Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the rear red side marker lights/lenses, just behind the rear wheel, to get at the bulb?

For some reason, I’m now addicted to changing out all the incandescent bulbs to LED. As a side note, I’m annoyed that I had to had load resistors to the turn signals; I’d rather change out the relay - does anyone happen to know if it can be changed out, and where it is, and how to access it?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think the manual lies! I couldn’t get the reflector off at all to get at the bulb.

I went up from under the car, into the fender. After struggling for a bit, used a flashlight balanced up in the ‘drain hole’ (a 2 inch square hole), looked past the exhaust to the back of the reflector light, used some pliers to take the electrical connector off (if you have strong fingers, you may be able to do it) then twist the bulb holder about 45 degrees and take it out, holder and bulb.

Only light use of pliers is needed; it’s an awkward angle to get at the back of the reflector/housing.

Hope this helps anyone else who may struggle with this. Or, if someone manages to get the reflector off from the front, let us know. It seems like the Miata removes the reflector, but I couldn’t manage it. I’ll also add, looking at the back inside the fender, I’m actually not certain that the reflector will come off...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Both side markers are one piece

you can remove them as a whole but not individual bulbs

trust me I have tried to remove them. but it does not work

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you pop out the body color trim from the center of the tail light assembly, there are a couple of bolts that I believe hold the assembly to the car. Perhaps unbolting the tail light assembly and pulling it away from the car will make bulb changes easier. I have never tried it so I am not sure, but it is worth a shot.

There are instructions for removing the center trim in another thread in this forum here: http://www.124spider.org/forum/361-...593-removal-body-color-taillight-inserts.html

Also Ameridans Blog: http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...Fiat 124 Spider Forum&txt=Ameridan's 124 blog

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A bit of misunderstanding, above. These are the marker lights on the side behind the rear wheels.

A bit more research has revealed that the Miata front markers are similar to the rears (we don’t have front ones; it’s built into the headlight), and to remove them you have to get to the back of the reflector/light unit to remove it. If you have to get to the back, anyway, it’s just as easy (a relative term) to pull of the light connector, and twist the bulb holder out.

Also, I think I’ll change them out for red bulbs instead of white; probably will give the lights a ‘richer’ red color. These bulbs are the same type as the license plate bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts