Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Someone finally looked at it today, after I told them I was picking up car today.

They are ordering a new top and 2 entire set belt assemblies (Covered by warranty). Quoted 45 days on the seat belt assembly, ETA on top is unknown. I think last time was several months to get the top. Being that car is going into storage soon and I don't drive in winter, may end up being a spring repair. Since they ordered parts probably committed to having them do this repair. Any future repairs, I'll use Larchmont. At least they are a stand alone FIAT/Alfa Dealer and their FIAT history dates back to FIAT's presence in the 70's and 80's.
Good luck and thanks for the update (on the roof especially). I'll post if/when I get mine to Larchmont.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I told you they sucked and you already had a bad experience. There must be an alternative, no?
It’s further but I’m going to try Larchmont for potential roof warranty. I’m not hopeful there either.
Better luck.
The roof problem might not be the roof itself, but the frame that holds it is not lined up right. If it is bowed out on one side that would cause that problem. I worked on all kinds of exotics and found that most problems is bad quality control.

·
Registered
2017 Classica
5 Posts
Made an appt to bring car in to Local Authorized FIAT Dealer Service Center. (Ramsey FIAT/Alfa in NJ). Car is a 2018 Abarth Spider with 22,000 Miles

Issues

1: Top rubs bottom of drivers side roll hoop when in up position. This same dealership replaced the top last year, when I pointed out the rub last year, they indicated it would stretch in a few weeks. It's been over a year, clear wear signs on the top. This top actually fits worse then the old one.

2. Seat belts don't retract. Drivers side is very bad, passenger side starting to become problematic.

Never got updates as promised..Have 9 instances of a promised call backs that never materialized. At one point I was told it was on the floor and they were looking at it. Yesterday a service manager called me and left a voicemail (I have it saved) saying they are having staffing issues and have not looked at the car. He promised me it would be looked at today. he was going to talk to shop foreman and FIAT service Techs. 5PM today I got no updates, called and again they told me that no one has looked at. Service lead can't tell me why... he again said he would have to engage the service manager. I wanted to send an email but receptionist did not have service mangers email address.

I called FIATCARES Today and opened up a case. The agent while pleasant did not know anything about the cars and the service process. She asked me if the probelm was with the front or rear seat belts. Does not give me confidence. Apparently I have to wait 24 hrs to get a reply. IF FIATCAres wants to reach out to me, I can share case #.

Sad to say this is not the worst service experience with this delaler. When the car was at this same dealer last year, they "Lost the car" for several days. Then when they found it, at one point I was told they had no one who could drive stick. It took months to get the replacement top, which I understand, but everything else is unprofessional. I've missed several FIAT events and 70 degree tops down driving days. I'm paying for a car that is probably sandwiched between Huge Dodge RAMS.

Great car... lousy service dept... not many options. I wanted to get thee issues addressed before I put car into winter storage.
I understand you totally and have had the same experience with my dealership!
I had taken my car in 8 times at 4-5 hrs/ visit to get the new key fob programmed (they tried to sell me the car with 1, claiming only 1 comes with the car🤔). After getting the correct instructions from Alpha Romero- Fiat Mgr in SC, did they finally get it right.
Then I began to hear a whining noise in the engine between gears 1-3, 1st Tech claims he didn't hear anything but when I pick up the car I heard it immediately - so I rescheduled.
I complained to Service Mgr, he recommended I schedule with specific Tech for Fiat. With new appt, at test drive with this specific Tech - he admitted that none of them were trained on the Fiat and the car was just 'DUMPED ON THEM'! I was told since there were no dash warning lights on, not to worry and if any came on to come back.
SO FOR US FIAT OWNERS THAT PURCHASED FROM FCA/CHRYSLER DEALERS - WE'RE LEFT OUT HERE FLOUNDERING!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just got a mssg from FIAT, my seatbelt assembly is on backorder for 3rd month now. No ETA available. Blamed on supplier. Of course the dealership wants to do the top and the belts at the same time as it requires some of the same disassambly.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Just one example: five years ago Tavares formed a team to study and develop a detailed strategy to bring Peugeot back to North America. The team even has an official representative in North America; his name is Larry Dominique. Larry Dominique | CAR MBS Speaker

By contrast, Marchionne scribbled on the back of an envelope how much money he could extort from dealers for each Fiat franchise, and developed a “strategy” to bring Fiat back to North America over a cup of cappuccino. He then put an incompetent lacky by the name of Laura Soave in charge. It was all downhill since day one: Fiat North America Head Soave Out as 500 Sales Stagnate in U.S.
The problem (well, there's more than one, but I'll just speak to one), is that from what I read, Manley's role in the company is to bring Peugeot back to North America. If he does an equally stellar job of that as he did manning the ship when Fiat returned to our shores, then the Peugeot ship is doomed before it even leaves port. Yes, it was Soave who was in charge of Fiat North America, but when any division of a company fails, you need to look further up the food chain to find the root cause. IMHO.... lol

Reactions: Aldo and AbarthEsq
21 - 25 of 25 Posts