Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So either beware or offer a work around that 2 dealers could not. I started my car, had the fob in the car, got out of the car, it is set for auto lock, figured with the fob in it and the car running I was good. Guess again... could not open the car. Even though the fob was in proximity to the car it was IN the car and therefore the door handle would not unlock the car. Had to have someone bring me my extra fob from home, I was lucky to be local at the time. So beware, if you are set for auto lock when you leave the car you can't get out of the car while running and close the door with the fob in the car or you are locked out! WOW

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Wow, that shouldn't happen. Sounds like something Fiat needs to fix with a software update.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Another reason I disable as many of these "safety and security" features. I screw up enough on my own. Don't need help from anyone or anything in that department.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Wow, that shouldn't happen. Sounds like something Fiat needs to fix with a software update.
Not necessary, if you're in the car stopped at a red light, then anyone could come and open the door:eek:. I didn't activate this option, cause the way we're seated, my cell phone, keys and ect. do fall from the pocket.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Another reason I disable as many of these "safety and security" features. I screw up enough on my own. Don't need help from anyone or anything in that department.
Well this is one you actually have to activate - from the factory it is not turned on. I left mine off as I feel more secure not trusting a car to lock itself. But I'm surprised it would do it with the key in the car since if you otherwise go out of your way to leave the key in the car the car beeps annoyingly.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Aloha

Couldn't you get the emergency key cut and hide it somewhere on the car frame?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lesson learned

First, the walk away auto lock is disabled now. Second, I will never be without a spare just in case. I cannot believe it is designed this way.... but I am still enjoying the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the feature enabled, and when I walk away the car beeps 5 times and stays running, with the key on me I can't lock the door. When I go to get gas i leave the door propped a little so that I can open the gas tank door. So it sounds like if I want to keep the car running and lock the door, all i have to do is remove the key from the case and manually lock it. I wonder if the transponder is in the key.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That situation can often be omitted by reading the manual, which warns us of that. Still, I have gotten into the habit of unlocking the car before I get in and putting the key in my pocket!

·
Registered
483 Posts
as a simple solution, you can get a mazda key for a early model miata for example a 2000 or earlier and have it mechanically cut to match the key inside the fob. a pre PATS key will fit conveniently in your wallet, or may be taped to a hidden location on the outside of the car to facilitate entry. due to the need for the fob, the key will not start the car so you don't need to worry about someone stealing your car. or you can just keep your keys in your pocket, the car will continue to run even if you walk away.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts