Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I have an opportunity to purchase a second hand engine from a manual gearbox Abarth at a reasonable price.
My intention is to turn it into a fire breathing monster, then swap.
I own an Auto.
Will it fit please?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,522 Posts
Yes, you just have to transfer over the rear plate that bolts to the trans bell housing. The manual has a 2 piece thin flywheel cover.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,238 Posts
Later edit....just a motor from manual car into auto trans car. Hmm, don't know what complications you would find there, but I would assume it is not as simple as you might think.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Reading the OP, I think he is only intending to build up an engine from a manual car and then fit into his existing autobox car - I would imagine there is virtually no difference in the engine itself?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The only difference is the auto trans bell housing plate that bolts to the rear of the block. On a manual transmission it is 2 thin plates that cover the flywheel/clutch that bolt on there.

I just put a donor engine from an auto into my manual Abarth. I promise you that it can be done.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not an expert but your 124 automatic transmissions has a different final drive ratio. how that affects the shift points, the ECU, any torque sensing calibration, I don't know, but I would be amazed if you could do this easily without significant tuning.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The ECU stays with the car, the engines are the same. There is nothing to change other than the back plate and flywheel.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The ECU stays with the car, the engines are the same. There is nothing to change other than the back plate and flywheel.
True But if it was that simple it would violate every known Italian automotive modification law in the universe. I beseech a higher authority. The Pope!

• Haha
Reactions: SteveP.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thanks for posting. I added a note to my Engine Specs:
Engine exchange note (thanks Calehedron): an engine mated to an automatic has a bell housing plate, vs. a 2-piece thin cover assembly and flywheel/clutch, when mated to a manual.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for posting. I added a note to my Engine Specs:
Engine exchange note (thanks Calehedron): an engine mated to an automatic has a bell housing plate, vs. a 2-piece thin cover assembly and flywheel/clutch, when mated to a manual.
You are the Pope sir. Calehedron is your Cardinal.

Reactions: HCKLV

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi all.
I have an opportunity to purchase a second hand engine from a manual gearbox Abarth at a reasonable price.
My intention is to turn it into a fire breathing monster, then swap.
I own an Auto.
Will it fit please?
Retired from RR. In the jet engine design world we had ICDs. Interface Control Documents. It's easier to say to just evaluate each and every point where the new motor will interface with the desired configuration than to know what and where those interfaces are: mechanical bolt up points, motor mounts, exhaust, all accessories interference possibilities, all electrical inputs/outputs, and many more I can't imagine. It's only a suggestion but if you got the motor, why not look for a manual spider sans engine and that way you can preserve the one (for driving pleasure) while you go ape on a new build?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts