Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my names Cooper and I live in Bushwick, Brooklyn. Living in NY has stopped me from owning something fun but no more! Looking to pick up a 124 in the near future.

Would you guys mind directing me to the need to know things on differentiating the models? Wheres a good place to look for cars for sale?

Thanks!

(my instagram is @mrjuicebox btw if anyone cares)

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can try Fiat USA https://www.fiatusa.com/ and do the build and price to see what the cars come with and their MSRP. Fiat USA also has a "Search New Inventory" button so you can "build" a car and then search inventory in a radius around a zip code.

Alternatively, Cars.com will be helpful too.

Watch many of the on-line You Tube videos on the car, they do a pretty nice job of explaining things.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Banned
425 Posts
I agree that FIATUSA does a good job. One thing that doesn't jump out though are the features of the Abarth model vs Price Premium.
Features include more than the Facia on the front and four more horsepower. But these and more.
Limited Slip Rear Differential
Bilstien Shocks
Sport Mode (Effectively two tunes)
Strut Tower Brace
Track Day at Bonderant
Stainless steel covers for pedals - Brake, clutch and gas
Upgraded Tires
Painted Alloy Wheels
Tire Pressure sensors.
Upgraded exhaust with four stainless steel tips
Sport Engine Cover
Gun Metal Mirror caps
Gun Metal Header Trim
Gun Metal Rollbar cover
Sport Steering Wheel
Sport Shift Knob

The Price Premium for these features is $700. If you are not interested in these features, they aren't worth $1 more. But if even a couple of these appeal to you, $700 is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you are going to pull the trigger and buy one of these beauties, you can't go wrong by checking out a salesman named Q at Fiat of Manhattan. He's very knowledgable, very professional & a no pressure salesman. I bought mine from him & I live in Long Island & it was worth the trip.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I 2nd Q at Manhattan. Cool guy, absolutely no pressure. Just told me actually that my model (silver Abarth) is on backorder now.

And Stelvio saved you the homework; Abarth or bust ;)

Warning: when Q lets you test drive it down the Westside Highway you'll be sold.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You might want to visit truecar.com to see what others are paying.

·
Administrator
1,926 Posts
I learned a trick during my shopping experience for my Abarth; go online shopping for one in the Detroit area and check the dealer listings. They assume everyone there that buys one has employee pricing, so that's what they list on their website. Tack on $100-$500 to that, and that's what you can expect to pay locally for an identically equipped vehicle near you. Be forewarned, the dealer margins on the 124 Spider are not very high.

For the reasons mentioned above, I'd recommend the Abarth, unless you want the softer suspension the Classica/Lusso offers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Checking out the dealers close to me while driving around, these cars are not selling. Two dealers have all the cars they had in February still on the lot. Not sure if this is a national trend, but around here, these cars are not selling. If you only want the car if you can get a great deal, make them a low, low offer. You might be surprised. Dealer markups can't be viewed on an individual car. Manufacturers often kick back additional amounts ON EVERY CAR sold if monthly or quarterly goals are met. If your deal "puts them over the top", they might be willing to lose substantial money on that one sale. Shop month end and June is the end of the 3rd quarter since new models come out septemberish.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In my researching of the vehicles, I'm noticing that MOST of the cars on the dealer lots are Automatic Transmission vehicles. If you search Cars.com and choose Manual transmission, about 80% of the cars disappear from your search.

I just did a search, 1188 cars listed on Cars.com for Fiat 124 spider (new and used of which 1153 are new). Choose manual and it drops to 227. Honestly, who wants an automatic transmission on a 2 seat roadster? I don't know the ratio that Fiat is shipping to the US market (50/50?) but there seems to be a lot of automatic trannies out there.

Adding some "colors" might help....a lot!

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my researching of the vehicles, I'm noticing that MOST of the cars on the dealer lots are Automatic Transmission vehicles. If you search Cars.com and choose Manual transmission, about 80% of the cars disappear from your search.

I just did a search, 1188 cars listed on Cars.com for Fiat 124 spider (new and used of which 1153 are new). Choose manual and it drops to 227. Honestly, who wants an automatic transmission on a 2 seat roadster? I don't know the ratio that Fiat is shipping to the US market (50/50?) but there seems to be a lot of automatic trannies out there.

Adding some "colors" might help....a lot!
Yes, if the car in general is not selling, the autos are really not selling. I figure FIAT's deal with Mazda required them to include a lot of autos because Mazda needs to keep the volume up on autos to hold down cost. The price of the auto is clear evidence it cost Mazda a lot more to make the auto than the manual. And that makes sense if you look at the complexity. Or else FIAT looked at the percentage of sales of autos vs manuals in the U.S. vs Europe and thought they could sell them not taking into account the target segment was more enthusiast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts