Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of posts ago, Bulldog66 a Senior Member from Colorado had a brilliant idea about this front plate issue. He suggested installing a strong magnet behind the front tow hook cover, and another on the license plate. I really liked his suggestion. My install is just a temporary measure when I might be parked on a public street and subject to the whims of the Meter Enforcement personnel, or a stray local police squad. Most of the time I am parked in shopping centers, and as private property, the police rarely have jurisdiction there.

For this Mod, I have placed a very strong magnet on the back of the tow hook cover, and the second magnet on the back of the license plate. Where to purchase these materials is shown on one of the attached pictures. Here's hoping I can avoid those pesky "fix-it" tickets since for over 45 years I have been running without any front plate.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
That's a great idea! Magnets have become crazy powerful and this sounds like a good alternative.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have a 2" diameter x 3/8" Neodymium magnet. Believe me they're powerfull. I use this to detect metal studs or metal even 1 1/4" drywall I feel it very much the studs.

They come in different shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A number of posts ago, Bulldog66 a Senior Member from Colorado had a brilliant idea about this front plate issue. He suggested installing a strong magnet behind the front tow hook cover, and another on the license plate. I really liked his suggestion. My install is just a temporary measure when I might be parked on a public street and subject to the whims of the Meter Enforcement personnel, or a stray local police squad. Most of the time I am parked in shopping centers, and as private property, the police rarely have jurisdiction there.

For this Mod, I have placed a very strong magnet on the back of the tow hook cover, and the second magnet on the back of the license plate. Where to purchase these materials is shown on one of the attached pictures. Here's hoping I can avoid those pesky "fix-it" tickets since for over 45 years I have been running without any front plate.

Thanks for the shout out! Looks great. I need to take my own advise and do this for the meter maids as well, automatic ticket around here. That's for proving it out!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magnetic front plate install.

I would be concerned that there would be at least a little bit of movement and that it might scratch the paint .
I share your concern, and as a result, have modified my original post by changing from the AceHardware magnets with only a 15lb. pull to a Neodymium Rare Earth magnet with a 31 lb. pull, twice as much, and as suggested by Frankmar. I got these magnets from K&J Magnetics, Inc. Here is the link to the specific product:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/search-pn.asp?pg=1&stext=DX44

These magnets are so strong, if you have two of them together, it is almost impossible to get them apart. Hence, a potential problem. The little tabs that hold the tow hook cover are so small, I was concerned that when I pulled the license plate away from the tow hook cover, it would break those small plastic tabs that hold it in place. Accordingly, I have added a very sturdy plastic kitchen spatula to the mix, and would push the spatula between the license plate magnet and the tow hook cover, thereby preventing the pull away forces from destroying the small tabs on the tow hook cover. I just keep the license plate and spatula in a small plastic bag in the car trunk. Sounds and looks funky, but it works. :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts