Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned a UK Classica for 10 months (absolutely faultless) - some hints / tips ...

Took me a while to figure these out - perhaps useful for new owners?

Deadlocks
When you hit the lock button on the key fob, the car locks - but doesn't deadlock (double lock). Hit the lock button a second time (within 3 seconds) and the deadlocks then kick in, together with a 3-second dashboard light.

I now routinely click the key fob lock button twice - for security. This is extra useful if leaving the car with the roof open - double locking prevents anyone reaching inside and flicking one of the unlock levers that are within the interior door handles.

Interior Mirror
... the one glued to the inside of the windscreen ... has an extra pivot point which is not obvious. The mirror can be adjusted by hand as normal, but there is a separate axis of adjustment which allows you to raise (lower) the entire mirror in relation to the screen.

You can thus move the mirror right up against the top header rail, (then re-adjust as usual), considerably improving visibility of the road ahead.

Storage
A useful area hidden in the boot (trunk) - on the right hand side - there is an indentation for your finger in the trim - remove this flap - and behold.

This extra space has a jack holder (no jack supplied); it's a useful place for cleaning equipment, can of de-icer, emergency whisky etc.

Lights Come Home
After switching the ignition off, pull on the lights lever. This activates the headlamps - stops you tripping over your cat in the dark.
Hurry though - you only have 30 seconds.

Interior Motion Sensor
20 seconds after locking the car, the interior motion sensor kicks in (unless you disable it using button on key fob).
If however the roof is left open, then the interior motion sensor is disabled, which seems a pity - someones hand reaching into the cockpit won't trigger the alarm - but useful to know.

These hints are from my UK Classica - I guess other regions / models may differ.

Any others?

(One day I hope to read the user manual and then discover even more delights).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Didn't know about the "Cat Light"...

Having owned a UK Classica for 10 months (absolutely faultless) - some hints / tips ...

Took me a while to figure these out - perhaps useful for new owners?

Deadlocks
When you hit the lock button on the key fob, the car locks - but doesn't deadlock (double lock). Hit the lock button a second time (within 3 seconds) and the deadlocks then kick in, together with a 3-second dashboard light.

I now routinely click the key fob lock button twice - for security. This is extra useful if leaving the car with the roof open - double locking prevents anyone reaching inside and flicking one of the unlock levers that are within the interior door handles.

Interior Mirror
... the one glued to the inside of the windscreen ... has an extra pivot point which is not obvious. The mirror can be adjusted by hand as normal, but there is a separate axis of adjustment which allows you to raise (lower) the entire mirror in relation to the screen.

You can thus move the mirror right up against the top header rail, (then re-adjust as usual), considerably improving visibility of the road ahead.

Storage
A useful area hidden in the boot (trunk) - on the right hand side - there is an indentation for your finger in the trim - remove this flap - and behold.

This extra space has a jack holder (no jack supplied); it's a useful place for cleaning equipment, can of de-icer, emergency whisky etc.

Lights Come Home
After switching the ignition off, pull on the lights lever. This activates the headlamps - stops you tripping over your cat in the dark.
Hurry though - you only have 30 seconds.

Interior Motion Sensor
20 seconds after locking the car, the interior motion sensor kicks in (unless you disable it using button on key fob).
If however the roof is left open, then the interior motion sensor is disabled, which seems a pity - someones hand reaching into the cockpit won't trigger the alarm - but useful to know.

These hints are from my UK Classica - I guess other regions / models may differ.

Any others?

(One day I hope to read the user manual and then discover even more delights).
Maybe I can use that when my wife gets out the car...and stop tripping on her:D:DLOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
A "little thing" I have learned is that seat back angle makes a big difference. If your head is brushing the roof uncomfortably, try leaning it back a notch. It doesn't change your hands' distance to the steering wheel much, but can give you an extra inch of head clearance.

Also, the steering wheel is adjustable. The lever for it is on the bottom side of the steering column. I had no idea it was there and discovered it entirely by accident. It only adjusts up and down, unfortunately, not in and out.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I hit the lock a second time to "double lock" a brief horn sounds, which I dislike. I wonder if it states in the manual how to disable the horn.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yup - it's in the infotainment menu; also another way to do it - see p 34 of manual (may be different in US, but it's the 'doors' section).

First thing I changed - I HATE that noise. Particularly when it comes from someone else's car in the middle of the night, and wakes me up...

The thing I learned - from this website - was the presence of storage space behind each seat. I keep the excellent Mopar hood cover in there.

John 124 - I need a tip from you. The concept of STORING whisky is alien to me...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I keep the excellent Mopar hood cover in there.

I have been looking for a hood/half cover for ages. Cannot find one specifically for the Fiat in the UK.
Do you have a reference and supplier for you cover?
Thanks ..Danny

·
Registered
79 Posts
Product Price Quantity Total
FIAT 124 Spider Car Cover - SpiderDOME $59.99 1 $59.99
Sub-Total: $59.99
By Product Shipping Rate (International): $19.99
Total: $79.98

Should be the same for you. Worth it, I thought.

A bit off the thread, but that's part of the fun...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Someone else had it shipped over to the UK - there was a thread about it which I'm pretty sure included the shipping costs. They seemed pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
John, as another UK buyer did your car come with cup holders? Still haven't found any in mine.

The only other quirk that I noticed was... when stopping on a hill, if you leave the handbrake off and put it into first gear with your feet on the clutch and brake pedal, when you lift of the brake pedal the car magically holds itself stationary for 2 seconds in some hill assist mode.

I still haven't seen another 124 on the road !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
John, as another UK buyer did your car come with cup holders? Still haven't found any in mine.

The only other quirk that I noticed was... when stopping on a hill, if you leave the handbrake off and put it into first gear with your feet on the clutch and brake pedal, when you lift of the brake pedal the car magically holds itself stationary for 2 seconds in some hill assist mode.

I still haven't seen another 124 on the road !
Actually Ben - now you mention it - no - I never found any cup holders - I think I sort of assumed that perhaps it's not part of the UK Classica spec!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually Ben - now you mention it - no - I never found any cup holders - I think I sort of assumed that perhaps it's not part of the UK Classica spec!
Ben and John, you both should look up your build sheets and see how many cup holders came with your car. I didn't look it up today, but memory serves that the cup holders are almost $200. So unless you negotiated "$500 off and keep the cup holders" I would go collect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cup holders aren't part of the UK deal. If you go to the Fiat website and configure your dream car, they are extra.

I'm a bit wary of anything not solid being loose in a car since I had to brake abruptly when my wife was making a sandwich on a long trip. Hummus seems to have a particular affinity for carpets, wheel arches... and her shoes.

·
Registered
617 Posts
No cup holders with the UK Abarth either, but the space between the seat tilt adjust and inner sill holds a 500ml water bottle quite well!

My tally on road trip Italy was:
Black Abarth Lake Como
Black Lusso Brenner Pass
White UK reg Lusso Lake Como
White Abarth Bavaria

Not a lot about!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts