Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We detailed the car today, nothing out of the ordinary, but after a shot drive the maintenance light came on. There is no info in the infotainment system. Is this normal? Can this be read with a OBDII tool or will this be a trip to the dealership? In the pics you will see we're approaching 7k miles, but there is no schedule maintenance at that interval? Help and info please and TIA.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I would be worried if the monthly payments light would come on. After 3 blinks cannot start your car,:eek: Only your dealer can reset it, of course they expect you to make your payments first0:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
That is the oil change light. No dealer required. You can reset it yourself. Take a look at the the maintenance and service section of this forum for more info.

You will find it in the sub menu for "Fait 124 Spider Tech and Performance" section.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It means the engine thinks you're due for an oil change, mine came on at about the same mileage. The second time it came on was not till 17,000 miles - more of what I was expecting. reset procedure is out here somewhere, but do get an oil change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I find it a bit frustrating that the infotainment can't simply tell me what maintenance needs to be done.

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks everyone. I find it a bit frustrating that the infotainment can't simply tell me what maintenance needs to be done.
Totally agree. A complete waste of a screen. And the CEL screen: tells you that your CEL light is on (Great, thank you, I can see that: it would be nice if it actually had the codes right there.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine told me that it was due an oil change but it's set at 9000 miles not flexible. To switch the spanner on the dash off just press the start button to turn everything on (but don't start the engine) then press the throttle pedal to the floor three times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a different experience with the scheduled maintenance. The gold wrench illuminated this week and indicated that maintenance was scheduled in the next two months or 185 miles, which equates to 5000 total miles or 5 months of ownership. The service required was not identified, but tire rotation was scheduled and identified in 1185 miles or a total of 6000 miles. I changed the oil and rotated the tires. The three presses on the pedal in Auxiliary mode did not reset the maintenance alert. I reset the rotation alert from the infosystem monitor and reset the unknown service alert (which I am assuming is oil change) from there as well. The new scheduled maintenance is 10,000 miles. The Oil Change tab under the maintenance still reads flexible and is not modifiable.

Additionally, I put four complete quarts of oil in the engine and it is slightly overfilled. Don't be like me. (Yes, I changed the filter and removed all the oil within my capability. Pan was even in an advantageous lean since I had the tires off as well and I could use the floor jack to do so.)

Regards,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Additionally, I put four complete quarts of oil in the engine and it is slightly overfilled. Don't be like me. (Yes, I changed the filter and removed all the oil within my capability. Pan was even in an advantageous lean since I had the tires off as well and I could use the floor jack to do so.)
Jeff, thanks for this. I altered my oil specs to read:
Oil Capacity:*although the manual states 4.0 qt.*(3.8 liter) with dry filter, 3 ¾ qt. is advised to prevent overfill and add as necessary after engine has run for a few moments (and then turned back off)
Also, regarding your statement:
The three presses on the pedal in Auxiliary mode did not reset the maintenance alert.
the ignition is supposed to be in ON mode as Jim stated, not AUX mode.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ameridan,

I attempted the three presses on the accelerator multiple times in both the on and auxiliary mode with no clearing of the maintenance alert.

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ameridan,

I attempted the three presses on the accelerator multiple times in both the on and auxiliary mode with no clearing of the maintenance alert.

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Jeff
It will work - you must be missing something. I've done it when the dealer tech forgot to reset.

Reactions: malabarmcgyver

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kpoling,

I reset both alerts from the infosystem, but I did attempt the accelerator pedal first. I very well could have been missing something, but the end goal is completed.

Reactions: kpoling

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you! That worked for me. I know when my service is due but annoying to see this spanner light on all the time. Has one thinking there is something wrong.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I panicked when I first saw the wrench light...I was in the middle of a road trip when it happened. What was more confusing was when an OBDII scanner on loan from an auto parts store showed nothing.

(I eventually found out what it meant by looking online, but aggravated to find nothing in the manual referencing the light)

Thank you! That worked for me. I know when my service is due but annoying to see this spanner light on all the time. Has one thinking there is something wrong.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I noticed that you have the "Scheduled Maintenance" and "Tire Rotation" warnings turned off?
I looked on my screen today and I see that tire rotation is off and can't see any way to reset the oil change reminder which says flexible. I assume with tire rotation set to off it won't turn on the light and I'd like to disable the oil also along with the scheduled maint. light. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought it was "Push the pedal to the floor 10 times?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It will work - you must be missing something. I've done it when the dealer tech forgot to reset.
My dealer spent an hour trying to reset mine. It will not reset. The menus in the home screen don't show anything needing to be done. I can press the accelerator all day long. Ain't nuthin' changing nuthin'. Alas. Dealer upgraded my firmware. Still no dice. But, well, whatever! I've had the light on for 4 months now - what's another 4 years (or 8 or 10 or whatever)?

Oh, and my seat cushions are crushed and FIAT won't work with my dealer on that one, either.

I'm reasonably sure that even the silly light qualifies this as a lemon law problem although I admit that i'd have to file a little paperwork in order to see that through. And I'd have to prove that the little light diminishes the value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine told me that it was due an oil change but it's set at 9000 miles not flexible. To switch the spanner on the dash off just press the start button to turn everything on (but don't start the engine) then press the throttle pedal to the floor three times.
Worked like a charm! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,360 Posts
I would prefer if Fiat took some processes from Suzuki/GM on the reset of some things. With Fiat its 3 presses to reset maintenance, 5 to reset throttle position, and I think there is another out there but that may be the 500 resets that are almost the same.

On the 08 XL7(Equinox/Vue/Acadia) SUV I had, you pressed an oil button first then pressed the pedal up to 10 times in 10 seconds, sometimes you had to do it more than one cycle to clear the light. It randomized the presses for certain resets to confirm you really wanted to reset and to set them apart from others. Same with TPS, you pressed the button first then the pedal a few times until the horn blipped and went into learn mode, lower pressure in each tire until the horn blips again going clockwise from left front. It had stem specific TPS and had to be relearned every rotation.

If you press 5 times does it reset the Maintenance light along with the Throttle Position reset or does it count exactly and not more than? I turned the maintenance reminders off as soon as I got it home so I don't know much about it. Now I'm gonna find another rabbit hole!

Reactions: CDPond
1 - 20 of 20 Posts