Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I picked up a gelato white Abarth with red leather at a dealer in Las Vegas. It was the only one with a stick I could find. I drove home to the Olympic Peninsula on a succession of challenging roads, including Death Valley, CA 33 from Ojai, Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo to Leggett, and US 101 along the Oregon coast. 1870 miles total. What a car! It doesn't load up and shift weight at all in a turn, just goes through where it's pointed. Nice snarl when throttle applied in uphill turn exits. I might be typical of the 70 year olds who are buying this car: I owned a 1972 124 Coupe. Big difference in torque! Photos attached are from Death Valley, downtown Ojai, Big Sur, the Sonoma coast, and Siuslaw NF, Oregon. Plus a lunch plate at Nepenthe in Big Sur. In reverse order....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
It's great to see 70 year olds "growing old" disgracefully. Gives this 58 year old something to aspire to!

·
Registered
242 Posts
You got my car! When I called Towbin to see about buying it from Oregon, I was told it was already spoken for, even though they still listed it on their website. They said if you didn't pick it up, they would call me. I never got the call. :(
But congrats to you, another NWer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
beautiful car and beautiful pics! I thought my 5 hour round trip was a bit much, but you take the prize here, and well worth it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing Is Everything

You got my car! When I called Towbin to see about buying it from Oregon, I was told it was already spoken for, even though they still listed it on their website. They said if you didn't pick it up, they would call me. I never got the call. :(
But congrats to you, another NWer.
Oh, sorry! I had the same experience with a similar car, except it had the Brembos, in Santa Monica. "We sold it last night!" Nice dealership, Towbin. They have sold other 124s to Washingtonians. Keep a lookout!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh, sorry! I had the same experience with a similar car, except it had the Brembos, in Santa Monica. "We sold it last night!" Nice dealership, Towbin. They have sold other 124s to Washingtonians. Keep a lookout!
I too missed out on one at Santa Monica, which is why I took the drive up the coast. The things we do for our our toys....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Congratulations Oliverpull. I'm chomping at the bit to drive up coastal Hwy 1. Yesterday I made reservations for an art workshop in Big Sur (Esalen Institute), but that isn't until March. You beat me to the punch with Gelato/red Abarth California coastal photography. In the meantime maybe I'll settle for a run up to Ojai. I recognize those building arches.

Seventy is nothing. I was on the phone with a 92-year-old friend the other day who is still driving his manual NC into San Francisco. That's enough to scare me (working the clutch on those hills, as I did once in a VW Beetle), and I'm only 59.

Keep us posted if you plan any additions to it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes LBJ, I remember driving the '72 124 in SFO - a daunting task. Launching the torque-less twin cam was an art form even on flat pavement. If engagement was too swift and RPMS too low, it bucked like a mule. Stopped at the top of a hill, you couldn't see the other side of the street your view angle was so extreme. Then the light turns green and the performance begins: at least 2000 RPMS needed with a feathery release of the clutch to get up to flatland; then a full-throttle assault of the hill on the other side till 6,000 RPMS when you dared shift to second. Cabin filled with clutch plate aroma. Those were the days.

Ojai - had not been there before. Leaving there and going up CA33 I was surprised at the elevation in Los Padres - 5,500 ft - there was snow on the ground!

Don't pass up Nepenthe in March.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beautiful car, and inspiring drive!

I too picked up a manual Abarth far from home, but only about 500 miles back from the dealer. That said, I did some of the same roads that you just drove in southern California and up - what a way to break the car in!

Congratulations on the new car, the great drive, and the beginning of what's sure to be a long love affair with the new Abarth. Enjoy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Way to go OP! Awesome pictures. They look like the dream shots I have taken when I go to bed at night. ! I'm going with same color, luxury package with black leather. It's been almost 6 months now but at least I have a ViN to give me hope. My dealer says it is currently somewhere between Hiroshima and Baltimore, then another two weeks on rail to Minnesota. Enjoy your Abarth!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, HWY84, I was inspired to choose CA33 after seeing your video. The road conditions were way different: wet road most of the way. But the Abarth paid no attention. Wish I'd had a GoPro to mount for the twisties out of Stinson Beach!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks, HWY84, I was inspired to choose CA33 after seeing your video. The road conditions were way different: wet road most of the way. But the Abarth paid no attention. Wish I'd had a GoPro to mount for the twisties out of Stinson Beach!
Good to know that the Abarth handles well on wet roads. My last sports car had 12" wide rear tires and was famous for scary hydroplaning in the rain. BTW, your story yesterday about driving in SF really made me laugh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just saw this - and I'm so happy I inspired another Abarth-er to head over CA33! It really is a magnificent road, through a beautiful section of the state.

Having had my fair share of wet mountain driving in the last couple of weeks, I agree. The Abarth seems to pay no mind! These tires, while not part of the current crop of crazy grippy tires, are admirable in the wet. Plus, the chassis is so communicative, that I can choose a slower pace in the rain, but still enjoy the car moving around on the suspension in a way that's fun yet safe, and not just plain safe.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats!

I ended up hopping on a plane from Dallas Tx and Flew into Newport News Va. for my Abarth.
Being 6'2, I was somewhat worried about the long drive ahead of me, it was the best decision I ever made.
I Enjoyed the drive back to Dallas through Tennessee in the smoky mountains, It was a blast- Best road trip ever.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's indeed a long way! For you, at least. I live only 10 minutes away, and I was wondering when I would see your Abarth in town. Not anytime soon, as I assume that you won't be going back for their free oil changes. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts