Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn’t fairly well documented as far as I can tell, however as it turns out, the current Miata/124 cooperation between Fiat and Mazda is nothing new. Several decades ago, an similar exchange was made that was almost completely buried as far as I can tell until 2019 when a lot of new information came to light.

As this is a very intriguing read, I won’t reveal much, however I HIGHLY reccomend you read through. Very interesting stuff. I’d like to know all your thoughts on the following:

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,407 Posts
As brilliant as the ND-Spider collaboration was, it has got to be among the most short-lived in auto history.

·
Registered
343 Posts
More Than A Badge-Engineered.

The Fiat and Mazda was a collaboration we really appreciate because it saw the creation of the MX-5 and the resurrection of the Fiat 124 Spider. These sports cars embody the glory of a sports car and resurrected the image of their respective companies while offering great performances to drivers at an affordable cost.

Abarth 124 Spider 2025 ?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: SteveP.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
This isn’t fairly well documented as far as I can tell, however as it turns out, the current Miata/124 cooperation between Fiat and Mazda is nothing new. Several decades ago, an similar exchange was made that was almost completely buried as far as I can tell until 2019 when a lot of new information came to light.

As this is a very intriguing read, I won’t reveal much, however I HIGHLY reccomend you read through. Very interesting stuff. I’d like to know all your thoughts on the following:

Dual histories?

Reactions: Scorpius

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

The Fiat and Mazda was a collaboration we really appreciate because it saw the creation of the MX-5 and the resurrection of the Fiat 124 Spider. These sports cars embody the glory of a sports car and resurrected the image of their respective companies while offering great performances to drivers at an affordable cost.

Abarth 124 Spider 2025 ?

View attachment 89542
That appeals more "to Me" than the current 124 Abarth, less aggressive, more rounded and provided "They" badged it as "Abarth" in ALL markets, not just hit and miss, oh, and advertised it......then YES, I would be interested, however....with the new ownership / management structure I would expect it to be priced far closer to the "Exotic Sports Car" sector than the "Super Mini" price tag that our 124 Abarth owning Members grabbed their bargains at...
A "Basic Sports Car" 124 Abarth (for me) for Members / Owners to express themselves through package, at a more competitive price would also be welcomed me thinks.........I don't ask for much....Do I ? Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,407 Posts

Abarth 124 Spider 2025 ?

View attachment 89542
If Fiat got serious about fixing its operations in North America, I could see Stellantis approving another go at 124 Spider —again, in collaboration with Mazda. But the N.A. market needs to be an instrumental part of the Spider business plan.

Having said, with Fiat now wanting to be an EV-brand, who really knows...

Reactions: Scorpius

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,386 Posts

Abarth 124 Spider 2025 ?

View attachment 89542
DAMN! I'd love to see this happen! And, as Ron says "affordable"! s

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
620 Posts
Wasn't the first Miata a unibody design?
It was. That part of the tale doesn't check out. Either an error in someone recounting by memory, or whoever made up the story didn't really have enough knowledge to make it up correctly.. I'm placing this up there in the "urban legends" box.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was. That part of the tale doesn't check out. Either an error in someone recounting by memory, or whoever made up the story didn't really have enough knowledge to make it up correctly.. I'm placing this up there in the "urban legends" box.
Would you mind elaborating more on this?
Genuinely curious

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
620 Posts
Would you mind elaborating more on this?
Genuinely curious
The story says the result was a body on frame, which obviously the Miata was not.

The Miata has became the worlds most popular sports car by the number of vehicles made. Front engine, RWD on crude "body on frame".

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The poster quoted is what I call an "aggressive authority". Maybe they didn't know as much as they tried to impress upon others.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
620 Posts
The poster quoted is what I call an "aggressive authority". Maybe they didn't know as much as they tried to impress upon others.
Hard to say as I don't know any of the players involved in that story. It's possible, but that detail sticks out as odd. One could argue that the original Miata wasn't a true unibody since it has a "powerplant frame". However that's not even close to a "crude" body in frame, nor does it bear any relation at all to the b2000 which is a traditional truck frame.

That one detail to me really sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
AH ! Now I know what you guys are talking about..........You confused me (easily done) with all this "Yank" talk about "Unibody", I had visions of a one (centre mass) wheeled car with retractable stabilisers maybe to start you off but now..the penny (like a cent only worth FA) has dropped....You mean, "Monocoque Chassis Construction", Don't you ! Where unlike the body on chassis of old the "Monocoque" design gave a strength and ability to handle better so improving performance. Only set back being....when it came to body off repairs on your early Monocoque prehistoric corrosion treated bodies....you were in it deep, whereas...on your old Triumph Spitfire or Austin Healey Sprite you could disconnect the required gubbins, undo the bolts through body to chassis and provided you were not "Billy No Mates" you and your buddy could lift the body off, onto a trailer, weld until your hearts content, lift back on and bolt up. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
If ever a new 124 spider is built, the price has to be competitive with the MX5 not with BMW, Toyota Supra, Alfa 4C, cause to the eyes of people it's a low end sports car that the common souls can afford. Those who buy a high end sports car, these people don't want to see another car like theirs within miles. So the new 124 spider has to be affordable, like the one we have.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Miro is/was a legitimate player back then, so it’s not like he doesn’t have the connections. There’s a lot of info about him on the internet - albeit some a bit sinister -

·
Registered
482 Posts

Kind of makes you wonder what Bob Hall and Mark Jordan would say about that story.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hard to say as I don't know any of the players involved in that story. It's possible, but that detail sticks out as odd. One could argue that the original Miata wasn't a true unibody since it has a "powerplant frame". However that's not even close to a "crude" body in frame, nor does it bear any relation at all to the b2000 which is a traditional truck frame.

That one detail to me really sticks out like a sore thumb.
I can only surmise that a mocked-up bodyshell was dropped on a modified pickup frame to create a roller for display.
Miro is/was a legitimate player back then, so it’s not like he doesn’t have the connections. There’s a lot of info about him on the internet - albeit some a bit sinister -
Who was he?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.