Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is my most recent picture. I have the silver 79 and a friend just sold the black 72 to another friend. We got a friend's 81 running properly on the morning I took this photo. He was having timing issues that were an easy fix.

My 79 has 59,000 original miles. I've owned it since 2000 when it had 31,000 miles on it. It sat in a barn for 15 years and was owned by a car collector/hoarder prior to that. It still had tires date stamped 1983 on it, Pirelli V belts, and I found two original paper stickers underneath the car. It had a nearly perfect red interior that finally reached the point that it was far too brittle to keep, so I had no choice but to replace it about 8 years ago. I swapped over to a tan interior at that time.

View attachment 74144
Nice! Are those Panasports and are those 15" tires?

Larry

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are 15s, but are the Competizone rims from Mark Allison at Allison's Automotive. It made a massive difference in how the car handled in the curves.
I've seen those rims in pictures but never in person. Are you running tires much bigger than 205/60-13's - I'm pretty sure that's what size I have on my Spider. If they are, what changes did you do to the suspension?

My curiosity is because my 1st Spider had a modified suspension from the previous owner. Cut springs and white KYB's. Except the suspension was so stiff, it destroyed the top of the shock towers in the engine compartment. (That's one of several reasons I no longer have that car).

Larry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
195/55/15. A couple people put the 205s on the same rim. The suspension is 100% stock. The ride is reasonable without being too harsh. I have a set of progressive lowering springs that I haven't installed yet. that will come with time. I will likely install them over the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah. It happens. I find I also get yelled at a lot while stopped at lights... usually "Hey... what is that?". lol

I'd be cautious about any abrupt braking though, as we're so low that a pickup would go over us like a speed bump. :)
I get people yelling asking me "what is that?" too. Then they say "pretty car!" I just smile, flex my black leather clad driving gloves over the wheel and let them relish in the exhaust note as I roll away. hehe

21 - 25 of 25 Posts