Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oil change better in fall or spring

After a big argument with the service dept, cause they were too busy installing snow tires, they finally agreed to change my oil. They told me that oil change is every 10k km not 8k as I thought.

While they were changing oil I noticed there were 3 of them trying to pull out the OIL Filter. Maybe you have to have long and slim arms.>:)

Question, due these guys will be busy due to installing snow tires in fall is it better to make the OIL Change in Fall 2018 before winterizing or Spring 2019 less hastle. This year I only put 7500km. tia

Here in Quebec snow tires are mandatory as of December 15. Winterize the car end of November.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Best to change the oil in the fall, the last thing you do before putting it to sleep for the winter. Flush out the dirty, acidic oil, get the fresh oil in the pan and coating all the engine parts. You don't want that old oil sitting in the engine all winter long. You did the right thing. Besides, come spring, they will be busy removing snow tires...

Personally, I like your 7500km (4660 miles) change better than 10000km (6213 miles). That oil works hard inside our little turbo engines with their funky intake valves; it is required to pass through some pretty small and important passages. I like fresh, clean oil. It gives that engine one extra edge to a long, dependable service life.

What oil did they claim to have installed?

Steve.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The invoice only mention synthetic. But there was a promotion where if you had your a synthetic oil change PENZOIL they would give you a $20 rebate. It was a mail rebate, so I assume it's penzoil

·
Registered
142 Posts
After a big argument with the service dept, cause they were too busy installing snow tires, they finally agreed to change my oil. They told me that oil change is every 10k km not 8k as I thought.

While they were changing oil I noticed there were 3 of them trying to pull out the OIL Filter. Maybe you have to have long and slim arms.>:)

Question, due these guys will be busy due to installing snow tires in fall is it better to make the OIL Change in Fall 2018 before winterizing or Spring 2019 less hastle. This year I only put 7500km. tia

Here in Quebec snow tires are mandatory as of December 15. Winterize the car end of November.

3 service techs. trying to get the filter out? That is why I don't a dealer working on my car if I can do it myself.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Spider
44 Posts
3 service techs. trying to get the filter out? That is why I don't a dealer working on my car if I can do it myself.
I totally agree. I'm ready to do my third oil change at 8k miles. Not a problem and it gives me a chance to look around,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Note that the promotion for a MOPAR synthetic oil change is a Canadian promotion, apparently not available in US.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I live in a condo, I don't have the facilities that I use to have when having a house and an indoor garage.
I use to change my breaks, changed a whole muffler on my 128, front shocks, ball joints and so on.

The Service rep asked me how I liked the spider and I told him I loved it and so on since he use to repair fiats in his younger days. They haven't done much oil change on the spiders and the mechanic that did the oil change was a chubby and short. LOL So they weren't CITY WORKERS. <bg>
It was getting the cartridge off they had problem, but after it was smooth.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Since I live in a condo, I don't have the facilities that I use to have when having a house and an indoor garage.
I use to change my breaks, changed a whole muffler on my 128, front shocks, ball joints and so on.

The Service rep asked me how I liked the spider and I told him I loved it and so on since he use to repair fiats in his younger days. They haven't done much oil change on the spiders and the mechanic that did the oil change was a chubby and short. LOL So they weren't CITY WORKERS. <bg>
It was getting the cartridge off they had problem, but after it was smooth.
Having a condo makes it hard, I know because I live in one, too. I am fortunate to be able to do my oil changes at my dad's house.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if this is your first oil change since new...you did well to do it at the dealer for the record and warranty...... I too change oil before putting away for winter due to mentioned issues. The techs in Toronto are slimmer.....so only one was needed to replace the filter but then 3 to pour the oil :)......pic of oil used.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Having a condo makes it hard, I know because I live in one, too. I am fortunate to be able to do my oil changes at my dad's house.
Some condos I believe have designated areas you can wash your car and do some minor work, in the future that might be worth looking into for anyone here that wants that level of freedom. but to be honest these days it easier for me to go to the dealership, in the future we might see them do more pick ups rather than us having to go to them. car makers want to move away from the dealership model.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some condos I believe have designated areas you can wash your car and do some minor work, in the future that might be worth looking into for anyone here that wants that level of freedom. but to be honest these days it easier for me to go to the dealership, in the future we might see them do more pick ups rather than us having to go to them. car makers want to move away from the dealership model.
I originally thought my condo had that option, no dice. I miss having the opportunity to wash my car when I want to, rather than taking it to a car wash to have it done. I used to change the oil on my 1968 Olds, but my later cars were too tightly packed (honda CRX), so I got out of the habit of changing my own oil.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my condo, there's an outside are to wash the car, but winter, well you have to do with the bucket. LOL
I have 2 indoor car spaces, which one I rent for the spider. I can do minor mechanical changes, like I installed the Euro drive lite ECU. OIL changes, forget it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What oil did they claim to have installed?

Steve.
A few years back, our Honda dealer had a special on a full syn/oil filter change that I could not pass up. A week later as I was getting the tires rotated/balanced at Discount Tire, I noticed that they installed an off brand/cheap oil filter (filter is close to the RF tire) instead of a Honda filter that I always use. So I took it back, showed the manager and questioned him about using syn oil or dino. I had them redo the oil change with good syn and a Honda filter and watched the tech in the shop the whole time. I've never gone back back for a dealer special again...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts