Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question which has been to some extent discussed before - my battery warning light came on although the car started without issue. I had it checked out at a local Auto parts store - battery at 94%, alternator good, starter good. NO issues with engine check. I'm thinking it is a sensor issue. Any ideas? And of course yesterday was the last day the car was under manufacturer's warranty; MJ has less than 22K miles on her.

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
2,237 Posts
Check all your powers and grounds for corrosion. Check the wiring to the alternator, use a DVOM from the chassis ground to the power on both the alternator and the battery. If all checks good and you don’t get any voltage variances, I would take it to the dealer. Might be a problem in the BCM or whatever throws the light on. Not sure if the battery sensor has anything to do with it but I would check that too.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check all your powers and grounds for corrosion. Check the wiring to the alternator, use a DVOM from the chassis ground to the power on both the alternator and the battery. If all checks good and you don’t get any voltage variances, I would take it to the dealer. Might be a problem in the BCM or whatever throws the light on. Not sure if the battery sensor has anything to do with it but I would check that too.
Awesome. So off to the dealer, then. I assume it is safe to drive her... she still runs like a top; my white beauty, 6 speed MJ.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I don’t foresee any issues coming up if you have been driving her thus far.
So, I took it to my local shop and lo and behold, the censor connecting "wire" had been chewed through probably by squirrels and the (sorry I don't know what they are called) screw on tops of the battery had been chewed through, one fully open. Rather than replace the battery which is working fine, the crew there is going to 3-D print a "cap" and buy a new connecting "pin" for the sensor. Now, my MJ is going in the garage all the time when I am not driving her.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive exterior

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
2,237 Posts
So, I took it to my local shop and lo and behold, the censor connecting "wire" had been chewed through probably by squirrels and the (sorry I don't know what they are called) screw on tops of the battery had been chewed through, one fully open. Rather than replace the battery which is working fine, the crew there is going to 3-D print a "cap" and buy a new connecting "pin" for the sensor. Now, my MJ is going in the garage all the time when I am not driving her. View attachment 96842 View attachment 96842
Fantastic! Having a competent and honest shop is truly priceless. As far as the rodent issue I still recommend some sort of deterrent, like one of those sonic ones. Glad it was all properly sorted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts