1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
May be worth noting Bill....Uk and Mainland Europe have the explosive rear bonnet lifters fitted in that wing position and Thanks to the advices of Bob T of this forum that the SokieTech bonnet / hood lifters come with brackets that fit on the front bolt only so do not interfere with the operation of said bonnet lifters, fitted to lift rear of bonnet / hood in the event of a pedestrian falling on the bonnet front so limiting the potential injuries caused by such an event, we know that not only is the SofieTech kit quality and works as you described in your excellent tutorial, but is proven to be the correct fitting device for our UK vehicles. Not all are apparently....... Certainly Very Happy with mine.. Cheers
ron

Reactions: firstshadow

·
Registered
316 Posts
As have so many others - I recently installed Hood Struts on my 124 and the results are great.

Wifey also loves how light the hood is to open now.

Article at: BillaVista.com - 124 Spider Tech Article by BillaVista

Thanks! Placed my order today. Your excellent article convinced me to do this. Looking at your pictures and descriptions made it clear that even with my ham-handed wrenching skills, I can do this.:D

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Thanks! Placed my order today. Your excellent article convinced me to do this. Looking at your pictures and descriptions made it clear that even with my ham-handed wrenching skills, I can do this.:D
Just remember when they come they are fitted with you standing in front of the car "Not from the drivers seat" so the pair marked L are fitted to the right side of vehicle, the ones marked R to the left. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Wow this is the best kit I’ve seen so far. I think it’s time to buy.

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May be worth noting Bill....Uk and Mainland Europe have the explosive rear bonnet lifters fitted in that wing position and Thanks to the advices of Bob T of this forum that the SokieTech bonnet / hood lifters come with brackets that fit on the front bolt only so do not interfere with the operation of said bonnet lifters, fitted to lift rear of bonnet / hood in the event of a pedestrian falling on the bonnet front so limiting the potential injuries caused by such an event, we know that not only is the SofieTech kit quality and works as you described in your excellent tutorial, but is proven to be the correct fitting device for our UK vehicles. Not all are apparently....... Certainly Very Happy with mine.. Cheers
ron
Excellent point Ron

I'm very glad to hear this. It's precisely why I tend to "overdo" it with pics and descriptions.

Just remember when they come they are fitted with you standing in front of the car "Not from the drivers seat" so the pair marked L are fitted to the right side of vehicle, the ones marked R to the left. Cheers
ron
This wasn't actually the case with the set I bought. Not sure if it's a market difference? Point is to make sure the ball studs are oriented facing inwards towards the center-line of the car.

Wow this is the best kit I’ve seen so far. I think it’s time to buy.
You won't be disappointed Shark - they're great!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks. Love the step-by-step photos!

I’m buying a set today.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
The Sokie tech strike again :cool:
Not so fast firstshadow mine can do the same only $22. it sway 2" up or down and maintain a steady balance
By the way the car is smiling at you and I told her to keep her tongue in cause it wouldn t be polite.:D

Attachments

Reactions: Kturley

·
Registered
316 Posts
Done. This was a 10-minute installation, and went exactly as @BillaVista described, thanks! Love these SokieTech hood struts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
@BellaVista

I received my dampers today. The bolts on the fenders came off rather easily. However, I cannot get the bolts on the hood to come off. I have tried so hard that the heads are starting to strip. Is there a secret to removing those?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Never mind. I got the bolts off. I needed a new socket; my old Made in China socket was toast.

I'd add one step to the installation process:

Cover this hole with masking tape to avoid the bolts falling inside the fenders --don't ask how I know :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Now that sounds like fun...

What do they do? How does that help with pedestrian strikes? Very curious...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Because a rigid bonnet creates a nice knife to slice through someone... the idea is that the bonnet pops up and creates more of a ramp.

No idea if it works or helps.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
@BellaVista

I received my dampers today. The bolts on the fenders came off rather easily. However, I cannot get the bolts on the hood to come off. I have tried so hard that the heads are starting to strip. Is there a secret to removing those?
Aldo lad.....Levers, Fulcrums & Moments, school days the Teachers spoke about these things along with Y over 2 - 7 + Z ???? Lost me too ! However, I joined the Armed Forces as a trainee Aircraft Engineer and the Instructors said, "Forget all that Crap from school, you have a very tight nut to undo, you get the correct sized socket / spanner, a long extension bar and turn it and the nut undoes...and it did! So, for future reference Mate.....Get a decent socket set, I have some "Snap-On" but mostly ...and I love 'em " "Blue-Point" cheaper Snap[Ons !Cheers
ron

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
827 Posts
Because a rigid bonnet creates a nice knife to slice through someone... the idea is that the bonnet pops up and creates more of a ramp.

No idea if it works or helps.
From what I’ve seen, it looks more like it’s designed to quicken the blow to the head and knocking unconscious the unlucky pedestrian...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
HA! Yes, not the best image is it? I did read some months back that it has been tested and below 30mph can be difference between death/ serious injury and walking away. But can't remember where.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
HA! Yes, not the best image is it? I did read some months back that it has been tested and below 30mph can be difference between death/ serious injury and walking away. But can't remember where.
Ithink that report meant any accident and was in the Highway Code (could still be)....Car park accidents involving pedestrians stepping / running out in front of cars count for a lot of this kind of accident....the Moron pedestrians slides off the bonnet, says, "Oops..sorry" and moves on whilst the Eurocompliing motorist is left with a completely Goosed bonnet and a £xxxx's repair bill. That law must have come in mid 2018 as I noticed my early 2018 VW T-Roc launch model (06/01/18) does not have them fitted yet the Spider ( 30/04/18) does.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From what I’ve seen, it looks more like it’s designed to quicken the blow to the head and knocking unconscious the unlucky pedestrian...

View attachment 78381
I mean, it "could" have something to do with the placement of the bolts:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts