Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on putting the heritage stripe on my Grigio Argento Aluminum Abarth. The question is whether it should be matte black or satin black. I am leaning toward the satin against the metallic silver of the car, and I think satin matches better with the side mirror and windshield wrap carbon gray (or whatever it is called). But I would be interested in the experiences of others who have put the heritage stripe on, especially on the aluminum body.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Satin :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wrapping the car completely in matte or satin red would look good.

But in regards to OP, do the Satin... much difference, and Satin looks much nicer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
From the color samples, I choose matt on mine because it was a much closer match than satin for the Euro Abarth. My wrapper shop used Avery Dennison material, if you use 3M it might be different.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have a Grigio Argento Aluminum Abarth as well. If we decide to do the wrap it will be with satin. I have the hood of my Challenger wrapped in matte and if I do it again I'll go with satin. Matte is more of a pain to maintain.

·
Registered
727 Posts
From the color samples, I choose matt on mine because it was a much closer match than satin for the Euro Abarth. My wrapper shop used Avery Dennison material, if you use 3M it might be different.
Ditto. I wanted mine to look like the Euro Abarth as well. I love the look. BTW, original 124 Abarth race cars from the 70's did matte to reduce sun glare on the driver.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Ditto. I wanted mine to look like the Euro Abarth as well. I love the look. BTW, original 124 Abarth race cars from the 70's did matte to reduce sun glare on the driver.
Yep....that was the whole point.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Bought material for mine but have not done it yet. I bought 3M satin for my silver Abarth. I think it looks better and is easier to maintain with sealants and detailing spray that can overspray onto your paint.

The final thing that did push me over the edge was a video on You Tube that showed two Hummers, one wrapped in matte and the other satin. The satin just looking finished, more expensive, brought out the lines and contours much better, etc. I want my hood not to loose the cool hood detail in camouflage matte that just hides all form.

I guess also when I see matte wraps and especially black, the cars rarely look clean.

My 2 cents. Obviously even though I bought it I haven't done it, I really love the silver paint more than I thought I would. We will see, I can always pull it off. Daughter says yes, wife says no ;)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'd check the samples. The wrap shop I used had a variety. The 3M satin looked to be a bit shiny, and the matte looks a bit more like satin. I guess in the eye of the beholder, as I was thinking of satin, also, but went with matte.

As far as cleaning, it's not too bad, but does require extra care. I tried a few cleaners on a 'spare' piece of wrap I had. Anything with wax tended to leave it blotchy (turtle wax and meguiars spray on detailers). Window cleaner overspray, and rain-x didn't seem to phase it. I do use a vinyl wrap cleaner on the matte which does require a clean down with plain water to make it spot free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts