Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine a B&W negative of the photograph of a plate of spaghetti on the ground. Isn't that what our engine bay looks like? I have never owned a car with such an incomprehensible mess of lines. Take one of the few that I can follow: the brake booster line goes from the left side of the car to the right side of the car, and back to the engine, and then to the back of the engine. Easily twice the car's width with a dozen corners!
I know that, for an engine, looking good is not much of a requirement compared to working well.... But still... >:)
You agree?

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Imagine a B&W negative of the photograph of a plate of spaghetti on the ground. Isn't that what our engine bay looks like? I have never owned a car with such an incomprehensible mess of lines. Take one of the few that I can follow: the brake booster line goes from the left side of the car to the right side of the car, and back to the engine, and then to the back of the engine. Easily twice the car's width with a dozen corners!
I know that, for an engine, looking good is not much of a requirement compared to working well.... But still... >:)
You agree?
A lot of this is because it was designed for a front drive application and when they put it into a rear drive chassis some things had to be changed. For example, when the engine is in there transversely with the transaxle off to one side like in a front drive car (a configuration Fiat invented by the way) that puts the vacuum pump (needed because of multi air) very near the power brake booster. It also puts the intake manifold right there.

Now turn it to be longitudinal. Everything is a little out of place and the lines need to be longer to account for that. Add in the fact that Fiat's evap system is more complex, but more effective than most other turbo cars and that accounts for a lot of the plumbing.

If you guys would like I can make a diagram of what's what under the hood. Once you understand it, then it all makes sense and will be pretty easy to identify things.

Your overall point is correct though, there is a lot of plumbing under the hood, but it does serve a purpose.

Greg

·
Registered
351 Posts
You agree?
Could be worse.

>:)

·
Registered
958 Posts
You agree?
You need to look at an older Alfa Spider with Webers on it. It will do you good.:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm going to keep the hood closed. Compared to my Corvette the whole thing is just plain ugly. In fact, it's the ugliest engine bay I've ever seen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't played around in one, but yes -- from the pics I've seen, the bay is very... complex. The good news is that it appears to be roomy.

My last car had enough room around the engine to fit your hand, or a wrench, but not both at the same time :D

Changing the MAP sensor on the intake manifold Y-pipe nearly gave me Tourette's Syndrome.

Photo attached for reference :)

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
...If you guys would like I can make a diagram of what's what under the hood. Once you understand it, then it all makes sense and will be pretty easy to identify things.

Greg
Yes please - as long as you're volunteering. :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I haven't played around in one, but yes -- from the pics I've seen, the bay is very... complex. The good news is that it appears to be roomy.

My last car had enough room around the engine to fit your hand, or a wrench, but not both at the same time :D

Changing the MAP sensor on the intake manifold Y-pipe nearly gave me Tourette's Syndrome.

Photo attached for reference :)
You have obviously not installed the cam speed sensor on the Euro+Drive Lite, or that would be the "tight fit" situation you would be referencing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You have obviously not installed the cam speed sensor on the Euro+Drive Lite, or that would be the "tight fit" situation you would be referencing.
That's the only reason I haven't bought the EDL - big hands and really don't have anyone handy nearby that I would trust. I'd hoped to just drive up to Tulsa and see Greg but I guess EC doesn't have a shop there. Eventually I'll get around to it I suppose.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That's the only reason I haven't bought the EDL - big hands and really don't have anyone handy nearby that I would trust. I'd hoped to just drive up to Tulsa and see Greg but I guess EC doesn't have a shop there. Eventually I'll get around to it I suppose.
Don't get me wrong. It is well worth the effort. I don't think hand size is that big of an issue. I had my 14 year old grandson, my 5'2" daughter and my 6'4" son-in-law try it. I was able to get it done, even though I have large hands. It is not the size that matters. It has to do with perseverance, and keeping the yellow tab from locking before the connector clicks on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts