Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an Abarth with the lux package last October and according to the dealer, I should be getting it next month. I have the Abarth fender badges and the red lower facia trim. I am getting ready to order the red mirror caps and I have a couple of questions.

First, are the mirror caps the same for a car with blind spot detection? (I assume they are, but you never know)

Second, are the mirror caps the same on European and North American cars? I ask because it is considerably cheaper to buy the mirror caps in Europe then here in the States, even when you include shipping charges.

Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve!

·
833 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought my front trim including the Tow Bar Cap in red from Auto Ricambi...However, I did not want to get the mirror caps, since they seem like a problem to install, so I had my mirrors wrapped in Red and they look great. The mirror wrap cost $90. Just something to think about instead of getting the caps..

·
Registered
729 Posts
...However, I did not want to get the mirror caps, since they seem like a problem to install, so I had my mirrors wrapped in Red and they look great. The mirror wrap cost $90. Just something to think about instead of getting the caps..
Good thing about wrap is the variety of colors, but there are some tricky curves and such that will pose a challenge to even the most experienced wrap shop. In my case, I was given a set of red mirror covers, and had them painted to match the green and red stripes on the car ($100). Then I took them to the dealer to have them installed ($50). I wasn't going to mess with trying to install them, especially after I paid $100 to get them painted! I figured if the dealer broke anything during the install, that's on them. Good thing they were free, and they do give the "tri colore" effect I was going for on the car, so I suppose it's a wash in the end compared to new red covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Forget the wrap. Get the factory caps and have them installed by a pro. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my front trim including the Tow Bar Cap in red from Auto Ricambi...However, I did not want to get the mirror caps, since they seem like a problem to install, so I had my mirrors wrapped in Red and they look great. The mirror wrap cost $90. Just something to think about instead of getting the caps..
Did the wrap company take the mirror caps off to wrap them, or just wrap what they could get at? If the did pull them off, did they pull them carefully from the inside out?

Cheers

·
Registered
2017/Fiat/124 Spider Abarth
45 Posts
Forget the wrap. Get the factory caps and have them installed by a pro. Keep it simple.
I have seen the red caps on Mopar and Autricambi. I bought the front spoiler piece which says it matches original trim on European cars but says nothing about the red mirror caps. Mopar less expensive and, again, nothing about matching original trim on European cars. I am waiting for a reply to my question to Mopar. (I may try installing myself.)

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
In the early days of Spider ownership, there were several threads here that spoke to how much of an ordeal it was to change the mirror caps, but now we know better. If you have a peek at the video that's provided in post #10 of this thread, you'll see just how sinmple it can be. I think it took me less than five minutes to change mine, and that includes three minutes of hemming and hawing before actually giving it a try. Dead simple. My only suggestion is to wait till a really nice warm day, and that minimizes the risk of damaging any tabs on your existing caps. If the plastic is cold and brittle, you could easily snap one. But otherwise, it's a piece of cake.

I bought them because my prior toy was a 500 Abarth, which was black with red mirror caps. So since I now have a black Spider.... well, you know....

I'm amazed you did manage to find something direct from MOPAR that's less expensive than anywhere else though. This could be a first! lol Ribbing aside, if you bought the red front spoiler trim, also consider sourcing the red tow hook cap to complete the look. It's a fair bit of change for a little piece of plastic bling, so the alternative is to spray paint the cap that came on your car. Ameridan's blog site has paint spec you can check to get a colour match for the red.

Reactions: Jody

·
Registered
2017/Fiat/124 Spider Abarth
45 Posts
If the ambient temperature is low, carefully warm the caps up with a hairdryer on medium heat setting prior to removal/refitting.
It is bitter cold this winter so I am patiently waiting for a warm day to do lip and mirror caps! Car sitting out the winter in my unheated garage but I start her up every 30 days so she is ready to go once the snow has cleared.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
It is bitter cold this winter so I am patiently waiting for a warm day to do lip and mirror caps! Car sitting out the winter in my unheated garage but I start her up every 30 days so she is ready to go once the snow has cleared.
Wise decision. Yes, wait till you have a warm sunny day to get that plastic warmed up and more pliable. If a person attempted (and I know you're not going to do this) to pop them off when they're really cold (like in winter), you're guaranteed to end up breaking off some mounting tabs.

·
Registered
Forte Black Metallic 2019 MT Abarth, Nero Rosso Interior, EC Ph2, V4, E&H Springs, GWR Sway Bars
138 Posts
Has anyone just tried this? Makes it look ridiculously easy lol.

YES! I’ve performed this removal process numerous times without incident. Completely eliminates any possibility of shattering the mirror via the squirrel about inside the cap method.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts