Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the new brakes over the weekend. Man! What a difference over the stock brakes. The kit was straight forward and easy to install. Just read the instructions. Very well done. The kit also comes with the larger 2-piece rotors. Much more surface area than stock or optional Brembos.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just installed the new brakes over the weekend. Man! What a difference over the stock brakes. The kit was straight forward and easy to install. Just read the instructions. Very well done. The kit also comes with the larger 2-piece rotors. Much more surface area than stock or optional Brembos.
Nice setup! Do you have any pics with the rim on? I would like to see how it fills out the look of the wheel. Also, any plans to do anything with the rear setup?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What is the 'black' coating? Presumably just a protectant for the unswept areas, or is it just the lighting?

Where did you get them from?

How was bleeding them; did you use any 'special' brake fluid, or just DOT4; did you replace the complete fluid, back also?

(I'll skip the 'whats your favorite color' question...)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rotors come painted. It keeps the steel from rusting after the surfaces are burned in. Really smart idea. The cross drilled holes and the edges will always look good. Paint is gone after 1 or 2 stops. I got them from Madness Autoworks. You bleed them just like any other brakes. Since the car is practically new, there's no need to replace the fluid. As a matter of fact, it won't take very much at all. I used DOT3, as per the book.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Want, but I'd probably go with the Wilwood 4 piston calipers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have an Abarth, any type of brake upgrade is a necessity with these cars. They are inadequate for the handling capabilities and the extra performance. Under even less than excessive hard braking, they start to fade quickly. If someone doesn't know what they're doing, they will get in serious trouble. Right after I bought the car, I was coming down California highway 1, through Big Sur, dicing with a Porsche, through some very tight hairpin turns. The suspension handled beautifully, but I had to go shallower and shallower into the turns, and brakes were quickly going away. The factory brakes are just marginal with the Classica and the Lusso. The Abarths, at least should come standard with the Brembos, and just add it into the cost of the car. I don't know how the Miata gets away with these brakes, although they have less handling capabilities and they're a little lighter.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A big question for me is do the brakes need to heat up initially before they give you any real good bite?? I remember switching to a more street/track optable pad and rotor setup on my prior car and they needed to be heat up first when driving before you got any good feel and bite out of them

·
124 Spider Vendor
894 Posts
The pads included with the standard kit are going to feel like stock pads with good cold bite.

We do offer dual purpose pads that need a little more heat and in exchange go a lot higher in heat range...but that's an option with some of our kits, not what's in the box. I user Porterfield R4-1 on our toys because that's a Carbon/Kevlar pad that can handle Street, Autocross, and Track.

Our Front and Rear FOUR piston setup on our Fiat 124.

Six Pistons on stock rotors....we make our own conversion kits.

6 Piston BIG Brakes

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that the big big brake kit, from GWR?
I got mine at Madness Autoworks in Signal Hill, CA. I didn't see it on GWR site, but I'm sure he can get it if he's a Willwood dealer. Mine is the 6 piston big brake kit, cross drilled and slotted. He has the 4 piston Willwoods for front and rear in his site. Mine also came with the 12.88" 2 piece rotors. Major upgrade over the stock rotors with or without the Brembos. I think the factory rotors are 11".

·
124 Spider Vendor
894 Posts
We have the 12.1 Wilwood kit on our site at THIS LINK, heck of a deal for big brake kit that starts at $699.

But for 12.88 we decided we had to make our own...which is at THIS LINK. Why? Because in very hard track use we found a problem with the Wilwood 12.88 kit, when the pads get down to about 25% and you have max thermal expansion of the aluminum hat....then the pad backing plates start to eat the hats. Not a safety issue, just cosmetic damage. Yes, we have notified Wilwood of the issue. Since many of our customers are using the 12.88 for serious track work on the Miata (and eventually the Fiat), we make our own 12.88 two piece setup that does not have the interference issue when severely heated. Until we are convinced Wilwood solved the issue on their version of the 12.88 kit, it will not be on our site.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have the 12.1 Wilwood kit on our site at THIS LINK, heck of a deal for big brake kit that starts at $699.

But for 12.88 we decided we had to make our own...which is at THIS LINK. Why? Because in very hard track use we found a problem with the Wilwood 12.88 kit, when the pads get down to about 25% and you have max thermal expansion of the aluminum hat....then the pad backing plates start to eat the hats. Not a safety issue, just cosmetic damage. Yes, we have notified Wilwood of the issue. Since many of our customers are using the 12.88 for serious track work on the Miata (and eventually the Fiat), we make our own 12.88 two piece setup that does not have the interference issue when severely heated. Until we are convinced Wilwood solved the issue on their version of the 12.88 kit, it will not be on our site.
Brian I don't intend to use mine on the track, so I guess it shouldn't be an issue?? Just so I understand, are you referring to the clearance between the pad backing plate and the edge of the hat? If so, the clearance must be really tight, unless there's a lot more thermal expansion of the aluminum than I would expect. If so, there must be these same issues with a lot of other systems. Are you using the same center clamp for the braided line that comes with the Wilwood kit? I noticed it in one of your images. I guess for the street it's OK, but it doesn't look to kosher for track use. I was actually wondering if you had something more substantial. Thanks and appreciate the info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts