Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if anybody knows where to get the engine computer for the LS3 swap. Flying Miata said theirs probably will not work.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I was wanting to know if anybody knows where to get the engine computer for the LS3 swap. Flying Miata said theirs probably will not work.
No such thing exists for the 124. Yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interesting. If not the Flyinn Miata supplied ecu for the Flying Miata modified ls3, then who’s? Do they normally take a stock mx5 ecu and tune that?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Interesting. If not the Flyinn Miata supplied ecu for the Flying Miata modified ls3, then who’s? Do they normally take a stock mx5 ecu and tune that?
They do. Last time I talked to them they hadn't been able to figure out the 2019 Miata ECU yet but I'm sure they will. Since there is no market for 124 V8 swaps they never bothered to crack on the Magneti Marelli ECU in the Fiat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
They do. Last time I talked to them they hadn't been able to figure out the 2019 Miata ECU yet but I'm sure they will. Since there is no market for 124 V8 swaps they never bothered to crack on the Magneti Marelli ECU in the Fiat.
I’m sure it must be more complex then than my line of questioning, but the Fiat 124 was delivered during the ND1 Miata phase. In the “habu”, they are replacing the motor, supporting motor components and the transmission so I would guess that their cracked ND1 ecu could be a starting point for them since the heart of the Fiat is being ripped out anyway. Why keep the Magneti Marelli? When paying $50k for as extensive a mod, I’d hope they could figure out the rest of the electrics unless there is some legal ramification.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I’m sure it must be more complex then than my line of questioning, but the Fiat 124 was delivered during the ND1 Miata phase. In the “habu”, they are replacing the motor, supporting motor components and the transmission so I would guess that their cracked ND1 ecu could be a starting point for them since the heart of the Fiat is being ripped out anyway. Why keep the Magneti Marelli? When paying $50k for as extensive a mod, I’d hope they could figure out the rest of the electrics unless there is some legal ramification.
I don't think its a question of if they could, it's a question of if its worth their while for an almost non-existent market. $50K isn't that much once you subtract the cost of the hardware and labor involved in just the physical swap. Reverse engineering the electronics would burn up the profits from what would probably be a handful at best of 124 swaps.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I live in Grand Junction and have taken my car to Flyin' Miata a couple of times for dyno sessions. I also see several of the guys at the track on track days. They are good folks and very smart and knowledgeable about the Miata. They briefly were going to support the 124 until they saw the sales numbers and realized there would be no market for them so they sold their project car and didn't look back. I bug them all the time about supporting the 124 but they aren't interested in supporting it beyond the brakes and suspension stuff that transfer over from the ND. Even on their Habu swaps they still can't dial in full functionality like traction control so there are still ECU matters that elude them. It would be even worse with the Fiat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts