Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had an oil temperature sensor and an oil pressure sensor installed last week and logged some data today over the span of 27 minutes. Thought I'd share, as it might help some people with guessing when it's ok to push the pedal. ;)

Ambient temperature was around 50°F (10°C), a little rainy. Normal speeds, between 30 – 60 mph (50 – 100 kph), no hard acceleration, except for maybe one or two times. For example between 14:30 and 15:40 (oil temp rises faster). I have driven earlier, so oil was still at 70°F (20°C).

Didn't check or log water temperature. Blue light went out after around 3 minutes, from the chart I'd say around the time when oil was at 100°F (I stopped and idled for a while, which you can see in the pressure curve).

I thought, pressure would be lower, sooner.

The plan is to have these data delivered to the Infotainment System and show it via a custom app.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure the sensors and my code are reading good data, but I can't give any guarantees. Actual values might be off a little bit. I measured temperature in °C and pressure in bar (being from Germany) and converted them to °F and psi for you.
Sensors are sitting in the two originally unused sockets near the oil pump and oil pressure switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Can you share some light on what location did you put your oil tempreture sensor and pressure sensor?

Personally I think before it goes to the engine it is a good place for it

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Very cool! Hope to see more of this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you share some light on what location did you put your oil tempreture sensor and pressure sensor?

Personally I think before it goes to the engine it is a good place for it
There are two 1/2 inch sockets near the pump and filter and you can see the pressure switch between them, going 90° to the left (front of the car), I used adapters and 1/8 sensors from Prosport. Data seems correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
There are two 1/2 inch sockets near the pump and filter and you can see the pressure switch between them, going 90° to the left (front of the car), I used adapters and 1/8 sensors from Prosport. Data seems correct.
And which sensor do you use?

its a 2 in 1 sensor correct?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
How do you plan to project the data on the infotainment system?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that MazdaRacerDude over on mazda3revolution.com (same Infotainment System) managed to get his Bluetooth TPMS sensor data onto the Infotainment System with Arduino and libusb. I'm trying to do the same, based on his code. Unfortunately, it doesn't compile at the moment.

If anyone here is an Arduino, C or libusb expert, let me know. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
@68wooley

Is this your forte?

aloha mike
Lol - yes, maybe, kind of. :D;)

Not sure I've time for another project though. I've a list about about a mile long on the "to do" front, and at some point the weather's going to get it's act together and I'm going to get my car out and go driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you want to take a look at it, I can shoot you a PM with a short summary and the code that I have. Maybe it's just a short look for you and you figure out what I'm struggling with. I don't know your background, but I'm a web/frontend dev. I understand PHP, JS, basic Java, but C, thinking in bits and Little Endian makes my head explode. ;)

I'd be willing to sponsor the next tank of gas via paypal for substantial help to bring data from my Arduino to the Infotainment System. ;) (For everyone else reading this, limited offer, contact me first.)

Just checked gas prices in the US, heck I'd be willing to sponsor a few more, even.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts