Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem finding an Abarth with specific options, such as the technology package, and was wondering if there were any shops around LA that could add in some of those options found in the factory packages. For example, the dimming side and rear-view mirrors. There are some options/color combinations that are not available now or are found on the opposite coast. It would be nice to be able to add on things later. Anyone got local spots that would be good to try? I'm more interested in things like dimming mirrors, but it would be nice to know some good shops around the area for upgrades.

I'm in the Manhattan Beach area, but anything around greater Los Angeles is easy to get to.

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts
I think that going that route would be a mistake. While there are shops that can do it, the cost will exceed the price of the car you want plus transportation. In other words, find the car you want and have it shipped to you. That will add about 1k to the cost, but it's going to be less than parts and labor on what you want. That said, I think these guys could do the mods, I'm not sure, but you could call them: http://www.eurotech-tuning.com/

Greg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Good advice. Keep in mind it's a $30,000 car to begin with. Spending another $30,000 customizing it suggests that you should have just bought a more expensive car to begin with.

If you're in a time bind and have to have a car now, you're going to have to settle for what's available. Otherwise, be patient. It took about two months of scouring the inventory sites daily to finally find the car I wanted, and even then it was 800 miles away.

Things may loosen up in the spring. Fiat will eventually start allowing custom ordering straight from the factory.

·
Registered
727 Posts
As Greg suggests, do daily national searches. I found my car 2,200 miles away and it only cost $1,000 to ship. Also, There are some companies out there who will search for you, but they want a fee.

Reactions: Greg

·
Registered
958 Posts
As Greg suggests, do daily national searches. I found my car 2,200 miles away and it only cost $1,000 to ship. Also, There are some companies out there who will search for you, but they want a fee.
Seems to me that it would be less expensive and more fun, to fly to the dealer and drive it home, rather than have it shipped.:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. My choices for car are another Z4 (of which, the production line is dead) or one of these. There are lots of Z4s around still, but Abarths are few and far between, hence the inquiry about adding options not available. I was hoping that adding a dimming rear view mirror and side mirrors would be FAR less than 30k (maybe for 1k?). Since you guys are in the know, do you have any ideas on the the shipment schedules for spiders in LA? The dealers I've gone to say they have no idea when new 124s arrive and that custom ordering may take up to 6-8 months (not sure if that is smalltalk for "buy what we have on lot", but I could buy it being a lengthy process).

·
Registered
284 Posts
As others have said, broaden your search. It's a 50 state car and for 1000 bucks get it shipped. I shipped my nc x-country without a problem and found a great deal because it was winter and they wanted to move it. My abarth was bought without a test drive and as others here will confirm, it's worth the hunt. Hope u find it soon!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I upgraded from the LUSSO to the ABARTH without test driving, I just asked the Sales person to go around the parking so I can hear the exhaust. Next thing I upgraded to Abarth, then a week after I went to test drive the ABARTH, Sales Manager gave me an offer I couldn't refuse and took one in the lot with the Luxury package. Then test drove it and guess what no regrets. If not convinced, test drive the Classica or Lusso and the ABARTH is +++++ much better.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pro tip when using the Fiat inventory search: it's limited to within 1000 miles of you, but you can change your zip code to scope out other parts of the country. cars.com also will do a national search of inventory for you.

Also, the Technology Package you mentioned is only available for Classicas, which would explain why you weren't finding any if that's what you were checking. For Abarth, it's either S&C or Luxury packages. Brembos are under Exterior options (but no one has them so don't bother).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts