Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time my wife rides with me, the tight/narrow bucket seat adversely affects her hip joints causing pain and the need for a chiropractic adjustment. This means I drive alone, which is not always what I'd like to do. The problem seems to be that the seat isn't wide enough so the firm sides of the bucket pushes her hip joints out of alignment. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas for a solution? The only though I've had is to fill the bucket with some sort of cushion so that the entire seat is "flat". Before I make some custom insert, has anyone seen anything on the market that would do that? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
279 Posts
Every time my wife rides with me, the tight/narrow bucket seat adversely affects her hip joints causing pain and the need for a chiropractic adjustment. This means I drive alone, which is not always what I'd like to do. The problem seems to be that the seat isn't wide enough so the firm sides of the bucket pushes her hip joints out of alignment. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas for a solution? The only though I've had is to fill the bucket with some sort of cushion so that the entire seat is "flat". Before I make some custom insert, has anyone seen anything on the market that would do that? Thanks.
You need to tell the members exactly which car and which seats you have before they can help you. The seats are different.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
268 Posts
My gf has the same complaint. I find it strange because she is pretty thin, and I'm not, yet have no problems with the seats. Something about female hip shape doesn't agree with the Fiat seat shape.

·
Registered
996 Posts
@Admiral has a 2019 red Lusso if I'm not mistaken?

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
44 Posts
My friend had looked at a Lusso before buying an Abarth. He had driven my Abarth with the option Sport seats prior, and commented his dislike for the Lusso seats being too narrow. My suggestion would be to take your car and your wife to an upholster shop for a seat adjustment. If it's just the bottom cushion, I can't imagine the cost being too much.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
279 Posts
Correct. Straight stock.
I don't know how to fix the Lusso seats for your girlfriend, but I can confirm for you that when I test drove the Lusso as part of my pre-purchase research, my notes say I disliked the seats. I ended up with an Abarth with the optional Abarth leather sport seats and those are perfectly comfortable for me.

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
91 Posts
You could get some high density upholstery foam, cut to shape to bridge the gaps between the seat bolsters, thus making it a flat surface. Then wrap in a vinyl, leatherette or suede material.

This option would raise the seating height somewhat, however.

If you're going to go down this route and aren't that familiar with the different types of firmness available for upholstery foams - the blue coloured foam could be a good place to start! Hope this helps.

On a side note, I am contemplating doing similar, but with lower lumbar support - my seats give me back pain after 2-3 hours driving without lumbar support.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
On a side note, I am contemplating doing similar, but with lower lumbar support - my seats give me back pain after 2-3 hours driving without lumbar support.
If you're looking for lumbar support, this might be a possible solution.... assuming you can find a UK seller, or if they're listed on the UK Amazon site. Here's the version I found on both the Canadian and US sites:
Lumbar Support Pillow, Aukee Leather Memory Foam Lower Back Cushion for Home Office Chair Car Seat - Black (1 Pack) : Amazon.ca: Automotive

Now I'll be honest and say the reason I went with these ones is because a) they're leather, and b) they had red stitching.... so they matched my Recaro seats. But if you have long legs they may push your knees too far forward. The issue I see with them now is that they've doubled their price since a year ago when I purchased mine. But if you search for lumbar support you'll find lots of options if you choose to go with a add-on piece. Alternately, my seat interior (the upper part at least) can be relatively easily accessed, so a person could also add a piece of internal shaped upholstery foam as well. The downside is that it wouldn't be adjustable, but then again, neither are the strap on type like I provided the link to. I fully understand where you're coming from though, because on longer drives, it can be really painful if you don't have proper spinal support.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Alternately, my seat interior (the upper part at least) can be relatively easily accessed, so a person could also add a piece of internal shaped upholstery foam as well. The downside is that it wouldn't be adjustable, but then again, neither are the strap on type like I provided the link to. I fully understand where you're coming from though, because on longer drives, it can be really painful if you don't have proper spinal support.
I'm really tempted to get a bit of foam in the lower portion of the seat for lumbar support. You mention the upper part can be relatively easily accessed, and if I remember correctly, there are zippers at the bottom of the seat to the rear - do we think it's just a case of unzipping, and manoeuvring some appropriately shaped foam in to place? Apologies for thread hijack @Admiral.

·
Registered
996 Posts
... if I remember correctly, there are zippers at the bottom of the seat to the rear - do we think it's just a case of unzipping, and manoeuvring some appropriately shaped foam in to place?
I think you're going to find out for us? 😉

• Haha
Reactions: CDPond and Magoffin

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
I'll add it to the list of jobs to do this weekend. ;)
Take photos, and post them in a new thread detailing what you've done with the seats... please.

It's always good to share what you discover so the next poor sod that needs to do the same thing has a bit easier path forward.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Take photos, and post them in a new thread detailing what you've done with the seats... please.

It's always good to share what you discover so the next poor sod that needs to do the same thing has a bit easier path forward.
I'll try my best, but upholstery isn't particularly my strong suit. 😅

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could get some high density upholstery foam, cut to shape to bridge the gaps between the seat bolsters, thus making it a flat surface. Then wrap in a vinyl, leatherette or suede material.

This option would raise the seating height somewhat, however.

If you're going to go down this route and aren't that familiar with the different types of firmness available for upholstery foams - the blue coloured foam could be a good place to start! Hope this helps.

Thanks. Excellent advice. She's on the short side so raising the seat height will not be a problem.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You probably already tried, but does reclining the back help take the pressure off her hips?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She's tried every adjustment and some cushions... same difficulty and getting to the point that she won't get in because it takes weeks for the discomfort to go away. I bought the Fiat 124 to replace a classic 1966 Austin Healy -- which I really miss -- with something smoother, more modern (heat and A/C and quick top) and more comfortable so we could take long top-down rides. Oh, well...

·
Registered
101 Posts
She's tried every adjustment and some cushions... same difficulty and getting to the point that she won't get in because it takes weeks for the discomfort to go away. I bought the Fiat 124 to replace a classic 1966 Austin Healy -- which I really miss -- with something smoother, more modern (heat and A/C and quick top) and more comfortable so we could take long top-down rides. Oh, well...
I was thinking that adding height to the seat could cause the seat belt and airbag to not be positioned correctly in the event of a crash, but compared to a 1966 Austin Healy it would probably still be 10x safer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts