Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
"I bought mine from an Alfa Romeo-Maserati-Fiat dealership and they had the 124 displayed on the showroom floor right next to a Guilia and Granturismo and it looked like it belonged with those two cars. They also treated me like I was buying an Alfa or Maserati."

Same here. It somehow it feels more satisfying and comforting to thread your way past these other brands when buying and taking delivery, also not forgetting the company you keep when it's in for service.

A little bit silly I suppose but that's part of the "customer experience" that can't be measured.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, just go to their web site and you will have an answer . Easy as that . Fiat is the city car manufacturer . This is their segment . Fiat belongs to a group (FCA) including Abarth, alfa Romeo , Chrysler , Jeep that serves to diversify the automotive market . But Fiatbitself... as said go and check their 2020 offer .
True city cars are a tough sell in the US market. Drive through any US city, and people seem to think that a city car is a 4,000 pound, 8 passenger, 4 wheel drive, beast of a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The reason it wasn't an Alfa to begin with is because all Alfas must be made in Italy. So they decided to put the new convertible 2 seater in under Fiat with Mazda's assembly line. So I highly doubt Alfa is going to collaborate with Mazda on a replacement for the 124.
Well, that was certainly the position that Marchionne took, but he's dead and gone, and there's a new sherriff in town (no disprespect intended towards Sergio). With the corporation under new leadership, I don't think the original mandate for all ARs to be manufactured in Italy still stands. Time will tell.

In a way, I'm thankful the Spider ended up being under the Fiat name. The exact same car, had it been badged as an Alfa, would likely have had a pricetag nearly double what it did as a Fiat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
True city cars are a tough sell in the US market. Drive through any US city, and people seem to think that a city car is a 4,000 pound, 8 passenger, 4 wheel drive, beast of a vehicle.
Yes, this is certainly true.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, that was certainly the position that Marchionne took, but he's dead and gone, and there's a new sherriff in town (no disprespect intended towards Sergio). With the corporation under new leadership, I don't think the original mandate for all ARs to be manufactured in Italy still stands. Time will tell.

In a way, I'm thankful the Spider ended up being under the Fiat name. The exact same car, had it been badged as an Alfa, would likely have had a pricetag nearly double what it did as a Fiat.
I do agree with your thoughts, I was more referring to the past. The automotive world is changing very quickly , here in Europe it looks everybody ir running top speed towards electric cars and probably Europe will switch earlier than US market from standard engines to the new silent boring "eco" version. I think that weather AR will be made in Italy or not under the new Company ( FCA + PSA), these cars will be less and less produced becoming a real niche product with the detrimental effect of cost rising. I am just guessing here and I do hope to be proved wromg. I am also very happy Fiat came up with this glorious 70's model that was -together with the AR Duetto- the dream of all young people back in tose years , a dream that was impossible to fullfill for many ( incluing me). Fiat, Lancia , Alfa, have produced wonderful cars in the past, this resurrection was short but very intense.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts