Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I've been looking at buying a used abarth
the prices are down to where I am fine with liking or not liking the car
anyway, I was looking at this car, but it seems a little odd...

first thing I noticed, the engine bay cover is missing? so is it a common thing to import the European cover with the scorpion on it? maybe the previous owner kept it or someone changing the oil ran over it?

then i noticed the dash board is painted red? was that an option?
the dealer told me it does have LED headlamps, so that should mean it has the visibility package?
if it does not really have LED headlights, do aftermarket LED bulbs work fine in stock halogen housings or will I have electrical problems?

the car is listed as luxury collection with sirius
was that a real option in 2017? first I have heard of it
there are speakers in the seat head rests but they dont appear to say bose

anyway, thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
What is not stock based on the photos:
  • The chrome “124 Spider” badge has been debadged from the boot
  • The taillight housing inserts have been changed to red. From factory they would be white to match body color
  • Steering wheel looks a bit different than what I’m used to seeing on an Abarth which normally are black with a single red stripe at 12 o’clock
  • yeah, the red in the dash looks like another custom mod

·
Registered
765 Posts
What is not stock based on the photos:
  • The chrome “124 Spider” badge has been debadged from the boot
  • The taillight housing inserts have been changed to red. From factory they would be white to match body color
  • Steering wheel looks a bit different than what I’m used to seeing on an Abarth which normally are black with a single red stripe at 12 o’clock
  • yeah, the red in the dash looks like another custom mod
The steering wheel is stock. 2017 US Abarths do not have the red stripe at 12 o'clock.

·
Registered
765 Posts

anyway, thanks
One photo appears to show a speaker in the passenger headrest, which would suggest the Bose package. Non-Bose packages (like mine) only have speakers in the driver headrest. Also, it appears to have the antennae for Sirius. There were not that many variables for 2017 so I'm pretty sure this one has the full luxury collection package.

None of the cosmetic mods bother me at all. I kind of like the dash. Can you tell if any engine mods were done? That would concern me a bit more.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
here is the link to the car, thanks
This car has all the options available for a 2017 Abarth except Brembo Brake upgrade and Recaro seats. It does have Bose upgrade as that was part of the package.

The engine bay looks bone stock except for the missing engine cover.

Negotiate the best price and grab it. Good looking car.

Dan

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Many of you already know this, but for those new members just joining the forum, there was/is a distinct difference between the Abarth version of the car sold in North America as "just another trrim line in the Fiat 124 Spider trio" sold through Chrysler/FIat dealerships, to the versions sold only through Abarth dealerships in the rest of the world. The North American versions only included the Abarth branding elements on the hood and trunk. Everywhere else was labelled as Fiat.... including the steering wheel hub. So, no fender Abarth badging, no Abarth steering wheel hub, no "red stripe" on the steering wheel (maybe you could get some from Bermuda), no Abarth labelling on the seats, and no Abarth branded engine cover. Some of this has been addressed in later model years after much feuding between Abarth and Fiat over brand identity protection.

One other option to look at would be to run the VIN for the car through the order spec database and then a prospective owner could see what was stock on the vehicle as delivered, versus what had been modified after taking posession.

Add your VIN to the end of the following text string, and then paste that full URL string into your browser to get the report.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If there's no engine cover maybe it's because the stock Fiat coils has been replaced by taller AR 4C (Bosch) coils, so no clearance for the cover..

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I’m guessing this belonged to someone on the forum. I seem to remember someone a while back replacing the tail light inserts with red to match the tail lights.

·
Registered
176 Posts
so, I've been looking at buying a used abarth
the prices are down to where I am fine with liking or not liking the car
anyway, I was looking at this car, but it seems a little odd...

first thing I noticed, the engine bay cover is missing? so is it a common thing to import the European cover with the scorpion on it? maybe the previous owner kept it or someone changing the oil ran over it?

then i noticed the dash board is painted red? was that an option?
the dealer told me it does have LED headlamps, so that should mean it has the visibility package?
if it does not really have LED headlights, do aftermarket LED bulbs work fine in stock halogen housings or will I have electrical problems?

anyway, thanks
The dash and tail light panels have been painted red.

Those are indeed the factory LED headlights. They are fantastic.

The seats do say Bose. There is a small badge of the side of the headrests on the seats that say so.

The car looks really solid. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The dash and tail light panels have been painted red.

Those are indeed the factory LED headlights. They are fantastic.

The seats do say Bose. There is a small badge of the side of the headrests on the seats that say so.

The car looks really solid. Go for it!
I agree. I threw my engine cover in a drawer and don't use it anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replies
when I first saw the car I was a little weary but the mods do seem tasteful
this coil pack upgrade, might it be the same 4c coils people upgrade on the abarth 500?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
thanks for the replies
when I first saw the car I was a little weary but the mods do seem tasteful
this coil pack upgrade, might it be the same 4c coils people upgrade on the abarth 500?
The Alfa 4C coils are black, at least mine are. I think the OEM coils are yellow. I have mine in a box in the shop somewhere.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would think that a coil upgrade and nothing else seems strange. There are higher engine mod priorities than that. Or...other mods were made, but were removed and oem put back for the sale, except coil packs.

i believe Autoricambi has engine covers if you really want one.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Didnt think 2017 came with led headlights, only projector on the Abarth?
Mine is a 2017, and I can confirm that the Abarth model has auto-leveling LED headlights. Depends upon the options package purchased with the Abarth. I'm unsure if they were offered on other trim levels with the Classica and Lusso.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If there's no engine cover maybe it's because the stock Fiat coils has been replaced by taller AR 4C (Bosch) coils, so no clearance for the cover..
Nope. I have the AR 4C coil replacements and they fit just fine under the stock engine cover. Most likely somewhere along the ownership chain, one of the owners tossed it. Shame, 'cause the bloody things are an expensive piece of plastic if you need to purchase a replacement. That said, there are enough folks here on the forum that removed them because they didn't like them, a person could likely lay hands on one for the cost of shipping.

And.... I took the VIN and ran the build sheet. So if you look at the attached .pdf you'll see what it's factory build spec is.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
We are a month away from winter, you should be able to negotiate a great deal on a convertible. Ask for a CarFax to see how long has the car been sitting at their lot and have it inspected before buying.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts