Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the GWR battery mount and the Battery Tender 480 battery. Install was straight forward and easy.

The problem is this battery has very little in reserve. I have the luxury package so I think with the keyless entry and alarm system the parasitic drain is just to much.

If I skip one day driving it the car barely turns over. Two days and it will not turn over. I left my daughter in the car for 10 mins, with the radio on, that killed it and it needed a jump.

I started carrying a jumper battery, kind of kills the point. I just put the stock Battery back in.

If you race I am sure the 35lbs in the nose is worth the hassle. But to much hassle for me to plug it in every night and worry about it not starting. I know GWR has no issues in the Miata and their 124, so it must be what I mentioned above.

Bummer

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
This is definitely not a daily driver mod. I believe the Good-win description says that they recommend keeping the car on a battery charger when not in use.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thought. You can connect these batteries in parallel. Two might make it a lot more livable and still save a lot of weight, but a new bracket would need to be designed by GWR.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is definitely not a daily driver mod. I believe the Good-win description says that they recommend keeping the car on a battery charger when not in use.
Yeah they do say a week or more it needs to be charged. I was okay with that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out, but thank you for sharing your experience. I've definitely been considering it and hadn't considered the luxury package items as a factor.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. It could be great as a swap out battery when you want to go to the track. Then just switch back in your regular "DD" battery ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on here that the larger battery is useful an allowing for post shut-down turbo cooling. That is not needed in the non-turbo Miata.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Another thought. You can connect these batteries in parallel. Two might make it a lot more livable and still save a lot of weight, but a new bracket would need to be designed by GWR.
This was kinda my thought. The lithium battery for race season, and another Pb-acid battery as a "helper" for cooler weather, etc. Lithium batteries are awesome, but they have their limitations. You could even use a marine battery isolator that lets the charging system keep the Pb-acid battery charged, but doesn't let it discharge unless you switch to it.

Best of both worlds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts