Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
that just seems to be on US models, some sort of cheap way to produce a 'running light' effect, not on UK cars.
I'm pretty certain that Aus gets UK spec cars, so we don't have that either.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same problem here.

So what's the orange thing in the corner of bffmike's headlight? Huh?
As others have stated, it's the US DOT version of an otherwise attractive headlamp.

For some goofy reason, US DOT is obsessed with chucking an orange reflector inside every headlamp (or in some models, the parking lamp embedded in the front fascia).

The latter option is MUCH cheaper to replace -- when the reflector is contained within the headlamp assembly, it's a very expensive cosmetic fix (MSRP of euro-spec headlamp, plus shipping as it cannot be obtained through dealerships on this side of the pond).

Oddly enough, I don't know of many states which provide a thorough inspection and actually look for the orange bit. Same goes for cat converters, the whole lot. The attendants at my local TDOT inspection station are apathetic and usually sending tweets while the vehicle is hooked up to the scanner. As long as your car doesn't generate a CEL which would indicate potential genocide of polar bears, you're released with a pat on the back and you're on your way for the next 364 days.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Same goes for cat converters, the whole lot. The attendants at my local TDOT inspection station are apathetic and usually sending tweets while the vehicle is hooked up to the scanner. As long as your car doesn't generate a CEL which would indicate potential genocide of polar bears, you're released with a pat on the back and you're on your way for the next 364 days.
Wow. Get caught de-catting here and you are in BIG trouble. It's definitely not worth the risk. Our Environmental Protection Agency can (and does) impose fines of up to $10k per offence.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow. Get caught de-catting here and you are in BIG trouble. It's definitely not worth the risk. Our Environmental Protection Agency can (and does) impose fines of up to $10k per offence.
What's funny is that each state has different rules, each county has different rules, and each city usually follows the mandate of the county.

So, I live in a county which neighbors Davidson county (Nashville metropolitan). If you share a border with Davidson county, the testing is mandatory and they're "supposed" to check under the car with a mirror to see if you have the cats (though they seldom do).

Two counties over from Davidson... there's absolutely no requirement for testing whatsoever. You could literally run with open headers if your eardrums could tolerate it. You mail in a check for your wheel tax once a year, and call it a day. What's stupid is that many of the people who commute to Nashville for work are coming from 1-2 counties over... so, you could drive to Nashville in a 1985 Chevrolet belching smoke through a catless exhaust, and be completely within your legal right to do so.

That's an anecdotal example, but it just highlights the futility of our testing -- which explains the apathy of the inspectors making $7.25 per hour.

·
Registered
351 Posts
that just seems to be on US models, some sort of cheap way to produce a 'running light' effect, not on UK cars.
I think it's because the NHTSA wants white light visible only in front (except back-up lights), red in the back, and yellow from the side. They want it clear what part of the car you're actually seeing at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts