Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, having a really weird issue with my low windshield washer fluid light. So I got the low windshield washer fluid light a couple months ago, and sure enough, it was low. Bought some cheapo halford's windshield washer fluid, poured it in, and the light still stayed on even after driving for a while. Lived with the light on for a while until it got low again, but this time since I didn't have any washer fluid with me, I just filled it with regular distilled water. After driving a couple minutes, the light went out! I thought to myself that was kind of weird, and bought more washer fluid to have on hand for a later time. Recently the washer fluid light came on and it was actually low, so I refilled it with the Prestone Deicing washer fluid I had, kept driving, and the light stayed on even after filling it up. Frustrated, I decided to experiment. I drained the washer fluid tank and poured distilled water to see if the light went out again. After a couple minutes of driving with the water, the light went out!

So has anyone else had this issue where the car only likes water for washer fluid? I've never dealt with something like this before, and logic would dictate that if the sensor was bad, it'd be on all the time, not just when water is in the tank. But then again, I don't know if the sensor is resistance based, and the water is causing it to see a different resistance than the washer fluid. What do you guys think? Bad sensor? Or do I need specific washer fluid?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just another thought..... possible scum build up on the sensor ? Perhaps, carefully jet-hose the reservoir then leave a hose pipe gently flooding out. That should at least clean it out good and proper !
Might give that a go and see if I can see anything in there.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Hi.....I think Arthur is right about sticking to concentrated mix as Distilled water alone could cause electron damage to metals, whereas, water alone as we know causes rust. The sensor sends a signal to the ECU to light the bulb when the system is low so it your "Concentrated Mix" level is good then your sensor may have died. Try ebay or reputable parts service before Fiat as you may need a mortgage to purchase anything marked Mopar from them. I dare say MX Parts will supply the same item at a decent price so all you have to do is "hopefully" is remove sensor and fit newby.....
The cheapo Halfords stuff....did you mix it with water ? if so, rust may have attacked your sensor, so Plain water and Distilled water are No, No 's, Concentrated Mix Yep and if you follow Arthur's advice you also get supermarket points and we all know..."Points means Prizes". Let us know outcome , cheers,
ron

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Hi.....I think Arthur is right about sticking to concentrated mix as Distilled water alone could cause electron damage to metals, whereas, water alone as we know causes rust. The sensor sends a signal to the ECU to light the bulb when the system is low so it your "Concentrated Mix" level is good then your sensor may have died. Try ebay or reputable parts service before Fiat as you may need a mortgage to purchase anything marked Mopar from them. I dare say MX Parts will supply the same item at a decent price so all you have to do is "hopefully" is remove sensor and fit newby.....
The cheapo Halfords stuff....did you mix it with water ? if so, rust may have attacked your sensor, so Plain water and Distilled water are No, No 's, Concentrated Mix Yep and if you follow Arthur's advice you also get supermarket points and we all know..."Points means Prizes". Let us know outcome , cheers,
ron
Should have wrote pump not sensor....I am guessing that that is one unit so suggesting plain water or distilled water has affected pump operation (sticking) therefore sensor thinks water level low. Just looked on MX5 Parts site for you,nothing obvious but may be worth a phone call, otherwise...I found a "Mishimoto" alloy tank at only £150 ish !! I'd try MX Parts first, see if pump and sensor are one then, compare with ebay for prices, Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sensor is "failing" with the premixed washer fluids. When I go straight water, it works normal again. The pump still works since it sprays fluid out, it's just the level sensor that's acting wonky. I think the sensor is built into the reservoir, so if I change that, then I might have to change the whole tank, which I don't want to do because the pump still works fine and sprays fluid normally.

·
Registered
603 Posts
That's weird. I likely have the OEM windshield washing fluid in what I think is a 50 gallon reservoir!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
The sensor is "failing" with the premixed washer fluids. When I go straight water, it works normal again. The pump still works since it sprays fluid out, it's just the level sensor that's acting wonky. I think the sensor is built into the reservoir, so if I change that, then I might have to change the whole tank, which I don't want to do because the pump still works fine and sprays fluid normally.
Got all that.....that's why I am saying change it as the problem you have seems to indicate that the sensor is "iffy" so you either live with it, try an OBD reset when it happens or remove and change the unit. The scrap yards advertise on ebay regularly with seats, suspension and other parts, so maybe give them a shout and see if they will sell you a unit cheap.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A warning light for washer fluid.

I'm so glad I have the low tech package on my Classica. No silly nanny warnings like this. Well, fewer. No Apple/Android shenanigans. No navigation system challenges. I get in, turn on the reliable yet archaic radio for some good music, and go out for a day of exploration and getting lost, loving every last minute of technological freedom.

Pop the hood a couple times a month. Check the sight levels on the various fluid reservoirs, pull your dip stick, and top off the washer fluid jug. That takes what, 3 minutes? Add an extra 2 minutes and put a gauge on the damn tires, too! Your eye will never fail you like a 10-cent sensor can. I mean, are we as a society so dependent on this meaningless, silly tech that we don't even know what's important anymore? We've all been relieved of our responsibilities by way of laziness-inducing technology, only to the financial benefit of the auto manufacturers and dealers who say, "Buyers demand it." Bull****. They invented it and put it out there, we bought it, now we insist on it. It breaks, they fix it, you give them umpteen hundred dollars for that precious sensor. That little sensor in the blue juice jug is our own damn fault!

A small piece of black electrical tape over that display fault icon fixes that problem.

Long live simplicity! Oh, wait... R.I.P., simplicity. Rant over.

Steve.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
A warning light for washer fluid.

I'm so glad I have the low tech package on my Classica. No silly nanny warnings like this. Well, fewer. No Apple/Android shenanigans. No navigation system challenges. I get in, turn on the reliable yet archaic radio for some good music, and go out for a day of exploration and getting lost, loving every last minute of technological freedom.

Pop the hood a couple times a month. Check the sight levels on the various fluid reservoirs, pull your dip stick, and top off the washer fluid jug. That takes what, 3 minutes? Add an extra 2 minutes and put a gauge on the damn tires, too! Your eye will never fail you like a 10-cent sensor can. I mean, are we as a society so dependent on this meaningless, silly tech that we don't even know what's important anymore? We've all been relieved of our responsibilities by way of laziness-inducing technology, only to the financial benefit of the auto manufacturers and dealers who say, "Buyers demand it." Bull****. They invented it and put it out there, we bought it, now we insist on it. It breaks, they fix it, you give them umpteen hundred dollars for that precious sensor. That little sensor in the blue juice jug is our own damn fault!

A small piece of black electrical tape over that display fault icon fixes that problem.

Long live simplicity! Oh, wait... R.I.P., simplicity. Rant over.

Steve.
Good for you Stevet........Exactly how I feel about how technology has gone daft ! Whilst I feel for Lynk26 and the concerns he has..it is just another stupid waste of material and money when you think about it.
I had a BMW 320i E30 series 1989-90 with a fuel use gauge that I put masking tape over as it was so annoying and though I loved my R53 2006 Mini Cooper S I didn't go for the latest version as when I asked the salesman to pop the bonnet I couldn't find the oil dipstick, he looked at me blank before spending 5 minutes searching the manual to discover that it doesn't have one......You have to go through a scroll down process to check level as you top up !!
Not for me....and as I own an "Abarthised Classica" myself I have to say that Basic is Best but technology improvements in the right areas of a car, as in..Exhaust, Suspension, brakes and Breathing are welcome, fueling also but the "Nanny Warnings" belong elsewhere.
Glad I joined the rant and dont have a low level washer warning light, Cheers
ron

Reactions: David Uk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ah, simplicity.

Memories Of A Simpler Time 2 Bw by Steve Harrington

Just waxing nostalgic here a little bit after yesterday's venting. I think we can all imagine tootling down a quiet highway, top down, behind the wheel of this oldtimer.

Okay, sorry for the detour, back to the topic at hand.

Steve.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Ah, simplicity.
View attachment 74892
Memories Of A Simpler Time 2 Bw by Steve Harrington

Just waxing nostalgic here a little bit after yesterday's venting. I think we can all imagine tootling down a quiet highway, top down, behind the wheel of this oldtimer.

Okay, sorry for the detour, back to the topic at hand.

Steve.
Absolutely Love it..............A while before my time but enjoyed John Wayne and Co films with scenes just like that, coming in off the dirt track roads to fill up and have a "screen wipe" (still on track see). The garage I use when I have to is a couple of farm sheds with ramps and the old fashioned tyre remover. The Father started the business and died about 10 years back but his two sons continue with the help of a couple of good honest local Mechanics, who have also been there since school days. The prices less than half of modern Dealerships, the Personal Service you can't compete with...Excellent, and...they are now all good friends.
I saved a few bits and pieces along the way and they have lasted well, I wonder....what an old plastic bottle display will look like in years to come...........Enjoyed that Steve, Cheers
ron

IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regular water also fixes it just fine lol. Just thought it was weird that it came on with washer fluid and not with water.

Got all that.....that's why I am saying change it as the problem you have seems to indicate that the sensor is "iffy" so you either live with it, try an OBD reset when it happens or remove and change the unit. The scrap yards advertise on ebay regularly with seats, suspension and other parts, so maybe give them a shout and see if they will sell you a unit cheap.
Can't do an OBD reset as it's not an engine code. It's out now as I have water in it, I'll just stick with that until I take it to the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts