Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manual Abarth, which was ordered on Sep. 14, 2016, is on a ship heading to the US now and with any luck I will have it in the near future. I got a pretty good deal and will not pay sales tax here in Florida since I traded in a Corvette but I still monitor what dealers in my area have (within 200 miles), just in case something goes wrong with my deal. However, there are now only 5 manual Abarths available, and the dealers that have them are not offering much of a discount. Surprisingly, none are Red and most are Aluminum with a White and Black next. Are people seeing the same in other areas?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I had to buy in a hurry (before Mrs W changed her mind) - had a choice of two manuals available in the entire Denver metro area - a white Lusso or black Abarth and white is a vetoed color in the Wooley household so it was really a choice of one. Luckily, I liked it.

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
I spotted five Abarths in the 124 herd while at my dealer this week. One was still being cleaned, so I wonder if a delivery had been made. At least three were MT6.
Location is Nyle Maxwell Alfa Fiat in Austin, TX.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
I spotted five Abarths in the 124 herd while at my dealer this week. One was still being cleaned, so I wonder if a delivery had been made. At least three were MT6.
Location is Nyle Maxwell Alfa Fiat in Austin, TX.
Best regards
Pete
It seems like Texas is getting the manuals. We are flying into Houston to pick one up this week. The only manuals here in Michigan are Classicas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I couldn't find one on the east coast (north) in Feb when I was looking, had to go all the way to Atlanta to find what I was looking for, Aluminum, 6MT Recarros.

Another friend had the same issue about a month later, she ended up getting one from Florida, Aluminum, 6MT luxury.

Gotta search all around I guess.

So glad I did though, LOVE it!!!!!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I took a ride in Burlington,VT 2 months ago, and happened to drive in a Alfa and Fiat dealer.

To make it short, the guy was desperatly looking for MT Red Abarth, he had a couple of customers ready to buy bot NADA in the North East coast.

I think Fiat will be left with too many 2017 Auto trans. My gut feeling is that Miata sells more Auto Trans than MT.

Is there a way too know how many of each got sold, I know I could see how many Miata and 124spider were sold for a particular month, but with which transmission. Curious to know. tia

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I took a ride in Burlington,VT 2 months ago, and happened to drive in a Alfa and Fiat dealer.

To make it short, the guy was desperatly looking for MT Red Abarth, he had a couple of customers ready to buy bot NADA in the North East coast.

I think Fiat will be left with too many 2017 Auto trans. My gut feeling is that Miata sells more Auto Trans than MT.

Is there a way too know how many of each got sold, I know I could see how many Miata and 124spider were sold for a particular month, but with which transmission. Curious to know. tia
Interesting. Miatas (MX5s) sell about 60:40 Man:Auto here in Aus although Mazda think that that will reverse with the RF. Honestly, the MX5's manual gearshift and clutch are the sweetest currently available in the automotive world (and even nicer than the 124's setup). I still cannot fathom why you'd buy an auto MX5. I could probably concede that the auto would work with the 124's engine....but even then.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I still cannot fathom why you'd buy an auto MX5. I could probably concede that the auto would work with the 124's engine....but even then.....
I still can't understand why anyone would buy an automatic roadster at all. Unless you only had an auto licence, or you had a medical condition that prevented you driving a manual. These cars are meant to be driven. This may involve gear changes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
During my searches of the Bay Area, most of the cars on the lots were automatics. Very few cars were red. I'm assuming that people who bought the Spiders preferred the manuals, hence only there are few manual transmissions on the lot and all that's left are the automatics.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I still can't understand why anyone would buy an automatic roadster at all. Unless you only had an auto licence, or you had a medical condition that prevented you driving a manual. These cars are meant to be driven. This may involve gear changes.
In the US, the manual gearbox is nigh-on extinct. We're probably into the second generation of drivers the majority of whom have never driven 'stick'. Somebody, only half jokingly, pointed out a manual transmission is just about the best anti-theft device you can have on a car here.

My guess is that Fiat's marketing suggested the demographics buying the 124 would be older than those buying MX-5 and - as a result - would be more in to cruising than driving like we stole them and thus go for auto's.

They got the demographics right as far as I can tell, but then forgot the 40+ crowd are the folks that know how to drive stick...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FCA Customer Service just gave me an update: expected arrival between Aug.15-31 (ordered Sep.15, 2016). They said that they have been receiving a lot of requests for where to buy a manual and they tell people to talk to their local dealer or use the inventory search on the Fiat web site, which still shows just 5 manual Abarth models within 200 miles. I got an injection in my knee this morning and my doctor said he is looking for one as well but like me he wants a Red one, which seem very scarce. I suspect that just a couple more ships of 2017s will arrive in the US before MY 2018s start arriving later in the year...maybe they will learn that the demand for manuals far exceeds the demand for autos.

·
Registered
616 Posts

My Studio, Fiat of Portland (Maine) sold every 124 that they had in stock during the first hot week we had at the end of June. Of the 6 cars they had, 4 were autos. (1 was an Abarth) The car that I ordered is the last 124 my studio is expecting to get this year. My car and Bob Z's car are making the trip together. We are hoping to see the cars at the end of next week or the week after.

I guess during nice weather, top down driving can be pretty enticing, enticing enough for people to take what they can get. Had I known it would take 10 or 11 months to get an ordered car... I may have done the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I have some patience...but not that much. My local dealer had no idea when they would get ANY spider in (only one dealer on the islands) let alone a Abarth. So I took matters into my own hands and searched on line. Fiat Usa website and found what I wanted in San Diego. Did everything over the phone...shipped it to me over the big pond and waited a total of less than 24 days. Of course out of pocket more due to the shipping cost. But I got what I wanted with all of the options. Sorry you have to wait so long.

My Abarth info ~ [url]http://www.124spider.org/forum/6-owner-check-area-new-member-introductions/15257-aloha.html[/URL]

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wasn't fussy on color, though the tri-white & heritage stripe were out due to the added expense. Dealer located a manual Abarth and had it shipped over. It was Nero Cinema Black with the Safety & Security Package (I couldn't find a base Abarth that was close). Took delivery of it on the 12th of May and loved driving it ever since.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
FCA Customer Service just gave me an update: expected arrival between Aug.15-31 (ordered Sep.15, 2016). They said that they have been receiving a lot of requests for where to buy a manual and they tell people to talk to their local dealer or use the inventory search on the Fiat web site, which still shows just 5 manual Abarth models within 200 miles. I got an injection in my knee this morning and my doctor said he is looking for one as well but like me he wants a Red one, which seem very scarce. I suspect that just a couple more ships of 2017s will arrive in the US before MY 2018s start arriving later in the year...maybe they will learn that the demand for manuals far exceeds the demand for autos.
Bob, you've been waiting a long time. I'm really looking forward to seeing you get one.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob, you've been waiting a long time. I'm really looking forward to seeing you get one.
I always have a motorcycle around and just bought a Fat Boy Lo a couple weeks ago but I am sure looking forward to shifting a 4 wheeler again! After Steve told me that his dealer said his car's status changed I asked my dealer and he told me my 124 is expected between 7/22 and 7/28, right about the time Steve's car arrives. Yeah, we've been waiting awhile, and I could have bought one from a few thousand miles away but I am dealing with a local dealer, got a good deal and am getting exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
As far as I know, from what the dealer told me, I would be the only one with a manual 124 Abarth in Quebec!

I wanted a dark gray one (to match the wheels) but after he told me he had a red one in stock and that it was the only manual they had I took it.

The dealer (Des Sources in DDO) showed me his inventory sheets and there are only 5 Abarths in Quebec according to it. Four are automatic + my manual.

It's only got the safety and security package which is exactly what I wanted due to the dimming mirrors (a must, no idea how those are still not mandatory on all new cars.)

The way I see manual transmission becoming extinct only makes the car harder to steal - kids don't know how to drive it: They won't steal it. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
My car landed at the Studio last night! 10 months and 1 day after I ordered it.... My "theoretical" 124 Abarth is finally becoming a reality. I pick it up at 9 tomorrow morning.

Bob Z, I hope your studio gets your car soon.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would alway pick a stick but talk about lucky, my wife would as well. When our two boys got their first car we had one stipulation: It was a manual transmission. The license examiner commented when the youngest took his driving test that it was only the second time she's given the exam in a manual transmission car. Our son said "and it my older brother".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts