Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking to purchase a car ASAP. I am keen on a 67 plate however apart from a few blemishes there is a mark/ glazing on the top left hand corner of the info screen. See attached photo , is this something i should be concerned about. The dealer says he has seen it before on other cars. Any information would be great. Thanks
Vehicle Car Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Car Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hi looking to purchase a car ASAP. I am keen on a 67 plate however apart from a few blemishes there is a mark/ glazing on the top left hand corner of the info screen. See attached photo , is this something i should be concerned about. The dealer says he has seen it before on other cars. Any information would be great. Thanks View attachment 95029 View attachment 95029
This is a know issue across the Mazda range (same Infotainment screen as the 124) and covered under warranty. Unfortunately the UK Spiders are now out of manufacturers warranty. It will not get better and may likely get worse. Ask the dealer to replace it as a condition of you purchasing the car (at no cost to you). If not, walk away.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The search feature here on the forum will become your best friend. It's delamination, and you'll find several threads discussing it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
This is a know issue across the Mazda range (same Infotainment screen as the 124) and covered under warranty. Unfortunately the UK Spiders are now out of manufacturers warranty. It will not get better and may likely get worse. Ask the dealer to replace it as a condition of you purchasing the car (at no cost to you). If not, walk away.
I remember reading more than a few members here having this issue, but what I'm wondering is if anyone has determined what actually causes it. Thank God, mine isn't doing this (yet), though by just saying that I've likely jinxed myself. I'm speculating it's initiated by significant temperature changes due to vehicles being parked in the sun. But again, that's rampant speculation on my part. It would be good to know what steps could be taken to prevent it from occurring.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anti-glare coating possibly. Could maybe be prevented if you use screen wipes regularly to remove oil and grease. Your fingers basically when not squeaky clean can leave oils on the screen which breaks down the anti-glare coating. I'm guessing the anti-glare coating is not applied correctly from the factory making this problem repeat across all the vehicles which use this screen.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Anti-glare coating possibly. Could maybe be prevented if you use screen wipes regularly to remove oil and grease. Your fingers basically when not squeaky clean can leave oils on the screen which breaks down the anti-glare coating. I'm guessing the anti-glare coating is not applied correctly from the factory making this problem repeat across all the vehicles which use this screen.
It's not a coating. It's a physical additional layer of material, and what is shown in your photo is a layer delamination beginning to happen. It will neither stop nor improve, so if you're planning to buy the vehicle, ensure the dealer replaces the unit as part of your purchase arrangement.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bit of research on the Mazda forums and there is a Mazda bulletin calling for head unit replacement under warranty for "spider cracking". The delamination is between the larger plastic touchscreen and smaller glass internal screen because of heat. The unit being sealed generates heat with no way for the heat to escape, then external hot temperatures, i.e. sunlight make it worse melting the silicon adhesive between the screens. There are new touchscreens available on ebay and other places and apparently the repair is not too difficult if you are prepared to give it a go yourself. There are 2 repair paths, one which will give you a new functional touchscreen, the other which will get rid of the problem but the touchscreen won't work after. Alternative a scrapyard sourced unit is another alternative. Mazda forums are full of posts about this and how it is repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi looking to purchase a car ASAP. I am keen on a 67 plate however apart from a few blemishes there is a mark/ glazing on the top left hand corner of the info screen. See attached photo , is this something i should be concerned about. The dealer says he has seen it before on other cars. Any information would be great. Thanks View attachment 95029 View attachment 95029
Dealer: 'This is a Spider. That is a spiderweb'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts