Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made an appt to bring car in to Local Authorized FIAT Dealer Service Center. (Ramsey FIAT/Alfa in NJ). Car is a 2018 Abarth Spider with 22,000 Miles

Issues

1: Top rubs bottom of drivers side roll hoop when in up position. This same dealership replaced the top last year, when I pointed out the rub last year, they indicated it would stretch in a few weeks. It's been over a year, clear wear signs on the top. This top actually fits worse then the old one.

2. Seat belts don't retract. Drivers side is very bad, passenger side starting to become problematic.

Never got updates as promised..Have 9 instances of a promised call backs that never materialized. At one point I was told it was on the floor and they were looking at it. Yesterday a service manager called me and left a voicemail (I have it saved) saying they are having staffing issues and have not looked at the car. He promised me it would be looked at today. he was going to talk to shop foreman and FIAT service Techs. 5PM today I got no updates, called and again they told me that no one has looked at. Service lead can't tell me why... he again said he would have to engage the service manager. I wanted to send an email but receptionist did not have service mangers email address.

I called FIATCARES Today and opened up a case. The agent while pleasant did not know anything about the cars and the service process. She asked me if the probelm was with the front or rear seat belts. Does not give me confidence. Apparently I have to wait 24 hrs to get a reply. IF FIATCAres wants to reach out to me, I can share case #.

Sad to say this is not the worst service experience with this delaler. When the car was at this same dealer last year, they "Lost the car" for several days. Then when they found it, at one point I was told they had no one who could drive stick. It took months to get the replacement top, which I understand, but everything else is unprofessional. I've missed several FIAT events and 70 degree tops down driving days. I'm paying for a car that is probably sandwiched between Huge Dodge RAMS.

Great car... lousy service dept... not many options. I wanted to get thee issues addressed before I put car into winter storage.

·
Vendor
3,430 Posts
I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience. It's sad that so many Fiat dealers are so poor, but unfortunately it's the norm. There are some exceptions of course, Brown's in NY and Benson in SC are both dealers I can vouch for.

Greg

·
Registered
395 Posts
I told you they sucked and you already had a bad experience. There must be an alternative, no?
It’s further but I’m going to try Larchmont for potential roof warranty. I’m not hopeful there either.
Better luck.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May end up having to go to Larchmont... I think the warrantee is 3 yrs, if so ends in Warranty ends in Feb, so want car fixed this year ... can't wait till Spring.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Warranty is four years. I’ve got to get mine to them by March

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Did they used to be a SAAB dealer?

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
476 Posts
Greg, where is Brown's in NY? Be useful to know should I require more than an oil change. TIA

·
Vendor
3,430 Posts
483 Rt 112 Patchogue
Patchogue, NY 11772

I guess it's now just Brown's Alfa Romeo, a bit disconcerting, but it makes sense since the only fiat that will be here in 2021 is the 500X, and those don't sell.

Greg

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
476 Posts
Thanks. A bit far from me but good knowledge. I keep my antenna up for a reputable FIAT dealership/servicer in upstate NY.

·
Registered
983 Posts
“...they are having staffing problems...”

Well, if they are a stand-alone Fiat dealership, the poor souls are probably starving and can’t pay enough to keep their staff from leaving. If they are a CDJR dealership with a Fiat franchise, then they are bursting at the seams with Rams and Jeeps sitting in the service bay getting fixed, without a spare set of hands; let alone someone who knows anything about Fiats.

I love my Spider, but the entire Fiat experiment in North America has been a embarrassing fiasco.

If Marchionne were alive he would be in jail for fraud. PSA can’t take over FCA operations soon enough to fix 10 years of graft, deceit and improvisation.

Reactions: Racer27

·
Registered
476 Posts
“.... PSA can’t take over FCA operations soon enough to fix 10 years of deceit and improvisation."
Aldo, wonderful thought but I seriously doubt we can count on PSA to fix anything except the date at which FIAT brand will disappear once again from North America. I truly hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Aldo, wonderful thought but I seriously doubt we can count on PSA to fix anything except the date at which FIAT brand will disappear once again from North America. I truly hope I am wrong but I doubt it.
Mr Tavares, head of PSA, is perhaps the only top auto executive today who can justify every penny he gets paid.

If he ends up pulling the plug on Fiat, it is because it is the best thing to do. Not because someone is getting a bribe...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Watch out for Westbury Fiat
Two times I did oil changes there.
Both times they charged me over $100. Not even a tire rotation. ( that's additional)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just one example: five years ago Tavares formed a team to study and develop a detailed strategy to bring Peugeot back to North America. The team even has an official representative in North America; his name is Larry Dominique. Larry Dominique | CAR MBS Speaker

By contrast, Marchionne scribbled on the back of an envelope how much money he could extort from dealers for each Fiat franchise, and developed a “strategy” to bring Fiat back to North America over a cup of cappuccino. He then put an incompetent lacky by the name of Laura Soave in charge. It was all downhill since day one: Fiat North America Head Soave Out as 500 Sales Stagnate in U.S.

·
Registered
395 Posts
These are reasons I’ve been taking mine to a mechanic I trust. If I didn’t have roof issues my car would never see a Fiat Dealer.
I’m reluctant anyway because it’s a wear issue that I’m not optimistic they will think is severe enough to replace. And do I even want to deal with them???

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience. It's sad that so many Fiat dealers are so poor, but unfortunately it's the norm. There are some exceptions of course, Brown's in NY and Benson in SC are both dealers I can vouch for.

Greg
I wouldn't vouch for browns at all actually.
My Bilstein right rear shocks was bad and making a rattling clunking noise for a long time when low speeds over bumps or simply parallel parking. but they could hear the noise, however, can't tell what it was
Until I install new coilovers the sound complete went away,

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got my car fixed twice in Ramsey NJ for same problem cylinder 3 misfire burnt exhaust valve. Not a good experience but maybe it is what it is. Did my recent oil change in Larmont Fiat and seems ok but just farther.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Someone finally looked at it today, after I told them I was picking up car today.

They are ordering a new top and 2 entire set belt assemblies (Covered by warranty). Quoted 45 days on the seat belt assembly, ETA on top is unknown. I think last time was several months to get the top. Being that car is going into storage soon and I don't drive in winter, may end up being a spring repair. Since they ordered parts probably committed to having them do this repair. Any future repairs, I'll use Larchmont. At least they are a stand alone FIAT/Alfa Dealer and their FIAT history dates back to FIAT's presence in the 70's and 80's.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Watch out for Westbury Fiat
Two times I did oil changes there.
Both times they charged me over $100. Not even a tire rotation. ( that's additional)
There is nothing wrong with what the dealership charge. I currently work at Lexus oil change is $109.95 plus tax is $89.95 with a coupon
One thing I understand is dealership is expensive, but someone has to be paying the overheads, the techs, the loans, and the building
Especially it is shared with the alfa romeo shop . Also oing oil change on our cars is a PIA, There are a lot of garbage dealerships around thats' true

If you choose the dealership at least they messed up they have credibility and a reputation to maintain, at least most places I worked yes.

It is always cheaper if you go outside or buy the oil and do it yourself. Nobody forces you to go to the dealership
But if you fucked up, or some other shop fucked up then it's on you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts