Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Graeme ....I was running in the P1 mode at the time ...maybe 15k on the plugs, not sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You could probably argue on the GFB on the basis you can, technically, replace parts with non-oem parts of equivalent performance. The problem would be trying to figure out where the onus of proof would lie in showing the GFB is, or is not, 'of equivalent performance'. Of course, the tune is still an issue.
I'm a little concerned about this. My '18 Abarth, bought new a year ago, had a problematic diverter valve from about mile 150. Discussing it with the dealer's service manager and level 3 mechanic, they actually recommended the GFB DV+ instead of an OEM replacement. ("You'll be back in here in six months, otherwise," the mechanic told me.) The service manager recommended against the Forge unit because it might end the warranty, but said the GFB was an OEM-equivalent replacement and wouldn't affect coverage.

Love to have a definitive statement from our Fiat Cares overwatch, since the GFB is, in fact, an OEM equivalent part, has been recommended by at least two dealers that I'm aware of, and is routinely used by so many here. To be clear, I'm not asking about warranty coverage for the non-OEM part, but whether using this OEM-equivalent part will specifically be cited as a reason to void the warranty if anything related to the engine fails.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

And welcome to FCA’s idea of customer service.

FCA has been using any type of mods as pretext to deny warranty coverage on everything from Fiats to Jeeps.

A year and a half ago I had an unsavory exchange with my Jeep dealer; the service manager refused to take my 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon with 8,000 miles for warranty work for a squeaky driver seat and a loud rattle on the A-pillar...under pretext that my Jeep had...a 2-inch Mopar lift and factory steel bumpers.

I learned my lesson, I am keeping both my 2018 Wrangler JL and Fiat Spider mostly stock until the warranty runs out.

I am not wasting my money on Mopar accessories either. They sell you on the promise that your accessories are under warranty if you buy Mopar parts. But once they have your money, all bets are off.

Reactions: SteveWy

·
Registered
94 Posts
No expert here but same thing happened to me. I love the car and I use it for my long everyday commute to work but I don't think it is not that reliable for such purpose. .

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is why you want to use a piggyback ECU--especially under warranty. Just remove it and everything is stock again. And I don't understand why everyone is changing all these other parts? My 500 Abarth is almost stock, except for the piggyback, and I added 40 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque, at the crank. I have an Ultra Gauge where I can monitor mixture. Under boost, it beings to go rich and gets richer and richer until 5000 RPM, where they go full rich. See the dyno chart attached. I've never heard of anyone having engine trouble with this tune. Check out 500 Madness for this. I'm going to leave my Urbana stock until the 4 year warranty is up. I have my 500 Abarth to play around with Porsche Boxsters.......
A piggyback ECU won't help you. The wiring harness is still highly visible under the hood and not easily removed. I was almost denied warranty work because they spotted it at my dealer. Luckily the tech looked the other way but he did warn me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A piggyback ECU won't help you. The wiring harness is still highly visible under the hood and not easily removed. I was almost denied warranty work because they spotted it at my dealer. Luckily the tech looked the other way but he did warn me.
but with a piggyback unit you can have the car serviced at an indie shop that doesn't care at all whether it's present or not and if the car ever does run into an issue requiring the usage of the warranty, you can remove the unit to take the vehicle to a dealership - a pain, i hear, but worth the time should you run into an expensive repair and be still under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dateline Denver, CO

Last Friday while traveling north on I-25, center lane, 65mph, the check engine light comes on and immediately the car starts running rough ...actually the check engine light is flashing, rather then full on. Could not pull over, so kept going on, on 3 cylinders. I drove it back to my house and dropped it off at a local mechanic that I use. They called and said that they would not touch the car, but to have Fiat Roadside Service tow to the dealership. I had burnt a spark plug and they did not know what other damage might be inside.

Fiat Autonation in Northglenn took the car in, gave me a call and immediately said that because I had a GFB DV+ and a blow off adapter plate on the turbo, any warranty claim was cancelled. ...plus a tune that they may have caused leanness. The worst case would be that the cylinder head would have to be replaced at a cost of $4700, or the least worst case, a exhaust valve, for much less ....but either case, it will be a bitch getting into the tightly fitting engine. It is a burnt valve.

So, a word to the wise on adding stuff under the hood and keeping your warranty.

Sorry for your grief, that socks but hopefully this is helpful.
WWW.REDLINEAUTOPARTS.COM Has a exact fit, 5000mile engine with turbo ready
To ship for $1999.00.
Also have loose engine parts 4sale, block pistons crank .......... Check what they have before signing anything with dealership. Could save you a bundle in the long run cause then you'll have the organal engine for future spare parts. Hope this helps you but thanks for the heads up with the warranty

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not clear on this. Was the GFB DV+ used to deny the warranty, or was it the EC tune? Because I'm under the impression that Fiat has stated that the items like the GFB will not be used to deny warranty claims, but tunes will. My own dealer certainly thinks so.
I can't imagine it would be the GFB DV value. That's the best thing I've added to mine. The OEM one is a POS.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can't imagine it would be the GFB DV value. That's the best thing I've added to mine. The OEM one is a POS.
Parts-wise there was a DV+ and an unnamed blow off adapter mentioned. Don't know if it was one of the parts or the tune.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Steve mentioned the service manager specifically pointed to the GFB as being the reason for denying the claim. I don't think they got as far as discussing tunes.

IMHO, had Steve not had a tune on the car I would be arguing that on the basis of the GFB being of equivalent or better performance to the OEM part, but the tune will make things difficult.

The dealership in question is the only one left which is qualified to do warranty work on Spiders in the Denver area so it kinda sucks that the service manager sounds like a bit of an arse.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To put a final wrap on this, I got my car back today, and I still have the tune in the computer ...knew it right away with the 'pops and bangs'. They pulled the engine and installed 2 engine exhaust valves, 4 various gaskets (head, cam carrier, exhaust and ?), 4 new spark plugs, oil change ...all for a total of $2842 ....runs great!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm guessing that for $2842 you were given a full written report providing a detailed explanation of the issue and the root cause ? Also, what milage/time warranty have they provided for the repair ?

It was late in the day when I picked up the car ...service manager had left, but I will surely inquire about it today ...thank you for that ...first time for any major repair for me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
To put a final wrap on this, I got my car back today, and I still have the tune in the computer ...knew it right away with the 'pops and bangs'. They pulled the engine and installed 2 engine exhaust valves, 4 various gaskets (head, cam carrier, exhaust and ?), 4 new spark plugs, oil change ...all for a total of $2842 ....runs great!
Hope you get a warranty for the work done for at least a year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A little update ....yes, there is a 12,000 mile/one year warranty on their work. I am actually using the warranty right now. I developed an engine oil leak all over my new garage floor. Bad enough that it started running across the floor ....kitty litter applied and will scrub with Dawn. Drove it back to the dealership and asked why the valves burnt. They did not know, but blamed it on the aftermarket parts. I do have the upgraded intercooler, but was wondering myself by driving in P1 continuously, versus driving in P0 without a tune, if that would cause extra heat thus damaging valves. Just my theory.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is important to make sure that the problem does not return. You said that you burnt an NGK plug? Was that an OEM plug, or a different rating? What do you mean by "driving continuously on P1"? Do you have an option to switch out of P1? In any case, I would regularly check that OEM-type plug to see that it has a nice dry coffee-color tip and no visible wear. Even with an extended warranty on the work, I doubt that they would be happy to see you back with the same hardware and tune.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It is important to make sure that the problem does not return. You said that you burnt an NGK plug? Was that an OEM plug, or a different rating? What do you mean by "driving continuously on P1"? Do you have an option to switch out of P1? In any case, I would regularly check that OEM-type plug to see that it has a nice dry coffee-color tip and no visible wear. Even with an extended warranty on the work, I doubt that they would be happy to see you back with the same hardware and tune.

No, the NGK plugs are aftermarket, not OEM. With the tune that I have, I now drive in P1 'non-Sport mode' ....P2 is 'Sport Mode' according to EuroCompulsion tuning.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
@SteveWy glad you got your car back. Hopefully they'll fix that oil leak. I strongly recommend that only OEM plugs be used in this car. I've tried several different plugs and there is no performance or otherwise advantage that I can tell above and beyond the OEM plugs.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts