Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been looking around and asked some of the Venders still no answers hope you can help

How much boost does it have Stock

How high can i turn it up and still be safe(ISH)

How much boost can the turbo hold

how much Hp can the Motor take

Will the same Tuning software from the Miata work on the fiat

whats the widest tire that can fit under the car rear

I would like to make 250+ to the wheels

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
I can offer an answer on a couple.
The MX5 engine is a different beast entirely, no help there at all.
As far as tires go, don't stagger the sizes. Goodwin Racing put 235 tires on their 124 and it consistently sets top time at local autocross and has run very fast at Willow Springs. I think Goodwin is a good place to begin with development.
Their are larger intercooler and turbochargers available, and tuning modules too. I think you can do a lot with "plug and play" parts before cracking the engine open.
500 Madness, and EuroCompulsion bear mentioning too.
Best regards
Pete

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
Stock PEAK boost is 22psi. In actual operations the boost is usually lower.

Greg
There was a related question I've been meaning to ask.

Does the ECU command torque, or boost? In other words, is the limit to the power produced limited by the maximum boost the turbo can make, or rather does the engine make the commanded torque with however much boost it takes, up to a limit?

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
There was a related question I've been meaning to ask.

Does the ECU command torque, or boost? In other words, is the limit to the power produced limited by the maximum boost the turbo can make, or rather does the engine make the commanded torque with however much boost it takes, up to a limit?
It commands boost. It calculates torque and then alters boost if needed to keep it below limits.

Greg

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
It commands boost. It calculates torque and then alters boost if needed to keep it below limits.

Greg
So theoretically speaking, modifications that improve airflow (intake and exhaust), can actually improve power!

For the last 5 years, I've been used to the Cruze platform, where the ECU commands torque and no modifications you make actually improve peak power until you get it tuned. This is kinda nice.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Having the EDL under the hood, I have connected OBDII under the dash with the Torque APP.
Having observed the Boost, noticed maximum I had was 21.5.

Then I read somewhere on the board, that the extra boost produced by the EDL wil not show on the Torque APP cause the OBDII will not be able to read it since it occurs outside the OBDII.

I think GREG can explain better.

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
Having the EDL under the hood, I have connected OBDII under the dash with the Torque APP.
Having observed the Boost, noticed maximum I had was 21.5.

Then I read somewhere on the board, that the extra boost produced by the EDL wil not show on the Torque APP cause the OBDII will not be able to read it since it occurs outside the OBDII.

I think GREG can explain better.

I can explain that. First of all, no boost readings from the OBD2 port will show over 22psi, that's as high as they read. Even on a factory car that runs 25psi, if you read it through OBD2, it will only show 22, you need to connect an actual boost gauge to see the full value.

In the case of Euro+Drive LITE and all other piggy back type boxes, there is another issue. The device itself alters the signal to the ECU so it "sees" stock, or near stock values. Thus if you read through the OBD2 port, you only see what the ECU sees, thus stock or near stock values.

All this means that if you want to see actual boost on this car, you need to connect an actual gauge.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
So theoretically speaking, modifications that improve airflow (intake and exhaust), can actually improve power!
Yes, absolutely. I am familiar with the ECUs that use torque calculations as a primary means of regulating power. We do some work with those in other cars, but it's not really a factory on the 124 until you get into pretty high power levels.

Greg

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Greg,

The counsel from this forum has been (and continues) to be terrific. I simply improved airflow by adding your V1, Good-win quad exhaust and Go-Fast Bit DV+ diverter. The Spider runs fine for this 60 year old ... enjoying the ride a lot.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Romanojoe:

I did the GFB DV+ (dramatic difference), the Goodwin twin tail pipe muffler delete (love the sound), a EuroCompulsion ECU clone (much improved power delivery and drivability) and a Madness air filter/intake set up. Could not be happier with the results. This 65 year old is ear to ear grin every time he's behind the wheel!!! Best sports car I've ever had....and I've had a few....still do....the Fiat is the go to for any long ride....keep on trucking'....would not have done any of these mods without the information from this forum.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone know the weight

Yes, absolutely. I am familiar with the ECUs that use torque calculations as a primary means of regulating power. We do some work with those in other cars, but it's not really a factory on the 124 until you get into pretty high power levels.

Greg
Limit of the two people you can fit in the 124 Spider..I.E., what does the Factory say should be the cars limit of the occupants. Thanks :laugh:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Limit of the two people you can fit in the 124 Spider..I.E., what does the Factory say should be the cars limit of the occupants. Thanks :laugh:
pretty sure if you can fit in you will be within the weight limits, that is why they made it low to the ground with small seating.... at 5'10" nearing #200, I don't think a lot of really big people will be clamoring to the 124 / Miata salesman, isn't that why they invented the Chevy Tahoe?

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
pretty sure if you can fit in you will be within the weight limits, that is why they made it low to the ground with small seating.... at 5'10" nearing #200, I don't think a lot of really big people will be clamoring to the 124 / Miata salesman, isn't that why they invented the Chevy Tahoe?
I'm 6' and can sympathize with this statement.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm 6' and can sympathize with this statement.
sorry, but I just had to. I have heard too many complaints from larger people attempting to ride in my roadsters. started with an 86 Alfa Romeo Graduate. Still own a 00 Miata, 05 Boxster and 17 124 Abarth, so I am constantly hearing complaints about the interior size of my cars, and don't think someone who will be overburdening the gross weight limits will be looking for a ride anytime soon........ just my $ 0.02....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
340lbs. Thats one (1) American and one (1) Snickers bar. A Big Gulp will not fit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks..SJ..the reason I asked was I met this

340lbs. Thats one (1) American and one (1) Snickers bar. A Big Gulp will not fit.
women on the side of the road, and she asked me for a ride.. I said " Sure, but I don't think those melons will fit!" She said, " No Problem, I'll just place then in your trunk!!!" LOL. Wasn't she a beautiful back in her time??>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Romanojoe:
Best sports car I've ever had...
Every time i get whined at by the other half about my unhealthy obsession with my sports car i say it's not a sports car it is a roadster. i say that a sports car is all about speed and this car is about having fun carving up the back roads.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
Turn what up? Horsepower? Boost? RPM? The next question would be how do you plan on turning that up? What type of fuel are you going to use? What accompanying mods? What are the weather and driving conditions expected?

Keep in mind, people have blown stock engines, it's tough to do, but possible. On the other hand there are many dozens of 230-250 horsepower 1.4 turbos running around every day that hold up just fine.

Greg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts