Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with 2017 spiders (and maybe 2018 too), DO NOT ignore the flashing green key light in the instrument cluster when you turn the car off. Your key fob battery is getting weak. And, a dead battery leads to no starting with the fob in your pocket, no door opening with the fob in your pocket, no trunk opening with the fob in your pocket, etc.

There are other threads that detail the dead fob battery issue. This one is just to let all know that it’s easy to take care, but you need to do it. My car is a 2017. The green light started flashing a month or two ago, and I just ignored it. Don’t. The idiot light actually worked, but as an idiot, I didn’t pay any attention.

Pages 9, 10 and 11 of the manual show how to change the battery – it’s really quite easy, just be careful of the plastic on the fob. CVS sells the CR2025 batteries – a two pack was less than $10, and it took 5 minutes to change the batteries on both fobs. The result – when my wife and I went out tonight everything worked and I didn’t have to take the fob our of my pocket.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the info. I generally just use one of the keys. Would they both degrade equally, or does using the fob drain battery power significantly more than the unused one?

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I change the batteries in both fobs when I put new ones in the house smoke detectors. I figure that it's a good time to do it all at once.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
126 Posts
My repairer left a fob on the car four four days and the battery ran down to 2.90 volts. Red light on dash and no request buttons worked. Had to go to the dealer to clear the warning light which took three hours. The other fob measured 2.93 volts so needed replacing anyway. Bunnings have the batteries for $5 for two, 5 minutes later all replaced. I alternate each fob to spread the usage.

A multi-meter can cost as low as $10, good enough to measure DC voltage. It means you can check all your batteries and saves that irritating trip to the store when your device fails.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the info. I generally just use one of the keys. Would they both degrade equally, or does using the fob drain battery power significantly more than the unused one?
If one of them is kept in reserve, away from the car, the battery in it should last longer as its not communicating with the sensor. That said, for the price, when you replace one, replace both. I can purchase the batteries in lots of shops near where I live, and if I can wait a couple of days, I can get them from Amazon. The battery size is that same as what I use in my welding helmet, so I tend to have a bunch of them on hand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Regardless of its location it is always trying to communicate with the car's sensor. It's why you never need to take it out of your pocket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This just happened to me on Friday. Changed battery and all good again.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
By the way a CR2032 battery will also fit and last a little longer.
Yeah... my green icon has been flashing for a few weeks now.

Anyway, I searched the interwebs for the difference between the 2025 and 2032 batteries. 20mm diameter for both, and 2.5mm and 3.2mm respective thicknesses. All sources said if the 2032 will fit in the mount, use it, as it will have a somewhat longer service life. I'll report back soon if it does not fit my fob.

I just bought the Duracell CR2032 lithium as a 2-pack at my local Ace Hardware for $7.99. The CR2025 was a single for $4.99.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Geez, to computer users, sorry for the giant pic of the batteries. That'll teach me to post a photo directly from my phone. Next time I'll hit the "thumbnail" button before posting a pic.

Steve.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nothing to be sorry for, its fantastic for us slightly older folk, I can actually read the numbers with out my readers :) (y)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've got a sentence in my article:
Some have reported that a 2032 battery will also work, but since it is 3.2 mm thick (vs. 2.5 mm), depending on where the ground contacts are incorporated into the battery "pouch", it may spread the ground contacts, such that 2025 batteries will no longer work reliably in the future.
Let me know if the ground contacts touch the battery side, or the backside. I can't recall from memory when I replaced my batteries.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for posting this innocenti
Both of my FOB batteries were weak and have been replaced. I plan on storing the keys further away from the car going forward.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Geez, to computer users, sorry for the giant pic of the batteries. That'll teach me to post a photo directly from my phone. Next time I'll hit the "thumbnail" button before posting a pic.

Steve.
Depending on your phone, when you insert a picture, try touching the image to select it, and if so, you may get re-sizing controls (the blocks on the four corners of the image) that you can use to reduce the size of the image. On a PC, if you do this while holding down the shift key, it will retain the aspect ratio while you resize it. I can't do that on my phone, so I have to eyeball the height to width as I shrink the image.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
(Deliberately going with big pics this time, I want to show some detail.)

Dan, the contacts (negative, I believe) are making contact on the bottom/center of the battery recess, shown in the photo. Positive is on the side of the battery.

In regard to using the stock size 2025 or the 2032, the thickness difference is .7mm. Not a lot, but enough that it is making for a very snug fit of the 2032. The round black battery cover sits perfectly against the orange moisture seal with the 2025. With the 2032, the cover does not want to sit naturally against the seal. The cover does not really press in place as designed, more just makes a perfect slip fit. The 2032 and its extra .7mm forces the battery cap up, and I'm depending on the fob case to hold everything pinched in position. Hopefully the moisture seal is not compromised.

I'll use these 2032 batteries (the package is open now, no return without a mfr. defect), but when they die, I'm going back to 2025 batteries. CR2025, that is my recommendation. Hopefully I'm not stressing the battery, circuit board, or the fob case.
Edit- the emergency key also fits a bit more snug inside the fob as well. No problem, just noticable.

(I went out to the garage and the fob functions perfectly without the warning blink on the dashboard.)

Steve.
ps- fob codes obscured so nobody can hack my ride! Not that I mistrust anyone here...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just replaced both of my batteries, too. They lasted about 2 years. The spare fob was discharged too. Never used it. My question is, I'm now noticing the green key fob light when I push in the clutch, but it disappears with the car starts. It does not blink when turned off.....so am I good to go? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
You are good to go. I have a good FOB and a bad one, meaning the batteries, and the car knows which is the good one

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
(Deliberately going with big pics this time, I want to show some detail.)

Dan, the contacts (negative, I believe) are making contact on the bottom/center of the battery recess, shown in the photo. Positive is on the side of the battery.

In regard to using the stock size 2025 or the 2032, the thickness difference is .7mm. Not a lot, but enough that it is making for a very snug fit of the 2032. The round black battery cover sits perfectly against the orange moisture seal with the 2025. With the 2032, the cover does not want to sit naturally against the seal. The cover does not really press in place as designed, more just makes a perfect slip fit. The 2032 and its extra .7mm forces the battery cap up, and I'm depending on the fob case to hold everything pinched in position. Hopefully the moisture seal is not compromised.

I'll use these 2032 batteries (the package is open now, no return without a mfr. defect), but when they die, I'm going back to 2025 batteries. CR2025, that is my recommendation. Hopefully I'm not stressing the battery, circuit board, or the fob case.
Edit- the emergency key also fits a bit more snug inside the fob as well. No problem, just noticable.

(I went out to the garage and the fob functions perfectly without the warning blink on the dashboard.)

Steve.
ps- fob codes obscured so nobody can hack my ride! Not that I mistrust anyone here...
View attachment 73861

View attachment 73860
I didn't think it fit, went with the 2025 which I had one off, and about 15 2032's!!

's

1 - 20 of 33 Posts