Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have been asked-

What is a Abarth?. many times.

how much..... 80K? really, a guy put a 80K price tag on it. All I said was , well, not that much.

Maserati, right? (me) no, fiat. (him) no that's not a Fiat. he really said that!

twin turbo, 250 hp Italian sports car...... right? (me) um...... not really but you are close.

yup, I looked at one of those about 4 years ago. (me) um.....no...... I don't think so

The rest are just are just these blank stares.

This car replaced my BMW Z4 hardtop convertible and I swear, no one ever gave the BMW a second look.

What questions have you guys (and gals) been getting?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had the border patrol say "nice Aston Martin" when I pulled up...
I said it's not, it's a FIAT.

"so what do you do for work to afford an Aston Martin?"

um... it's not an Aston Martin

not the sharpest knife in the drawer at the BC / WA border
"the nation's gatekeepers"

LOL

I say to my brother as we pull away "I should have told him I was a pot farmer..." (then realized the top was down)
guess I'm not too sharp either

:D

·
Registered
824 Posts
My colleague informs me that people will just assume it is a Miata. Personally I've only ever seen one 124 Spider in the wild, several weeks ago in Southern Indiana between Indy and Bloomington. I've never seen another.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've gotten Alfa Romeo and Ferrari comments. They just can't believe it's a Fiat.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've gotten Alfa Romeo and Ferrari comments. They just can't believe it's a Fiat.
It is not!! It is a baby Ferrari, seems to work

Reactions: rfreschner

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am usually asked if it is a Maserati or Alfa Romeo. Everyone seems to think it costs a hundred thousand dollars.

I took it to an Italian car show at the Italian Heritage Center in Portland Maine, and the organizers didn't know what it was, so they parked me with the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis. It would have been nice if they parked me with the dozens of classic 124s, but they didn't. My Spider got as much attention as the Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and a lot more attention than the Maseratis!

I tell people that it is a Abarth 124 Spider, and explain that Abarth is the performance brand of Fiat, like Shelby is to Ford. People seem to be satisfied with the Shelby analogy.

·
Registered
726 Posts
At first I felt self-conscious driving my 2010 Corvette Grand Sport. I had never driven anything that flashy. Yet I soon discovered that it really didn't get much attention.

Holy cow, my Abarth 124 is half the price and turns heads left and right.

Reactions: TreborWhip

·
Registered
824 Posts
Do you guys ever mention the Miata connection? I know I'd prefer not to. My colleague though suggested the vanity plate, NOTMIATA.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Do you guys ever mention the Miata connection? I know I'd prefer not to. My colleague though suggested the vanity plate, NOTMIATA.
I never mention that Miata connection. The car looks so different from the Miata that most people never think of that. The only people that seem to know about the Mazda connection are Miata owners and car lovers.

Our cars actually started out as a Mazda/Alfa Romeo project. Sergio decided that all Alfas should be built in Italy, so it went to Fiat. Even though Fiat added some design elements to telegraph the original 124, it actually looks like an Alfa to me.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don’t see a problem with talking about the Miata/mx5 connection. The engineering that has gone into the car by Mazda is phenomenal. There are a few things that are less than stellar, but from a driving standpoint they dont matter. Couple that with the Fiat/Italian panel work, and a really cool engine, you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tell people that it is a Abarth 124 Spider, and explain that Abarth is the performance brand of Fiat, like Shelby is to Ford. People seem to be satisfied with the Shelby analogy.
That is actually is a good way to explain it.

I get the Mazda Fiat 124 connection. I understand that it is built over in Japan. But for me I distance my car from the MX5. I wouldn't buy a Mazda. Maybe I'm being snobbish but in my eyes a true sports car come from England, Germany, and Italy.

My BMW was built in South Carolina and I didn't consider it a "american" car. So regardless where the 124 is built - it's a Italian sports car.

BTW, my first car was a Datsun and I loved it.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a guy walk away from filling his car and hoof across the parking lot to see the car
He said he knew it was t a Miata because he had one but in his words this was something he needed to see up close
Since he was a Miata guy I told him about the connection (he was unaware) but it piqued his interest because he was thinking of a new Miata.
Well,He WAS thinking of a new Miata........
I asked him to get a different color than me and he laughed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Driving on the interstate, I passed a really sharp looking Vette driven by an older guy. About a minute later I looked in my mirror and saw him approaching quickly and anticipated getting my doors blown off. Instead, he slowed up and hung out by my rear quarter panel. He stayed there for about 15 seconds and then fell back. My wife said, "That was weird." I told her he was probably trying to figure out what kind of car we had.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here in Salt lake city I still come out of restaurants to people give it the walk around. I know there is at least one more around because the dealer no longer has its other Abarth in the showroom. It was a black on black mine is the white with the red trim and heritage stripe. Here most people have absolutely no idea what it is so I let them think what they want unless asked for specifics. I gets more attention than my 2014 vette and F-type jag ever did..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a guy stop his truck in a parking lot to take a long look at it. He and I started talking and it turned out that he had driven a Miata while living the the EU several years ago. He originally stopped to look at my car because he thought it was a miata with a body kit on it. I laughed as I told him how close he was to guessing correctly!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I met my friend in a parking lot with his ND Miata next to mine. No BS, some guy came over and asked what it was and said "I thought it was a Ferrari, wow. I seriously thought that was a Ferrari". A guy behind me in line at Burger King asked if it was an Aston Martin. Some guess Alfa Romeo, close enough. I either say its a Fiat (nobody believes me), an Abarth or just don't respond. The "Ferrari" guy didn't believe me, he had to look it up on his phone. I'm kinda tired of getting the same disbelief reaction when I say its a Fiat.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
People can’t believe what we paid for it. Although, in the last month, I’m starting to see quite a few of them around town. Saw another two I hadn’t seen before today. That’s six new ones I’ve seen in the last week!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Maybe our stock answer to the universal disbelievers on the street could be, "It's a Fiat 124 Spider, and it is half the price and three times the fun as you may think. ____ Fiat of Anytown has plenty of them in stock for you to choose from, head over there for a test drive."

C'mon, let's keep the 124 going strong and start being brand ambassadors to all who ask and gawk. We can't keep this great car our own little secret. And don't worry about losing your exclusivity, even if the car becomes a strong hit you'll never see as many of them on the road as there are Chevy Impalas (USA), or whatever the mass sales leader of your homeland may be.

Steve.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts