Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally took the plunge to change out the stock Abarth exhaust. The MagnaFlow tips completely fill the exhaust openings. It had a deeper rumble, and is louder. Have not tried it driving about, yet.

It was a fairly straightforward fit. Looks good, with highly polished resonator/muffler. The exhaust does enter the muffler from the side rather than straight in, like most other mufflers for this car, but wasn't a problem.

This was purchased from Eurocompulsion, with free shipping, and the Halloween discount :) It only took two days to get here, so that's fantastic service!

[EDIT: Just listened to this with laptop speakers; it doesn't do it justice, really. The deep rumble is lost. Using studio speakers or a good quality headphones really makes the distinction.]

Reactions: Control and DavidH

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does Magnaflow claim a horsepower increase?
No, they don't. But it's claimed to be a 'straight through' design, so less restrictive than the original, as well as being larger diameter. The cross-pipe under the engine is probably where the most restriction is, but this exhaust at least relieves the muffler restriction.

Reactions: AeroMark

·
Registered
7 Posts
The MagnaFlow sounds much better than what comes stock in the U.S (maybe even better sound than the Monza IMHO) ...very cool

·
Registered
350 Posts
I must be weird, I like sound out of the standard Abarth exhaust better, oh well, just saved myself some money :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must be weird, I like sound out of the standard Abarth exhaust better, oh well, just saved myself some money :)
In part, that's why I posted it. I wanted an exhaust, but wasn't over enthralled with a straight pipe (no muffler or resonator) - some were noting that it's too loud. I could not find anyone who had the MagnaFlow. Took the plunge. I like the tips (some may say they are oversized), and the drive this morning gives a deeper growl than the stock exhaust, and a bit louder.

Hopefully, it'll give others a better idea what they can have if they want to change out the exhaust (or not, as the case may be).

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, glad I did the $300 custom muffler delete with my choice of tips (3 1/2" dual black powdered coated) since it sounds more robust; however, it is nice to be able to get so many different sound choices to fit an individual's preference.

·
Registered
662 Posts
SJ,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the MagnaFlow. New Hampshire has an annual "Safety" inspection, and muffler deletes or by-passes are not allowed unless factory installed. The garage that does my inspection told me that the GoodWin exhaust with a resonated midpipe would not be legal, so MagnaFlow it is.

The videos aren't all that helpful and it sounds about the same as stock to me. your description of the sound is much more helpful.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As an update:

Have driven around 80 miles on the exhaust, now. It is slightly louder than stock when cruising and has a much deeper tone. It really makes itself known when pushing the go pedal, though. It's not obnoxious, at all, it like a solid deep sound. I would say rather pleasant, and (unfortunately?!) eggs you on to keep pushing the go-pedal :)

I kept the box it came in just in case it wasn't what I wanted, but I like it. As noted above, while I don't live in a state that 'requires' a muffler, theres a race track near by me that require a commercially available muffler installed to run your car on track days.

Performance wise, I'm not sure I can feel an increase (kind of like go-faster stripes - I can feel it, but don't know if it's just the placebo effect), but it seems smoother pulling in the mid rev range (around the 2500-3500 range).

Reactions: Roadscum and DavidH

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How does the MagnaFlow sound when you drive your Abarth? Do you get crackles and pops like with the Monza?
Any cracks and pops are louder than with the stock Abarth (only had it a couple of times with a bit of aggressive 'engine and gearbox management'); it all depends on what you are doing with the engine.

Reactions: DavidH

·
Registered
549 Posts
**** this thread !!!

Just when I thought that I decided on my exhaust system (resonated Ragazzon) this curve ball arrives

Sounds nice - tick

Looks good - maybe the tips are a bit too big

Any drone issues ??

Need to check shipping to Australia

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joseph124; I hear ya. That was one of my other choices. Since I couldn't decide for the longest time, I made the decision. Eurocompulsion had it right there, with free shipping, so just did it.

The tips are big. I think some won't like it, but I don't like huge, unnecessary, cutouts for exhausts and wanted to fill it. Having said that, the other options (Ragazzon, for example) fill the space better than the OEM, and some have replaceable tips to choose the size and type wanted. Again, that put too many decisions in play... ;)

As far as droning, it's louder than stock, and has a deeper note, so you can hear it while cruising - but it doesn't resonate the whole car, with either top up or down. However, some people seem sensitive to exhaust note. I don't think it drones, though, and didn't need to adjust the audio volume at all to compensate. Indeed, while going steady, mild, speeds it's quite sedate in volume. Put your foot down and it gives out a nice deep growl.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Spider
44 Posts
Drone is my main concern with an aftermarket exhaust. Your description is spot on with what I want. This is now on my mod list. Thanks for the write up SJWhiteley.

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts
I'm listening to this on my custom built studio speakers, which I personally tuned for linear frequency response. Ultimately this is going to be subjective, but here's my analysis.

The stock Abarth exhaust sounds more throaty. It screams at you more without being raspy. The Magnaflow exhaust is characteristic of other Magnaflow exhausts I've had on previous vehicles; it's a deep, muffled rumble. It lacks some of the bark of the stock Abarth exhaust in exchange for a lower gurgle. I'd have to hear it in person.

I don't mean to sound negative but most Magnaflow exhausts sound the same to me. They tend to neuter the tone and character of an exhaust and work particularly well where rasp is an issue, or exhausts where the higher tones provide a very undesirable sound (like GM 3800 engines, for example). I don't know if I'd take this over the stock Abarth exhaust unless I heard it in person. Just my honest opinion.

As noted earlier though, this is going to be subjective, so if you like it, that's all that matters.

There is always the option for a branch resonator if you find you have any drone issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm listening to this on my custom built studio speakers, which I personally tuned for linear frequency response. Ultimately this is going to be subjective, but here's my analysis.

The stock Abarth exhaust sounds more throaty. It screams at you more without being raspy. The Magnaflow exhaust is characteristic of other Magnaflow exhausts I've had on previous vehicles; it's a deep, muffled rumble. It lacks some of the bark of the stock Abarth exhaust in exchange for a lower gurgle. I'd have to hear it in person.

I don't mean to sound negative but most Magnaflow exhausts sound the same to me. They tend to neuter the tone and character of an exhaust and work particularly well where rasp is an issue, or exhausts where the higher tones provide a very undesirable sound (like GM 3800 engines, for example). I don't know if I'd take this over the stock Abarth exhaust unless I heard it in person. Just my honest opinion.

As noted earlier though, this is going to be subjective, so if you like it, that's all that matters.

There is always the option for a branch resonator if you find you have any drone issues.
Yep thats what I heard too...the stock Abarth exhaust to my ears at least had much more bark to it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts