Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
John, I don't wish to argue with you. I often do however, with you and others, because I feel that we all have an ethical, moral, if not legal obligation to others in the advice we provide to them. However it is your car; within the laws of your jurisdiction you may maintain and drive it in any manner you wish.

Cyberbill, I would implore you to search through the substantial body of evidence that exists on this subject, there is no need for you to simply take my word for what I am telling you (nor would I want you to). I've attached two links, not because they are written by anyone of academic note, but because they are easy to understand:

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/05/keep-your-engine-alive-the-importance-of-oil-temperature/

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks

John, I don't wish to argue with you. I often do however, with you and others, because I feel that we all have an ethical, moral, if not legal obligation to others in the advice we provide to them. However it is your car; within the laws of your jurisdiction you may maintain and drive it in any manner you wish.

Cyberbill, I would implore you to search through the substantial body of evidence that exists on this subject, there is no need for you to simply take my word for what I am telling you (nor would I want you to). I've attached two links, not because they are written by anyone of academic note, but because they are easy to understand:

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/05/keep-your-engine-alive-the-importance-of-oil-temperature/

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/

Thanks Pete... for the two links. They helped me a lot, to keep my car running properly.

Bill

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have been driving cars and motorcycles for over 55 years. I average about 15,000 miles a year. I have owned cars that I have put over 200,000 miles on. My brother has been an Alfa Romeo racer and mechanic since 1968, and still works on vintage Alfa race cars. I rely on him for how to treat Alfas and Fiats. I have overhauled engines, carburetors and transmissions. The only engine that ever failed me was one I hired someone else to rebuild. As has been stated on this site, modern engines and modern oils are made to operate from cold starts. Much of the advance in technology has come from the development of hybrid cars, of which I have owned three, which could not operate without cold start/run capability.

That being said, you don't have to take my advice.

The tuneruniversity article is interesting. I'm glad I read it. His major caution is focused on highly tuned, built engines. His example of the Honda VTEC engine is more on point. He points out that the VTEC won't give you ideal power until the coolant is up to operating temperature. (as in the blue light goes off) His advice: Drive it for 5 minutes before you push it. Duh, that's about what it takes for the blue light to go off.

The Hot Rod article is not focused on cold starting and running. It is focused on optimum power and high oil temperature.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Moto Pete
on this subject, there is no need for you to simply take my word for what I am telling you (nor would I want you to).

A touch of humility is encouraging. Good post, as are many of your posts.

Sorry for my clumsy quote. I don't know how to select part of a post.
That's very kind of you, thank you! :)

I always try to back up my assertions with links to those who are able to express concepts more eloquently than I. I'm glad you find them useful.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Phew!

So. If your water temp looks reasonable, then don't sweat it. Right?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Phew!

So. If your water temp looks reasonable, then don't sweat it. Right?
Not entirely, there are other variables to consider but I don't wish to start more bickering.

As I said earlier there is a substantial body of evidence from which people can draw their own conclusions.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have at home a 30KW Kohler genset powered by a Chevy four banger running on propane. I buy the oil filters at the parts store. It will test itself once a week for 20 minutes, and has around 400 hrs of use. When it starts, it goes from zero to max RPM's right now, and stays there until shut down. Longest it ran was about three days after a hurricane and I found out how much propane the sucker was using. I put it on a diet after that. I use Shell Rotella, same oil used for my tractors, mowers and diesel Gator. I buy it at Sam's club. Once a year I change oil and filter, gunk it down, wash off and spray with silicone, and done. It still almost looks like new. Same for our cars and truck, as far as the gunk, wash, and spray silicone.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have at home a 30KW Kohler genset powered by a Chevy four banger running on propane. I buy the oil filters at the parts store. It will test itself once a week for 20 minutes, and has around 400 hrs of use. When it starts, it goes from zero to max RPM's right now, and stays there until shut down. Longest it ran was about three days after a hurricane and I found out how much propane the sucker was using. I put it on a diet after that. I use Shell Rotella, same oil used for my tractors, mowers and diesel Gator. I buy it at Sam's club. Once a year I change oil and filter, gunk it down, wash off and spray with silicone, and done. It still almost looks like new. Same for our cars and truck, as far as the gunk, wash, and spray silicone.
Forgot to add, every three years I drain and replace the antifreeze

21 - 32 of 32 Posts