Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to Mount Rainier and Mount St Helens.

My 90-year old aunt from Costa Rica is visiting, so we took a three-day road trip.

I was able to fit in the trunk:
  • A 30-qt cooler with food and beer
  • A picnic bag with dishes, cups, utensils and more food
  • A backpack with clothes and toiletries for two people
  • My DSLR camera, tripod and a pair of binoculars
Overall, the car did very well. This the most I’ve ever loaded the car, and neither the engine nor the suspension seemed to mind. The seat and the suspension are pretty comfortable and the car was a joy to drive.

I averaged 37 MPG on mostly highway driving, which is impressive. Driving speeds ranged from 25 to 50 MPH most of the time; we did a couple of freeway stretches at 70 MPH.

The tire and exhaust drone are quite fatiguing, though, and the navigation system is just stupid; it couldn’t find squat. I ended getting the coordinates of the places we were going to on Google and keying them in. And I didn’t bother turning on music; the drone was simply too loud.

Other than that, it was all peachy. I don’t see getting rid of this car any time soon.

As usual, we got stares, double takes, thumbs up and compliments wherever we went.

Here are some shots:
Cloud Sky Vehicle Mountain Tire

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Mountain

Tire Sky Plant Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape Highland

Tire Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Cloud Sky Car Land vehicle Mountain

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Tire Sky Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Who took the picture of you in motion? I ask because both driver (of course) and passenger seat appear to be occupied. And how much top-up motoring did you do?
Now you're forced to go visit her and show you around the outdoors in CR!
I don't see any downside to that. Some great roads there for Spiders.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was most of your driving top up or down?
About half and half. The weather was perfect for drop down driving, but we encountered lots of wildfire smoke on the way there and back.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who took the picture of you in motion? I ask because both driver (of course) and passenger seat appear to be occupied. And how much top-up motoring did you do?
I don't see any downside to that. Some great roads there for Spiders.
If you are referring to the first photo, the car is parked there. There’s this section where the road is one way only with a wide parking lane: it looks like we are driving on a two-lane road...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biggest drawback of the car during the entire trip was the tire and exhaust drone. They were truly tiresome.

The exhaust drone is self-inflicted: I replaced the factory exhaust with a resonated Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport with no muffler. The tire drone is a result of the car’s lightweight construction combined with the coarse road surfacing we get around here. I’m going to have to see if I can add sound deadening over the rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thanks for the post.

Sometimes I wish I had a throatier sounding exhaust, but I also take mine on longer trips. A good heads up.

And yes to the tire noise as well. I have fairly aggressive all seasons on because of where and when I drive, and the noise can ruin the driving experience. I will look for the quietest tire next time even if performance may suffer on certain occasions.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,454 Posts
The biggest drawback of the car during the entire trip was the tire and exhaust drone. They were truly tiresome.

The exhaust drone is self-inflicted: I replaced the factory exhaust with a resonated Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport with no muffler. The tire drone is a result of the car’s lightweight construction combined with the coarse road surfacing we get around here. I’m going to have to see if I can add sound deadening over the rear wheel wells.
Hi @Aldo, do you mind saying what brand/model of tire you are using? And is there any cupping or uneven wear on tire treads (which can cause noise, and usually a sign of improper alignment). About the first pic, my thoughts were "car parked, camera on a tripod, wide angle lens, remote release". Your photography is special, I'm impressed! Best, s

·
Registered
828 Posts
...to Mount Rainier and Mount St Helens.

My 90-year old aunt from Costa Rica is visiting, so we took a three-day road trip.

I was able to fit in the trunk:
  • A 30-qt cooler with food and beer
  • A picnic bag with dishes, cups, utensils and more food
  • A backpack with clothes and toiletries for two people
  • My DSLR camera, tripod and a pair of binoculars
Overall, the car did very well. This the most I’ve ever loaded the car, and neither the engine nor the suspension seemed to mind. The seat and the suspension are pretty comfortable and the car was a joy to drive.

I averaged 37 MPG on mostly highway driving, which is impressive. Driving speeds ranged from 25 to 50 MPH most of the time; we did a couple of freeway stretches at 70 MPH.

The tire and exhaust drone are quite fatiguing, though, and the navigation system is just stupid; it couldn’t find squat. I ended getting the coordinates of the places we were going to on Google and keying them in. And I didn’t bother turning on music; the drone was simply too loud.

Other than that, it was all peachy. I don’t see getting rid of this car any time soon.

As usual, we got stares, double takes, thumbs up and compliments wherever we went.

Here are some shots:
View attachment 95116
View attachment 95118
View attachment 95123
View attachment 95119
View attachment 95121
View attachment 95114
View attachment 95120
View attachment 95122
View attachment 95115
View attachment 95117
Great post and lovely pictures. I think it should be a rule that everyone should have at least one road trip per year.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi @Aldo, do you mind saying what brand/model of tire you are using? And is there any cupping or uneven wear on tire treads (which can cause noise, and usually a sign of improper alignment). About the first pic, my thoughts were "car parked, camera on a tripod, wide angle lens, remote release". Your photography is special, I'm impressed! Best, s
Thanks!

I'm using 225/50R16 General G-MAX all seasons. They are in good shape; have only 10,000 miles and had them rebalanced and rotated before the trip. The tires slide a little in wet conditions but am happy with them overall.

The tire drone is definitely the result of the tires rolling on coarse road surfaces; I can clearly hear the increase in drone as soon as the road surface changes.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
2020 124 Abarth Convenience Group - Nav and Sound - Visibility Group - AT
145 Posts
great pics and story. thanks for sharing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts