Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi all.......I wrote earlier in this thread about my friend with the Mercedes truck and his key conversion......Just spoken with him again to establish exactly what it was he had done. The Mercedes dealer removed his PRESS START button revealing a key slot and the car now has key ignition, He further states that he does not know if all or any other vehicles have this facility....Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi all.......I wrote earlier in this thread about my friend with the Mercedes truck and his key conversion......Just spoken with him again to establish exactly what it was he had done. The Mercedes dealer removed his PRESS START button revealing a key slot and the car now has key ignition, He further states that he does not know if all or any other vehicles have this facility....Cheers
ron
Well, here's a photo from the Serivce Information documentation... I don't see any "key slot". Just a wired socket for the starter button module to plug into. When I checked on the section that talked about removing the start button (switch) is basically just talks about disconnecting and removing the switch module. Alas, I don't see a simple solution... more so given that it's also tied into the theft deterrant systems for the vehicle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, here's a photo from the Serivce Information documentation... I don't see any "key slot". Just a wired socket for the starter button module to plug into. When I checked on the section that talked about removing the start button (switch) is basically just talks about disconnecting and removing the switch module. Alas, I don't see a simple solution... more so given that it's also tied into the theft deterrant systems for the vehicle.
View attachment 74583
Oh well......That's that idea out the window then, if it was just wires I suppose a barrel lock assembly could have been fitted but as it is wired into the security system...No Chance, Cheers Mr Pond....
Ron

·
Registered
790 Posts
On a side note, is it possible to push start one of these cars? We did this sort of thing all the time in my youth, but with all the electronics in these cars can this be done anymore?

·
Registered
122 Posts
On a side note, is it possible to push start one of these cars? We did this sort of thing all the time in my youth, but with all the electronics in these cars can this be done anymore?
Great question...although I have had no need to push /jump start my Spider I would expect that as it is a MANUAL transmission and you can select ignition by not using foot pedals then in 1st, ignition on, clutch & bite and your mate carefully pushing you in the right areas then you should be away easily enough. Maybe somebody who has been unfortunate enough to have to carry out this procedure could confirm, or....inform us about how advanced engineering and electronics has now stopped us from doing so ? Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Rampant speculation, but my understanding is that part of the theft deterrant system is not allowing the coils to generate spark unless the fob is recognized. I'm leaning towards it not being possible, buy some other members here with more knowledge than I may well correct me on that assumption.

And yes, I'm old enough that I've push started many vehicles "back in the day".... tractors on the farm being some of them. (If you could coast start it going down an incline, it was far easier and safer then popping the crank off the fender and attempting to do a crank start in front of the beast. Amusing side annecdote... back in the late 70's, one of my first vehicles was a new Lada 1500S. and it came with a hole in the front bumper, and a crank in the trunk to fit through it. lol)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Rampant speculation, but my understanding is that part of the theft deterrant system is not allowing the coils to generate spark unless the fob is recognized. I'm leaning towards it not being possible, buy some other members here with more knowledge than I may well correct me on that assumption.
That's kind of what I was thinking when I asked the question.

Back in the day I had a 1981 Toyota Corolla. One night I was out with my buddies and the starter (we correctly presumed) failed. Undeterred we kept our bar crawl alive for several more hours (yes, were were irresponsible) and simply push started the Corolla after every stop. No worries. The only danger was after I dropped the last guy off at his place and he got me going...I had to take extra care not to stall it on my way home as there was no one left to push!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

And yes, I'm old enough that I've push started many vehicles "back in the day".... tractors on the farm being some of them. (If you could coast start it going down an incline, it was far easier and safer then popping the crank off the fender and attempting to do a crank start in front of the beast. Amusing side annecdote... back in the late 70's, one of my first vehicles was a new Lada 1500S. and it came with a hole in the front bumper, and a crank in the trunk to fit through it. lol)
Calvain my uncle had one, yes I remember the crank ( the alternators were too weak)
guess what I still have the tire pressure gauge that I kept. I will post a picture tomorrow. Although the model was a Fiat124 but the inside was RUSKY cheap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great "Back in the day" stories which reminded me of my first 1966 MGB GT, starter motor was located under drivers side midships and that had habit of dying on occasions, but luckily for me I had wire wheels and a nylon headed hammer for the spinners, so, when the starter stopped, I would open the car door, reach behind me into the rear foot well, grab the hammer, lean out,firmly tap the motor and off we would go. The starter handle was a great piece of kit on the old side valve car engines as long as they did not have a fuel or earthing problem that is.......I still have an old starting handle in the garage, just in case........? Cheers
ron

·
Registered
122 Posts
Following CDPond's kind photo of the 124 Spider start assembly my friend with the Mercedes truck called around and lent me his Fob/Key and old Press Start button to show you guys how that works...quite cool really.....
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great "Back in the day" stories which reminded me of my first 1966 MGB GT, starter motor was located under drivers side midships and that had habit of dying on occasions, but luckily for me I had wire wheels and a nylon headed hammer for the spinners, so, when the starter stopped, I would open the car door, reach behind me into the rear foot well, grab the hammer, lean out,firmly tap the motor and off we would go. The starter handle was a great piece of kit on the old side valve car engines as long as they did not have a fuel or earthing problem that is.......I still have an old starting handle in the garage, just in case........? Cheers
ron
All this talk about starting issues and i wrote above Starter Motor when I meant of course FUEL PUMP ! just in case anyone thinks the MGB starter motor is under vehicle midships. Mind you, I did eventually remove the offending item and changed the internal set of points which were worn, these days I think people would just change the fuel pump but then I wanted to know how things worked and why they failed.....Sorry to anyone who has rushed out to replace their fuel pump with a starter motor !😃 Cheers
ron

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wasn't reading the description that carefully and assumed it was similar to the starter solenoid in my '74 Cortina, which needed some "encouragement" with the jack handle from time to time ...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Brexit: I was about to refresh your memory as to the fuel pump, but you beat me to it. I also had the handy dandy fuel pump wake up tool at all times in my MGs and Spridgets. If there was no clicking heard from the pump, it was hammer time.

I also recall driving a 1961 Midget with the starter removed while it was at the rebuilder. Parked on inclines everywhere oil I got the starter back. Ah to be found and stupid again...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Talking of being "Found" and stupid again.....me and mate mate (both aged 16 years) acquired for £50 a 1950 MG YA which had brilliant chrome headlights, fantastic body made from a Sherman tank I think but had a seized solid side valve engine which we were struggling to free, anyway, between bloody knuckles and much cursing we used to sit in the leather seats and press a button that made the MG Ya go up and down on it's internal jacks ! A posh guy with camel coat, cigar, land rover and trailer approached us one day with an offer of some £60.00 as long as we pushed the MG uphill to his land rover trailer.... Thinking we had found a mug we grabbed the cash and with the help of our buddies waved goodbye. I wonder what that car is worth now as even the wooden floorboards were good.
I never see anything like that happening with my precious Spider....I will continue enjoying driving, maintaining, modding as required, cleaning, polishing keeping on trickle charge and covered when not in use and then one day i shall pass on and the following day........my daughter will have sold the bugger !!!!😄 Cheers
ron

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ron: You need to have a serious conversation with the daughter. Motor on my friend! I'm done modding the Spider, done restoring cars, done building kits, Factory Five Mark 4 still in the fleet, Stalker Lotus 7 Replica with Supercharged 3.8 liter long gone, Bugeye (Frog eye to you) Sprite with full Mazda RX7 drive train also gone...just a waxer now...I enjoy what I have, drive them as often as possible, and occasionally just push them into the driveway, crack a pint and go ooh...ahhh...Cheers!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts