Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks!

I posted this over in the introduction area but this is where I will be documenting the build. I just picked up my Abarth 124 last week as a replacement toy to my 500 Sport Turbo. This is going to happen in stages but this will be a relatively rapid build.

Here she is :)

Next weekend the car is heading to Tork Motorsports for tuning, intake and perhaps a little exhaust work if time permits. These guys helped me build a bad ass 500 so I'm game for them to do it again :D

After tuning is complete, I will be drive the car for a couple weeks to make sure it's 100% and then it's on to the stuffed turbo. After I've acclimated to the power delivery, then it will be time for the serious stuff. I have a fully built 1.4 MultiAir ready to go into the girl. It was originally for my 500T but after experiencing what a high-strung 500 was like as it closed in on 300, I decided to pick one of these instead as it just seemed to be a much better platform for that level of power. I will run the stuffed turbo on the built engine for a short spell but then it will be time for something bigger.

Here's the pics I have of my new engine. The bottom end was built by a local (to me) Canadian company called Evolution Auto Performance. These guys have a serious local reputation for building reliable big power engines. The cylinder head and valve train are done by Tork.

These are the rods and pistons before they went in.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I think you will like the 124 a lot more than the 500 in terms of performance potential. RWD really helps out.

Greg

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you will like the 124 a lot more than the 500 in terms of performance potential. RWD really helps out.

Greg
You're absolutely right! I'm already liking it a lot more :D

Out of the 5 days I've owned it, it's been up into the mountains 3 out of those 5 days. It's so addicting!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Awesome. If you don't mind me asking, how much power do you get from just the engine work and how much does something like that cost?

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
You're absolutely right! I'm already liking it a lot more :D

Out of the 5 days I've owned it, it's been up into the mountains 3 out of those 5 days. It's so addicting!
Don't get me wrong, I love my 500 Abarth, but the bottom line is that it's an economy car chassis. It's a decent chassis and Abarth did a good job with it, but the 124 has an actual performance car chassis.

Greg

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now this is super cool and something I must keep track of.

CP pistons as well?
Yes. They're CP Pistons. They're a little wider so the block was overboard 25 thou.

Awesome. If you don't mind me asking, how much power do you get from just the engine work and how much does something like that cost?
Rods and pistons were $2100 - These are what went into mine. http://damnfastdd.com/BrowseProducts/ShowProducts/500/Engine
Machining and building the bottom end was $600
The cylinder head porting and full valve train are around $2000

There's also the purchasing of bearings and the little pieces.

These prices are all USD.

The rods and pistons won't really add any power. This is just to add some strength to the engine. The cylinder head however is a different story. I'm not sure what kind of power to expect from that yet. I will post before and after dyno sheets when that part is complete.

The engine builders were astonished at the crank that comes in the block. They estimated the bottom end is good for 600+

Don't get me wrong, I love my 500 Abarth, but the bottom line is that it's an economy car chassis. It's a decent chassis and Abarth did a good job with it, but the 124 has an actual performance car chassis.

Greg
I agree again. The 500 is a wonderful little economy car and the Abarth version is such a fun iteration of that. They did a great job with it... but yes, the 124 is a proper little sports car.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. I stared at them as long as possible before they went into the block (which was not long :p)

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John from Tork started doing some basic tuning this weekend. Aiming for 185-190 on the stock car before heading back to Canada. Made 174 yesterday (up from a baseline of 154).

John also added a 5k launch control. It's gets up off the line quickly. Here's a quick video of it so far testing out launch control.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I hope things go well with Tork for you. Honestly, he doesn't have a good rep.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've known him for a while. A lot of smear campaigns but nothing palpable. He built my 500 and it was a beast.

This was my 500

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the dyno tuning results from this weekend. This is a mild tune on a bone stock car. As I drove it home, the adaptives smoothed out the power curve. I'm going to dyno it again when I head back to Tork in a couple weeks on this same tune. It felt like it picked up a bit more power from the adaptives. 5th gear is the 1:1 ratio so the end result was 182 horsepower and 210 foot pounds up from 156/186.

4th Gear

5th Gear

2nd - 3rd - 4th

It was nice feeling the power go back up. This thing felt so slow compared to my old big turbo 500.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Good luck with your build. Thanks for posting this info. Before and after Dyno charts are really what is needed to make informed decisions.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck with your build. Thanks for posting this info. Before and after Dyno charts are really what is needed to make informed decisions.
I completely agree. Once John confirms that the tune stayed solid after the adaptive period, he will be offering this as a Stage 0 tune with a handheld.

·
Registered
575 Posts
John from Tork started doing some basic tuning this weekend. Aiming for 185-190 on the stock car before heading back to Canada. Made 174 yesterday (up from a baseline of 154).

John also added a 5k launch control. It's gets up off the line quickly. Here's a quick video of it so far testing out launch control.

https://youtu.be/fDlnc-RnPKU
Now that was a great launch! Just enough that it slipped the tires and you didn't bog down, but not so high that it just held you down spinning. Love it !!

Still on stock tires?

1 - 20 of 364 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.