Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently working to get my own first car, all previous were family hand me downs. Currently looking at a 2018 Abarth. Any tips or suggestions for the process?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My best suggestion is to have someone assist you with negotiating the purchase as it can save you thousands of dollars. Example: the dealer I bought my 2018 from insisted that the price quoted was the rock bottom price. I ended up paying nearly $4,000 less than that "rock bottom" price quote. Your choice of assistance should be someone who under the car sales business and you need to keep the mind set that no matter how much you like a particular car there are many more you can buy. Also, remember, the dealer or seller needs to sell the car far more than you need to spend your money. Good luck. It's a great fun car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not sure about your age, but if you're under 25 you might want to inquire about insurance costs to make sure you aren't surprised by the quotes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
33, so hopefully not too nuts.
I knew that I wanted another toy after many years without one, so I searched for several weeks, and one Sunday I found a white Lusso advertised which caught my eye. On Monday I contacted the dealer, went to see the car in the afternoon and bought it on the spot. Absolutely no regrets.

Remember, life is short and we get only one shot at it. We also make many foolish decisions. ( This is not one of them). But, in the end, we need to enjoy whatever pleasures come our way, or we make come our way. So, I would say, don’t overthink the process. If you think driving a Spider enhances your life, then go for it.

BTW. Here in Canada we can insure this car with Hagerty as a pleasure only toy. My cost is only $800 per year for full coverage.

Peace.
Len

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure about your age, but if you're under 25 you might want to inquire about insurance costs to make sure you aren't surprised by the quotes.
I have been driving miatas since I was 20. Miata insurance is never high. So many old people drive them and that keeps insurance costs down. The BRZ I bought new, on the other hand, was absolutely outrageous and I sold it after 6 weeks, even though I was already over 25 at that time. I always call for an insurance quote before buying a new car now!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve got a timeline down, of sorts, the car is in a city about an hour away and is going to be brought to the dealer, hopefully by Wednesday. I’ll test drive it hopefully Wednesday, or Thursday morning. If it goes well, I’ll see if they’ll allow me to take it to a mechanic and have it inspected to make sure there aren’t any hidden surprises. If no surprises are found then hopefully within a few day, I’ll have the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Signed the papers earlier, and going to drop the check off hopefully within the next couple of hours.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
146 Posts
WOOT! (y)🏎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts