Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to settle between black and saddle Lusso leather interiors. Is one better than the other for hiding scuffs/dirt? Are the door inserts magnets for either? Does saddle darken with age? Also, I live in northeast U.S., so will use car less in winter. I'd appreciate any thoughts or info on this. Looking to buy 124 in next 3-4 weeks. Thanks:)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Asking us to compare them is kind of tough, as we will own either one or the other.

I have black, and yes it shows scuffs. They wipe off pretty easily. I imagine the tan scuffs, too.

My recommendation would be to get the color combination you prefer and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I loved the saddle but when I was test driving found seats in the Lusso too high. I fit much better in the Abarth or Classica. There seems to be extra padding in the Lusso seats that gets the very top of my head just outside the air bubble with the top down. With the top up my head just touches in the Lusso while in the Abarth I can put my hand between my head and the top.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's the thing, with black, you'll see the scuffs and dirt buildup but not nearly as much as you will with the tan. BUT too much blank makes everything disappear and the tan interior is very much more "look at me"

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't speak for the 124 itself. But I owned a 95 M-Editon Miata with the saddle seats when I lived in Maine. I loved the contrast between the Merlot and saddle seats. Owned that one for 6 years with no change in color to the seats what so ever. Then I purchased 01 Audi TT roadster with Baseball interior (saddle). I still have it in fact. The color has darkened a little bit but still shows well. It too is a beautiful contrast with the grey exterior. When I finally purchase my 124 it will also have a saddle interior. btw my Abarth C is in fact black/black and is a little too dark for my taste but the price was right. So I would go with whatever interior color you like best. Trust me when the top is down it's not really going to make any difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ordered the black on black but ended up with the saddle when the dealer sourced the wrong combo. Worked to my benefit as it was the last day of the year so they came back with a cash offer to convince me. So far it looks good with no scuffing and does look good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Asking us to compare them is kind of tough, as we will own either one or the other.

I have black, and yes it shows scuffs. They wipe off pretty easily. I imagine the tan scuffs, too.

My recommendation would be to get the color combination you prefer and don't worry about it.
Pretty much my thoughts. The Spider just looks gorgeous to me with the saddle leather in so many exterior colors. It was one of the major reasons I went with the Lusso vs. the Classica. To my eye, the saddle leather with the white, and black accents is beautiful. Just love the "black and tan" interior. I drive Little Spidee around with the top down most of the time and the saddle interior really stands out, sans top. Saddle/ tan always looks good with a red exterior and was especially nice on the blue Prima. My other car has black leather and it's just "blah" compared to the saddle. The Saddle was a "no brainer" for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the feedback, esp sleepys comment on loss of headroom in Lusso trim. I need to test drive one to check that. Probably go w the black int. My wife's Santa Fe Sport turbo has saddle, but only on the seats, which I like. I need to see the 124's version of saddle w my own eyes. Too many variables in online photos.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, esp sleepys comment on loss of headroom in Lusso trim. I need to test drive one to check that. Probably go w the black int. My wife's Santa Fe Sport turbo has saddle, but only on the seats, which I like. I need to see the 124's version of saddle w my own eyes. Too many variables in online photos.
I really like the saddle color but got black in my Lusso. Main reason is long term. I've had three other recent cars with saddle or tan leather interiors and after a year the tan was fading heavily on the bolsters of the drivers seat, and even somewhat on the passenger side - typically where my petite wife would sit. One was a bimmer, the other a VW, the third was a ford. Ended up not looking so great in the long run. Since my spider is also my daily driver I went with black. 9000 miles in the black leather still looks brand new. So even though I really like the look of the saddle, I'm very happy with the black and have even broken it up a bit with a few red details in the cabin. As for the headroom thing - I'm 6'2" - no problem with headroom in the Lusso. I found the cloth Classica seats less comfortable and never tried the Abarth since it wasn't out yet when i bought the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the saddle with the Aregento Grigio Aluminum exterior and love it. Black is too hot in Florida.
I do have some wear on the side of the seat where I rub everytime I get into the car. If I moved the seat back it would be better but I don't want to have to adjust the seat everytime I get in. One thing I miss is the auto seat settings from my other cars.

·
Registered
958 Posts
When I was shopping for my car, I would have liked the tan, rather than the black. However, the only tan interior available at the time came with the electric blue paint and big price tag. I went with the silver Lusso with black interior, and I like it very much. If I could wave a wand and change it to the tan, I would, but I would not pay extra for it. Just my preference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks- a most useful post. I've pretty much decided on black, regardless of exterior. If too sweaty in summer I'll just over w a towel, or maybe terry cloth seat cover/s.

·
Registered
476 Posts
all leather slowly will absorb body oil and if you use a conditioner/cleaner it will also be absorbing that. so the color of the saddle interior will change some over time, how much depends on what type of exposure, and it is possible to have the seats show darker than the dash or door panels after years of use. a black interior that gets a slight scuff will usually darken when rubbed up with a conditioner so the scuff tends to fade pretty good and blend it. i had an 83 5th Ave. with a dark blue interior. it got regular conditioning and other than looking worn in still maintained it's coloring well when i got rid of it around 2000 with close to 150k on the clock. i had a 2011 chry 200 that my wedding ring scuffed a spot on the black leather steering wheel and over time it all but disappeared probably wasn't noticeable except that i knew it was there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts