Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Mopar website to buy the Record Monza exhaust but apparently the one they are selling will not fit our Abarth. It gives me the option to order with a classica or lusso but says it is not a match with the Abarth. I'm wondering if this is a hiccup in the system or if there is something else preventing us from getting it. Either way, I'm disappointed at the moment.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Strange. Seems the Abarth owner would be the primary consumer of the RM exhaust. Hopefully a glitch. Any contact info? I couldn't find the section of the website you are referring to. What are they asking for it?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Isn't that the exhaust that's already on the Abarth?

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
No. That sure looks like the Record Monza that was designed for the Abarth and is OE on the UK version. I'm 95% certain of it. I think Mopar have confused themselves.

·
Registered
615 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is no Record Monza exhaust for the Fiat. It has only ever been listed as an option for the Abarth.

What causes confusion for the U.S. market is there is no Abarth brand, only Fiat. Abarth is a trim level.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
The Abarth 124's shipped for North American sales have a lot of things stripped out of the build. The monza exhaust is one of the key components that is a mechanical portion of the build. Aside from that, it's mostly branding that has been stripped out... steering wheel has a Fiat logo instead of Abarth, the Abarth lightning fender badges above the front fender turn lights, engine cover shows Fiat instead of Abarth, cap for tow hook in front grille is black instead of red, front lower spoiler trim is black instead of red...

I agree with the other assessment that the Mopar rep you spoke with doesn't understand the product. When I checked with my dealer here in Alberta, they told me this was the OEM replacement for the Abarth 124, giving it back the growling snarl that we owners of the 500 Abarth enjoyed so much. In my humble opinion, the stock Abarth 124 exhaust is okay, but a little tame for my preference.

·
Registered
560 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is no Record Monza exhaust for the Fiat. It has only ever been listed as an option for the Abarth.

What causes confusion for the U.S. market is there is no Abarth brand, only Fiat. Abarth is a trim level.
My dealer ran my VIN for compatiblity (a Lusso) and its supposed to fit, however the product isn't available yet.
the Mopar site lists it as for 2017 Fiat Spider. Doesn't specify trim.

·
124 Spider Vendor
895 Posts
Anything that fits the Lusso/Classica bumper cutouts....will also fit the Abarth cutouts.

BUT...just so you do not get surprised,think about what that means. It means the two little tips get a bit lost in the big Abarth cutout. We tried the same plan, making one quad for all versions of the bumper. By popular customer demand now making another version of our Quad for the Abarth's much bigger bumper cutout. So, as long as they make just one version, it does fit but might be a bit small looking in the big hole.

Our Classica/Lusso Quad...notice cutouts.

Our Abarth Quad, tips are BIGGER because the cutout is much bigger.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree. The standard Mopar Sports Muffler sounds ok but a little mild. That is when it would be good to have the Monza Muffler. When and if that will be available?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anything that fits the Lusso/Classica bumper cutouts....will also fit the Abarth cutouts.

BUT...just so you do not get surprised,think about what that means. It means the two little tips get a bit lost in the big Abarth cutout. We tried the same plan, making one quad for all versions of the bumper. By popular customer demand now making another version of our Quad for the Abarth's much bigger bumper cutout. So, as long as they make just one version, it does fit but might be a bit small looking in the big hole.

If he's already got the Abarth, the RM he is trying to order will already have the bigger tips so will fit right in

·
Registered
40 Posts
I contacted the parts department at the dealership where I bought my Spider Abarth and asked them about the availability of the Monza Record exhaust system and they had no idea what I was talking about. The parts guy asked me to try and find a part number for the exhaust if possible, so I did. I had to take mine in for a thermostat replacement today so I went to the parts department with the parts/stock number. When they entered it into the system, it came back discontinued. I asked the guy how something could be discontinued when it had never been available to begin with. After some discussion with a couple of other parts guys, the conclusion was that it is not available yet and to keep checking every month. So...I guess those of us who want the "real" Abarth exhaust system will have to continue to wait.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

Sorry totally confused. Are the Abarth tips bigger to fit the bigger cutout?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Sorry totally confused. Are the Abarth tips bigger to fit the bigger cutout?
Yes. Brian offers two different quad tips, one that fits the cutouts on the Classica/Lusso, and one for the Abarth with larger tips.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yes. Brian offers two different quad tips, one that fits the cutouts on the Classica/Lusso, and one for the Abarth with larger tips.
Thanks Shark, his post threw me for a loop. Exhaust looks good but I don't want a whole lot more noise. My hearing is already challenged as it is, but keep thinking it would like my P2 tune even better

·
Registered
605 Posts
I contacted the parts department at the dealership where I bought my Spider Abarth and asked them about the availability of the Monza Record exhaust system and they had no idea what I was talking about. The parts guy asked me to try and find a part number for the exhaust if possible, so I did. I had to take mine in for a thermostat replacement today so I went to the parts department with the parts/stock number. When they entered it into the system, it came back discontinued. I asked the guy how something could be discontinued when it had never been available to begin with. After some discussion with a couple of other parts guys, the conclusion was that it is not available yet and to keep checking every month. So...I guess those of us who want the "real" Abarth exhaust system will have to continue to wait.
Here is an update on the Record Monza that I posted a few days ago :

http://www.124spider.org/#/topics/28689

I suggest that you and everyone else who is interested in getting the Record Monza give Mopar Performance a call. The more inquiries they get, the more incentive they have to release it.

·
124 Spider Vendor
895 Posts
Thanks Shark, his post threw me for a loop. Exhaust looks good but I don't want a whole lot more noise. My hearing is already challenged as it is, but keep thinking it would like my P2 tune even better
The tip size....is about fitting the cutout of each version of the car, a purely decorative choice with zero impact on sound level.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The tip size....is about fitting the cutout of each version of the car, a purely decorative choice with zero impact on sound level.
Although the larger Abarth tips do accommodate your baffles if you?re willing drill screw holes and you want to turn the noise down temporarily - right?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The last report from the guy with the 500 blog who supposedly has insider knowledge was that they’re finalizing regulatory approval for all 50 states and expect to have it ready for order some time in May. That seemed to be credible. It’s not the middle of May yet so the part number isn’t showing as available yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts