Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to go to Southern California from No. Cal in a couple of weeks and I was set to take the usual road trip car, when my family asked if I was going to take the Spider. Two of us are going, I think we can handle the small space in the trunk for our luggage, etc., but I'm wondering how roughly 7 hours in the car will go as much as it's more limited as far as adjusting the seat. I'm going to have to do all of the driving. My passenger pointed out that a convertible would be really fun in SoCal.

Thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've spent 6+ hours in the car on multiple occasions and have never felt fatigued. The cabin is a bit cramped for two on a long drive - there's not much room to move around or stash books or refreshments.

If your passenger is agreeable then go for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife and I had to drive 3 hours back from Winchester where I bought the car. It was a great drive thou the Shenandoah valley, had a small cooler in the trunk. Was lucky to have a beautiful day and had top down.
Mark

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've spent 6+ hours in the car on multiple occasions and have never felt fatigued. The cabin is a bit cramped for two on a long drive - there's not much room to move around or stash books or refreshments.

If your passenger is agreeable then go for it.
Thanks for the reply. She is more than happy to do so...to be 16 and in a convertible in SoCal :) Not enough freeway experience to help drive though, and not the right car for that either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
One week (2000 miles) into a 3 week roadtrip right now with my wife. Expecting around 4500 - 5000 miles by the end of it. A couple of 10 hour days in the drivers seat so far with no issues as far as comfort is related. Minimize the amount of stuff that you have to carry in the cabin but don't forget the little cubby holes behind the seats. Its a really great way to get to know your car. The well in the trunk fits my wife's carryon size luugage easily and I am using a flexible duffle bag for my stuff so it can best fit into the corners.

Roadtrip so far,
Victoria BC Canada, Oregon Coast, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Disneyland,.....
Yet to come, San Diego, Palm springs, Arizona, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, Home to Victoria BC

·
Registered
726 Posts
Los Angeles to Phoenix a couple of weeks ago was a piece of cake. The 124 is the first sports car I've owned which doesn't give me a back ache, and it doesn't even have a lumbar adjustment.

Too bad Highway 1 is closed from the rain related mudslides. That road was made for sports cars.

Reactions: sdlynx

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was considering driving to San Jose Monday from LA. I think the 124 is going to be a great road trip car. I'd recommend at least taking the 101 and then at some point cut over to the 1 after the shut down part if you have the time.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was considering driving to San Jose Monday from LA. I think the 124 is going to be a great road trip car. I'd recommend at least taking the 101 and then at some point cut over to the 1 after the shut down part if you have the time.
Let me know how it goes if you do. We'll be fine with space...most of the time we will be at a sports tourney, and not much needed for that. I'd love to take the 1, but I'll be stuck on the 5 as I have to get down there quickly on Friday and someone has finals on Monday, so we can't take a leisurely drive home. We'll be back again in July, so hopefully then I'll be able to do so.

Thanks everyone...I'm thinking we'll take the Spider/Abarth. :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have driven the 700 mile, 10.5 hour trip from Albuquerque to San Antonio on a number of occasions (and back) since August. I used to do the trip only once or twice a year because it was so tiring, even with my wife and I sharing the driving. Doing it solo 4 or 5 times a year is a piece of cake in the Fiat Spider. I've got over 12,000 miles on the car since acquiring it in August. I'm 70 years old and have had some very severe sciatica in the past and this car does not bother my back, even though I drive straight through, only stopping for gas.

Reactions: racergary and 56S

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yes, last weekend, 11.5+ hours and 460 miles of rural 2-lane bliss, only stopping for fuel and snacks. The car ran like a top, my 48-year old, 220 pound, out of shape body had no issues except I thought in the later hours that a bit of lower back lumbar support would be nice, about as much as a small hand towel or wash cloth would provide. The next day, I did another 360 miles of non-interstate rural 4-lane. Pretty straight, not exciting, and a multi-hour break at the half way point. Loved it, no issues.

Take the Spider, it has the makings to be a good memory for the 16-year old. And you.

Steve.

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
64 Posts
My first drive in the 124 was 12 hours long. I picked it up in Houston and drove it 700 miles home to Birmingham - on mostly back roads. This is a drive I have made many times as my in-laws live in Houston. I have never done it and not felt wrecked at the end... Until I did it in the 124. I got out of the car feeling great! This is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. And the only one that doesn't make my back hurt after a few hours...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Drove from Phoenix to Monument Valley, Utah, and on up the Moki Dugway to Natural Bridges National Monument - drive time of about six and a half hours. I never felt uncomfortable, and my wife who is more particular than me, was comfortable in the passenger seat - no aches or discomfort for either of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Drove from Phoenix to Monument Valley, Utah, and on up the Moki Dugway to Natural Bridges National Monument - drive time of about six and a half hours. I never felt uncomfortable, and my wife who is more particular than me, was comfortable in the passenger seat - no aches or discomfort for either of us.
That is sure a pretty blue!

Steve.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In July I'm taking a 1300 mile trip to Key West with a couple of friends. They're taking their Harleys. We plan on doing two 10 hour days of driving to get there, a few days in the Keys, and then another 2 day trip home. I've got my fingers crossed that there's no rain. I'm envisioning having the top down almost the entire week. I love my Abarth!

·
Registered
726 Posts
In July I'm taking a 1300 mile trip to Key West with a couple of friends. They're taking their Harleys. We plan on doing two 10 hour days of driving to get there, a few days in the Keys, and then another 2 day trip home. I've got my fingers crossed that there's no rain. I'm envisioning having the top down almost the entire week. I love my Abarth!
Talk about perfect.

I've noticed this odd thing about Harley's. They keep waving at me. I too, love my Abarth.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Longest so far: My wife and I took almost 3 weeks from Tacoma to Ventura Beach and back last fall.
Coming up this year: 3+ weeks to San Diego and back. Since PCH through Big Sur is closed, we'll include the Oregon coast on the way home.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for sharing your road trip stories. It looks like it will be the Abarth...a convertible in So Cal will be very fun.

·
833 Posts
Probably the longest drive for myself so far was from Dallas Tx to Knoxville TN in the Auto Ricambi FIAT Spider #1. It was a fun trip and I made sure to stop in Memphis for some BBQ. I took back roads the last leg of the trip from Memphis to Knoxville. Fun drive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts