Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their springs while keeping the original Bilstein shocks?

I thought my car with Bilsteins and factory springs was quite jarring over rough roads. I fixed that last year. I found a good compromise for the road with Tokicos and Eibach Pro springs. I also got about 1” lowering which I like.

I have started autocrossing; still have my Bilsteins in the garage. Am wondering if I can get flatter cornering with the Bilsteins and some aftermarket springs, without bringing back the jarring ride I had with the factory springs.

Please let me know what has worked well for you and how much lowering you experienced.

Or should I just consider Koni adjustable shocks with aftermarket springs?

A non-jarring ride is still quite important to me. Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FWIW I have the same Eibach lowered springs with Konis, installed by the prior owner. Feels great on the road, and my honey is very impressed with the ride quality while still ripping through corners. Well, relatively ripping, anyway. ;-)

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
284 Posts
I asked this exact question and got a response that the swift springs work really well with the bilstines. That being said everyone has their own opinion on comfort. I believe @murix was the member who informed me of this. Maybe see If more info about them can be obtained. I believe @Greg said he really liked the H&R. Good luck and have fun in your events.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What about sway bars? That’ll help with the ‘flatness’.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro-kits on OEM Bilsteins. Significantly reduced body roll to the point that I don't feel the need to upgrade sway bars for street driving, and the spring rates are better matched to the damping so the ride is actually better than factory.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
24 Posts
I have GWR Roadster Sport springs on the OEM shocks. I have the same exact opinion as Kain does regarding body roll (and pitch) and ride quality. Lowered the car about a half inch front and rear....I’m very pleased with the mod.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Eibach Pro-kits on OEM Bilsteins. Significantly reduced body roll to the point that I don't feel the need to upgrade sway bars for street driving, and the spring rates are better matched to the damping so the ride is actually better than factory.
Kain and Fred, That is exactly the information I am looking for. The Eibach Pros I have on Tokicos greatly improved both ride and handling on my Abarth. But now, a year later, I want even more handling without going back to the jarring ride I had with the factory springs on the Bilsteins. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Reactions: Kain

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, good stuff. Thanks to all.

I watch these threads as next year I'm replacing the springs (along with wheels). "Jarring" is spot on. Every now and again I hit a pothole/bump and it scares the hell out me. Quite unnerving. Glad there are options to fix it. Now, to find the right one!

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
132 Posts
So I take it you're running the Classica/Lusso shocks with the lowering springs and prefer that?

I found with my 500 Turbo that sometimes there is such a thing as too stiff - it would lose contact with rough pavement in the corners. I definitely want to avoid that with my 124 Classica, so have been very hesitant to mess with the suspension, though I would like to reduce roll without losing the "road following" ability of a slightly more compliant suspension, since I am frequently dealing with rough pavement (not track, but prefer going out to the hills).

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I take it you're running the Classica/Lusso shocks with the lowering springs and prefer that?
]
MadFiat, Yes, That's it exactly, bought the shock assemblies from two wrecked Classicas and swapped out the springs for Eibachs. Big comfort improvement over the Abarth Factory setup. I also did Megan front and rear sway bars soon thereafter which helped with roll.

I just want more autocross performance now. But don't want to wreck my street ride. I found another thread on the forum where a member said he tried everything, threw lots of moey into two kinds of expensive coilovers and also Konis with lowering springs, finally settling on Roadster Sport springs on his original Bilstein shocks. Said the cheapest setup was the best for the ride he wanted. I'm leaning toward that solution right now.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
281 Posts
I had Eibach Pro Kit on my 2017 Abarth and not Flying Miata on my 2019 - both with factory Bilsteins. I like the FM springs a bit more but but ride great.

·
Registered
445 Posts
]
MadFiat, Yes, That's it exactly, bought the shock assemblies from two wrecked Classicas and swapped out the springs for Eibacks. Big comfort improvement over the Abarth Factory setup. I also did Megan front and rear sway bars soon thereafter which helped with roll.

I just want more autocross performance now. But don't want to wreck my street ride. I found another thread on the forum where a member said he tried everything, threw lots of moey into two kinds of expensive coilovers and also Konis with lowering springs, finally settling on Roadster Sport springs on his original Bilstein shocks. Said the cheapest setup was the best for the ride he wanted. I'm leaning toward that solution right now.
That was me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had the XIDA ACE coilovers from Supermiata first, then the Roadsterport springs with the Koni shocks, then the long-stroke Ohlins from Miataspeed, then the Progress springs on my stock Bilsteins.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am getting eibach pro springs fitted to my stock Blisteins on Monday so will report back. Based on the feedback of some other 124 owners here in the UK I am not anticipating any issues.

This guy is running HandR spring on Blisteins;

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lawson Gibbles, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the Eibachs on your Bilsteins; how it changes performance and how it changes the ride quality.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm guessing Lawson has the Euro-spec Eibachs which are not the same as the NA.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm guessing Lawson has the Euro-spec Eibachs which are not the same as the NA.
Ah that is indeed the case - I wasn't aware they were different...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The Eibach Pro-Fits were the single thing that changed my ride...reported here before "Brexit Mods"...thinking it was the 6.5j alloys and 195 tyre combo that caused the understeer feeling, I had ordered a set of 7.5J BBS Le Mans then whilst I was trying to get sense out of the importer (6 months no wheels) I ordered and fitted the Eibach's, keeping the standard 124 Classica Tokico's and found that the Eibach's alone changed the ride, which was always smooth and comfortable, just didn't like coming with me through the bends, liked to follow. The Eibach Pro-Fit being a direct replacement required no tracking alignment check and any concern of lack of inertia and grip in corners was dispersed by changing to 124 Lusso 7j 17" alloys, which then allowed me to get my extra low racing jack under the front axle whereas the 16 OEM alloys would not go without home made wooden ramps..

Awaiting a set of 17" x 8J Retro (Ferrari/Jaguar/Alfa & Fiat 1960's Billet alloys at present, I will swap my Michelin 215/45 R17 XL Pilot Sport 4's to the new alloys and will be "very" interested to see if the extra 5 mm makes the slightest different (doubt it) however....it "should" bring the alloys out to the wheel arches (not beyond) and have "The Stance and Look" that "I Think" the 124 Spider Classica and Lusso, even Abarth model should have been born with "maybe". We Will See......The recommended Michelin is the "W" (149 mph) speed however I chose the XL (to 168 mph) just as a whim and pleased I did, no complaints there, Cheers
ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts