Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
First post on this forum.......
So, we have "officially" decided to get a 124 Abarth. Have gone to the dealer a few times ( nearest is about 200 miles away) and waited to see the 2018 colors. Narrowed it down to the silver/grey or red.

I just put my 2013 Abarth 500C for sale, since the dealer didn't seem to want to give much for it, and thought I would test the waters. Not a great time to sell a convertible in snow country.......

I know we want the manual transmission, and the sound package, but was not sure about the Brembo brakes, since we aren't going to drive that hard ( have other performance cars), and it sounds like the luxury package is on everything.

Found a car this past weekend at the dealer that had everything in Red, and the upgraded brakes, have not yet tried to negotiate a deal. Not in a huge rush, since it's winter, and the car will just sit.

Got told the same story that anything ordered today would be 9months out and be a 2019.
Might start looking at other dealers in the North West...........

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
556 Posts
How far north &west are you?
Seems like lots of cars Seattle and north. Easy enough to use the search on the Fiat website, just keep punching in new zip codes.

Dealers likely to deal on cars “on lot” especially convertibles in December.

Good hunting

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm in Portland, and I'm wondering whether you are looking at the red Abarth at the Canyon Road Fiat dealer (https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=JC1NFAEK2J0133779). If I didn't already have my Abarth, I'd be buying this one and having the heritage stripe wrapped locally. It's a 2018, but going into the winter months, maybe they are willing to deal. I prefer the red/black leather seats to the all black leather seats, but I also think the Brembo brakes are worth it, if only for the looks and cachet. The stock brakes are fine for my driving, which is only on the street, but pushing it a little. I think the extra packages are worth it. I'd never had the adaptive headlights (that swivel in the direction of your turn) before, and now I wouldn't settle for anything less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.
Yes, we looked at the red one at Tonkin yesterday, as we were originally not thinking Red, and more the silver or grey. However, it appears that the red and black look great. We think finding a new one in silver with a manual transmission might be tough. The original idea was not to get a red car, since we have a few already. However, our Abarth 500C is red with the black trim, and we do like it ;-)

Not sure if should try to deal with them on that car, or see if it sits, since they just got it. They also have a blue one coming, but not sure we want that color........

I was thinking of calling them on Wednesday and see what kind of price they will do, since it's the end of the month. I will say that they basically have the same cars there as they did a month ago. They did tell us if we ordered one now, it would be 9months. Which is not a big deal, since we won't be driving sports cars here in Central Oregon for at least six months........

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes, we looked at the red one at Tonkin yesterday, as we were originally not thinking Red, and more the silver or grey. However, it appears that the red and black look great. We think finding a new one in silver with a manual transmission might be tough. The original idea was not to get a red car, since we have a few already. However, our Abarth 500C is red with the black trim, and we do like it ;-)

Not sure if should try to deal with them on that car, or see if it sits, since they just got it. They also have a blue one coming, but not sure we want that color........

I was thinking of calling them on Wednesday and see what kind of price they will do, since it's the end of the month. I will say that they basically have the same cars there as they did a month ago. They did tell us if we ordered one now, it would be 9months. Which is not a big deal, since we won't be driving sports cars here in Central Oregon for at least six months........
I would take that 9 months with a grain of salt. Maybe they have gotten better, but I was told Nov 2016 and didn’t actually get it until the end of April

I have the silver and love it. It really polished up very nice. But it is the original Alumium/ silver and I have not seen the 2018 version. Fully loaded with Brembos. I love all the features. The led headlights are very very good. Blind side warning has saved my butt twice with the top up (my hair touches the top so my vision top up is not great)

You can get GoodWin Racing Wilwoods front and back brake kits that offer both for the price of the factory front Brembos and more after market wheels will fit.

I also searched dealers cars that were already on order until I found the one I wanted. Nothing in stock at the time that matched my wants. Put a deposit down on it. Cut the wait time.....I think!?

Good hunting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would take that 9 months with a grain of salt. Maybe they have gotten better, but I was told Nov 2016 and didn’t actually get it until the end of April

I have the silver and love it. It really polished up very nice. But it is the original Alumium/ silver and I have not seen the 2018 version. Fully loaded with Brembos. I love all the features. The led headlights are very very good. Blind side warning has saved my butt twice with the top up (my hair touches the top so my vision top up is not great)

You can get GoodWin Racing Wilwoods front and back brake kits that offer both for the price of the factory front Brembos and more after market wheels will fit.

I also searched dealers cars that were already on order until I found the one I wanted. Nothing in stock at the time that matched my wants. Put a deposit down on it. Cut the wait time.....I think!?

Good hunting!

Did you ended up finding one on your own before getting the Abarth you originally ordered?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Besides the fact that I'm rather partial to red, if you found one equipped the way you want I'd seriously consider picking it up. 6 speeds aren't always easy to find. And you might get a great deal because of the weather now and when the weather clears up you'd be buying the same car. Good luck with the search!

Mark

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Not really into selling cars . . .

SNIP!
It doesn't sound like these guys are interested in turning over their inventory does it? Nine months for an order? It took my car six months to appear.
In view of the seasonality for selling convertibles, maybe the Sales Mgr might be willing to make a deal. Time is money and having cars sit around is very bad. Maybe they need to be reminded of that.>:)
Good luck!
Pete

·
Registered
676 Posts
Did you ended up finding one on your own before getting the Abarth you originally ordered?
I placed a deposit on a car the dealer already had on order that matched my wants. It is that car that went from a Nov delivery to April. Always hard waiting, but worth it to get the car you really want in a car like this. It is not just another SUV or such. I plan on keeping it a loooong time and didn't want to settle.

Reactions: littlejuanito

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind waiting......
Sent the local dealer a note and offer on the one they have there. waiting to hear back. But that deal includes my Abarth as a trade in.
What kinda price are you guys agreeing to on the ones you order? Are you just paying sticker?

·
Registered
534 Posts
What kinda price are you guys agreeing to on the ones you order? Are you just paying sticker?
I didn't order my Abarth; it was ordered by someone else that decided he had waited long enough for it to come in. Since I grabbed it before it was delivered to the dealer, I ended up paying full sticker for it, but it was worth it to me as it had everything I wanted in it. I'd be surprised if you were able to get away with not paying full sticker on a vehicle you order.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't order my Abarth; it was ordered by someone else that decided he had waited long enough for it to come in. Since I grabbed it before it was delivered to the dealer, I ended up paying full sticker for it, but it was worth it to me as it had everything I wanted in it. I'd be surprised if you were able to get away with not paying full sticker on a vehicle you order.
I will paying $2500 below sticker on an Abarth I have on order plus any applicable rebates at time of delivery. I ordered it with all the options except Heritage Stripe and convenience package.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Howdy,
First post on this forum.......
So, we have "officially" decided to get a 124 Abarth. Have gone to the dealer a few times ( nearest is about 200 miles away) and waited to see the 2018 colors. Narrowed it down to the silver/grey or red.

I just put my 2013 Abarth 500C for sale, since the dealer didn't seem to want to give much for it, and thought I would test the waters. Not a great time to sell a convertible in snow country.......

I know we want the manual transmission, and the sound package, but was not sure about the Brembo brakes, since we aren't going to drive that hard ( have other performance cars), and it sounds like the luxury package is on everything.

Found a car this past weekend at the dealer that had everything in Red, and the upgraded brakes, have not yet tried to negotiate a deal. Not in a huge rush, since it's winter, and the car will just sit.

Got told the same story that anything ordered today would be 9months out and be a 2019.
Might start looking at other dealers in the North West...........

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Bob
The brakes are not a deal breaker. Sure, I'd love to have the Brembos, but I find that the base brakes on the Abarth are more than adequate for in-town driving. I don't really think you need to upgrade unless you start taking it to the track frequently.

These are a low production vehicle; get exactly the one you want. That's what I did with my Grigio Argento Abarth MT. The only things I got that I didn't want was the driver convenience package with the auto dimming side mirror and a couple of other things, but after using them on a regular basis, I'm very glad I got them.

I would not hesitate to drive across the country to get the specific car I want.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I will paying $2500 below sticker on an Abarth I have on order plus any applicable rebates at time of delivery.
Wow, that's a great deal! The dealers around here aren't willing to budge.

Reactions: littlejuanito

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, that's a great deal! The dealers around here aren't willing to budge.
You just gotta keep insisting. My initial offer at one of the first dealers was $1000 below sticker. I used that offer as leverage and started contacted other dealerships with that number as proof until one of them budged and gave me a $2500 off.

Even a dealer in Texas was gonna ship the car for me in California for free but the vehicle didn’t come with Brembos and he offer was a little higher.

Point is, hit dealers all over the country, they’ll budge.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got in touch with the dealer finally, and we are looking at my offer.
Did Fiat do anything new with incentives for December that I don't know about?
I know they do $500 for "loyalty"
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
Got in touch with the dealer finally, and we are looking at my offer.
Did Fiat do anything new with incentives for December that I don't know about?
I know they do $500 for "loyalty"
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
I think I got $1000.00 for loyalty last July. $2500 total in incentives. Dealer incentive of $1000, New England dealer incentive of $500.00, and the loyalty incentive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts