Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought obd2 Bluetooth tool and download dashcommand. I check several times and different days 4th gear 2000RPM till 6000RPM. The result is max boost 24.1 psi. According car spec max. boost must be 22psi. I am living at 3600 feet altitude. What is wrong? Reason is altitude or something different. My mods are EC phase 1, DV+, EC V4 and GWR muffler.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Hi Murat, I think it's normal that your boost is higher than 22 due to the EC phase 1 which creates more boost at higher RPM contrary to the EDL where it generates more boost at higher RPM but will not show on the OBD2 due to the way the EDL is connected.

Or did you pour some of that famous Scotch in the tank.>:)

Reactions: Not Sure

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Murat, I think it's normal that your boost is higher than 22 due to the EC phase 1 which creates more boost at higher RPM contrary to the EDL where it generates more boost at higher RPM but will not show on the OBD2 due to the way the EDL is connected.

Or did you pour some of that famous Scotch in the tank.
I already contacted with Greg and he told me wrong reading. I think it is too high for Phase 1. I try to find reason why I have high value.

If I add some Scotch, reading must be more than 100 psi :)

·
Vendor
3,656 Posts
No. What I said was that normally we don't see anything higher than 22 through the OBD 2 port. However, it's possible that the latest versions of Dash command can read higher, I don't know. That said, 24psi is about the peak boost for Phase 1. In other words that's what we see on a boost gauge.

Greg

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Greg what about EDL dynamic + and race +

·
Registered
22 Posts
Greg is right with a real boost gauge I see 24 lbs of boost with Phase 1 tune.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hopefully this isn't dead. What is the max boost that the engine can handle? Anyone know?
Loaded question. With no supporting mods I wouldn't push past 25 PSI. Past that you'd risk getting into deadly knock territory. With some mods that help cool things off (larger FMIC, E85 tune, water/meth injection) you could push into the 30s but I'm not sure I would without forged pistons. Not if you want your engine to last. @Calehedron and @Greg probably know about this engine than anyone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Loaded question. With no supporting mods I wouldn't push past 25 PSI. Past that you'd risk getting into deadly knock territory. With some mods that help cool things off (larger FMIC, E85 tune, water/meth injection) you could push into the 30s but I'm not sure I would without forged pistons. Not if you want your engine to last. @Calehedron and @Greg probably know about this engine than anyone.
Thank you so much for an explanation I don't want to push it more unless I do some mods for sure. I'm came from a huge v8 background, and appreciate all the feedback guys!

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,202 Posts
Depends. It can handle 36PSI stock internals under the right conditions and it can melt down around that point. I have experienced both. I was running Phase 4 26PSI for ~242WHP with the water injection going. It got to 223WHP with 23PSI of boost.

The original point of this post was about how the OBD port can only show a max of 22.4PSI or close to that no matter what the actual boost is above that. The plug and play gauges can show to 30PSI, and actual boost line gauges can read whatever they are set for max. But for logging from OBD, 22.4 is the max. Reason being, an FF or 256-bit register and it starts from vacuum of ~ -14PSI to record absolute manifold pressure and then does the math to show Boost above 0.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sae sustained 24psi in very hot weather today. Seemed to hold up ok. Wouldn't want more than that with stock intercooler and 99 ron fuel!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty crazy numbers for sure! Glad to hear I'll leave it at 22 to 25 then when I upgrade my intercooler I'll change a bit. Also need a tune would be great!

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
EC Phase 3, stock motor, up to 27 psi in hot weather. Caveat: I’m running 94 octane, car is tuned for 91.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,202 Posts
Pretty crazy numbers for sure! Glad to hear I'll leave it at 22 to 25 then when I upgrade my intercooler I'll change a bit. Also need a tune would be great!
Engine build Video 1

Right about here is where Greg begins talking about the new pistons, a slightly lower compression ratio and effective compression with boost. The chart may come in handy for you.

There are 3 videos on his build if you really want to get into some deep design and the why's. Then take his build and ramp it up an order of magnitude, that's me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts