Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted a similar post under the spider was probably getting a 1.3 T engine. I think as long as Spider is built along the MX5, which is profitable for Fiat, they'll keep there. I think with some publicity, they could sell more. Maybe their hands are tied due to the agreement with Mazda.

Once the agreement is over, the door is opened for a second generation Spider. Only fools don't change their minds'

Full article here.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
According to autoblog.com, the 3rd gen Miata lived for 10 years, so they figured the 124 spider will be built in Japan till the 5th gen Miata comes up that means 6 more years. In 6yrs or so, lots of things could happen.

·
738 Posts
According to autoblog.com, the 3rd gen Miata lived for 10 years, so they figured the 124 spider will be built in Japan till the 5th gen Miata comes up that means 6 more years. In 6yrs or so, lots of things could happen.
A very good observation here. We can only hope this is the case.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys, being 100% Italian, I will give you the Italian perspective on how to negotiate with Mazda re: Next Generation 124 Spider.
Mazda approached Fiat to built 124 spider, both had a win win situation cause they shared the cost otherwise MX5 would be more expensive to built and Fiat would never built the 124 spider and we would not be chating on this boad. LOL

Fiat has been having some exposure problems in North America and UK, so they stopped doing publicity in N.A. thus saving money bottom line is still Black.

124 Spider is still selling not flooding the market like the MX5 but making money due to sharing cost. So Far so Good

Next Generation 124 Spider( you need to read between the lines with the Italians)
Fiat saying it's still profitable but not likely to built a next Gen 124 spider due it's not a full Italian car.(LMAO)

Mazda, would still would like to built the 124 Spider to save costs, so they need to bend and Fiat know that.

If the next 124 Gen is built it will be on the 1.3T so they have an engine to bring the power up on the new Gen car and they will sell it under the Alfa Banner since Alfa has no more spider(4C)

If this happens, they will advertise the 124 spider under the Alfa.

So here again you have a WIN WIN situation for both.

Bottom line is not how you do it, but what it takes to achieve it.

Look at this video it will tell how Italian come to achieve their purpose or bottom line

This is what you call L'ARTE DELLA COMMEDIA.

1983 Audi Quattro vs Lancia 037

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
OK guys, being 100% Italian, I will give you the Italian perspective on how to negotiate with Mazda re: Next Generation 124 Spider.
Mazda approached Fiat to built 124 spider, both had a win win situation cause they shared the cost otherwise MX5 would be more expensive to built and Fiat would never built the 124 spider and we would not be chating on this boad. LOL

Fiat has been having some exposure problems in North America and UK, so they stopped doing publicity in N.A. thus saving money bottom line is still Black.

124 Spider is still selling not flooding the market like the MX5 but making money due to sharing cost. So Far so Good

Next Generation 124 Spider( you need to read between the lines with the Italians)
Fiat saying it's still profitable but not likely to built a next Gen 124 spider due it's not a full Italian car.(LMAO)

Mazda, would still would like to built the 124 Spider to save costs, so they need to bend and Fiat know that.

If the next 124 Gen is built it will be on the 1.3T so they have an engine to bring the power up on the new Gen car and they will sell it under the Alfa Banner since Alfa has no more spider(4C)

If this happens, they will advertise the 124 spider under the Alfa.

So here again you have a WIN WIN situation for both.

Bottom line is not how you do it, but what it takes to achieve it.

Look at this video it will tell how Italian come to achieve their purpose or bottom line

This is what you call L'ARTE DELLA COMMEDIA.

1983 Audi Quattro vs Lancia 037

Thanks Frank! I loved that the first time I saw it and loved it just as much seeing it again.

·
Vendor
3,086 Posts
I have heard for a good source that 2020 will be the last year for the 124 Spider in the U.S. It's sad, but the fact is, they are not selling well.

Greg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Given that the model has long disappeared from new car showrooms in the UK (you might just still be able to find an ex-demo car), I think you guys are dreaming if you really think the model will be upgraded. Fiat have stated they don't see their future model line up including a soft top sports car, while Alfas apparently have to be built in Italy.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mine will be upgraded as needed by EC, no problem!!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Besides EC, we have depodan, phillip33, chainringtatoo? not sure I got you right, lol. Sharkcohen, Kikai, and all the great technical folks here, gorgive me if I left you out. I trust you all far more than FCA:D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
tried to repair my spelling, but this new site has me stumped

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fiat screwed themselves in the US market back in the 80s and they're doing it again. I am baffled by FCA's decision regarding discontinuing the 500 in the US market and focusing on the 500L and 500X.

US 2018 sales figures
Fiat 500x: 5,223
Fiat 500l: 1,413
Fiat 500: 5,370
Fiat 124: 3,515

Which vehicle would you think is the least desirable in the USA? The 500L is a serious joke in the US auto market. The 500 also outsold the 500X, but they're focusing on the 500X and 500L, and considering discontinuing the profitable 124 Spider? Someone needs to be fired. Seriously.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Fiat screwed themselves in the US market back in the 80s and they're doing it again. I am baffled by FCA's decision regarding discontinuing the 500 in the US market and focusing on the 500L and 500X.

US 2018 sales figures
Fiat 500x: 5,223
Fiat 500l: 1,413
Fiat 500: 5,370
Fiat 124: 3,515

Which vehicle would you think is the least desirable in the USA? The 500L is a serious joke in the US auto market. The 500 also outsold the 500X, but they're focusing on the 500X and 500L, and considering discontinuing the profitable 124 Spider? Someone needs to be fired. Seriously.
You don’t know how profitable the Spider is, especially with the whole Mazda aspect.

I get it, US people like suvs and crossovers. The 500 is super dated by now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You don’t know how profitable the Spider is, especially with the whole Mazda aspect.

I get it, US people like suvs and crossovers. The 500 is super dated by now.
No I haven't researched how much profit, but the FIAT CEO stated that it IS a profitable venture. I'm sure more profitable than the handful of 500Ls that have sold in the US market yet they plan on keeping the 500L? Makes no sense.

I do agree with you that the 500 is dated, but what will it be replaced with? A Qubo? Maybe the Doblo? Yea, sure, they'll sell more of those than the 500 or 124...NOT! Talk about vehicles not made for the US market.

Now if they rebadge one or two of the Peugeot SUVs, that would expand the line up of cars. But then again, there is that nasty parts network that has plagued Fiat. Peugeot has no parts network in the US Market at all so it would be a huge capital investment.

Import the Fiat Argo (Brasil) and maybe the Bruto and Lindo. They are at least interesting and might appeal to the SUV crowd. Reliability will be critical for any future success of the brand in the USA. It will be a tough road ahead for sure.

·
Vendor
3,086 Posts
The 500 is outdated, and nearing the end. The 500L sold very well in Europe, but has to be considered a sales failure in the U.S. The 500X is the car that really tells the story. Very few were sold in spite of a huge advertising push when it came out. Yet the Jeep Renegade, which is the same vehicle except for body panels has been a huge success. It's one of the best selling imported cars. That more than anything shows the the Fiat brand name is tarnished beyond repair. It's sad to see, but Fiat as a brand name is done in the US. My information is that 2020 will be the last year for the 124, and very few will be made. There is quite a bit more I would like to share with you guys, but can't just yet.

Greg

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 500 is outdated, and nearing the end. The 500L sold very well in Europe, but has to be considered a sales failure in the U.S. The 500X is the car that really tells the story. Very few were sold in spite of a huge advertising push when it came out. Yet the Jeep Renegade, which is the same vehicle except for body panels has been a huge success. It's one of the best selling imported cars. That more than anything shows the the Fiat brand name is tarnished beyond repair. It's sad to see, but Fiat as a brand name is done in the US. My information is that 2020 will be the last year for the 124, and very few will be made. There is quite a bit more I would like to share with you guys, but can't just yet.

Greg
Yes you are likely correct on the Fiat brand. I just saw an ad for the new Ram utility van - it is Fiat Doblo rebadged. They likely won't sell it under the Fiat badge.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The Fiat brand is done if nothing changes, HOWEVER, if they actually employed a good PR agency and gave out bombastic warranty and reliability claims, it could be saved.

For example;
For all 2020 models, did any of them break down? We will give you $500 cash, or send a limo, or something.

10 year warranty wouldn’t hurt, etc.

they need something big.

·
Registered
93 Posts
FCA just need to create new virtual brand for US, and sell cool imports under its name. There plenty of cool European cars can be sold that way, without naming them Fiat, Peugeot or Citroën. People always really confused with my Abarth, rarely I see people who can recognize its origins, so give it safe cool name and things will go))

·
Registered
65 Posts
fiat has a terrible name here in sweden. rarely see any fiat cars here.
swedes prefer over engineered deprectiating german crap..i have zero interest in buying those type of cars..
i like to be a bit different and looking forward to my new spider purchase

·
Registered
24 Posts

Greg
Is the “more I would like to share with you” good news or bad news?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts