Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Missing chassis plugs

13K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  TRDutch 
#1 ·
Picked up my Classisco 2 weeks ago. I read some posts here about the plugs a while ago, but could not check mine due to a bad knee. Finally got under yesterday, and mine are missing. There was info about tire pressures..mine were 50lbs...photos of plug locations and a link to FCA dealer prep. Could someone redirect me to that post? Is there a way to search this forum that is not obvious to me?

#11 ·
The thread has a pre-delivery list but based on at least one response of the service department not knowing about them has me wondering what they do. There seems to be a sheet of paper that goes with the plugs but I have not seen any english writing on it with info.

Having a hole in your chassis rails where water can accumulate and rust them out is probably not good.
I see, so the plugs are to keep water out from rain, puddles and for northern people, snow?

I have wondered in the same vein, with the top down, where does the water go if it is allowed to go between the rag top opening?

#17 ·
My local dealer has no idea what these are and can't order them so I've been onto FCA customer services. They also have no idea what they are or how to get them...
I have found out from the Mazda owners that the Mazda Part number is FD01-56-051 and have let customer services know this, along with pictures of where the plugs go and what the plugs look like - there is a picture of the bag on the Miata forum: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=635989

#18 ·
I have reservations as to whether or not the chassis plugs are a good idea. True their absence would facilitate standing water access into the chassis section. Presumably it would also again drain out should the plugs not be fitted. If the plugs are fitted what would happen to condensation forming within the chassis sections, how would it drain away? I'm aware that soft top roof drainage systems require frequent maintenance. When not properly maintained it's common for the water drained from the soft top to accumulate in the chassis sections. If the plugs are not fitted would such water not drain away?

Unfortunately I dont have enough knowledge to dismiss my reservations. Consequently, would welcome the thoughts or others that do.

#21 · (Edited)
Mine were never installed - by the dealer or me.

It's going in for the first service (5k miles) on Monday. I'll talk to them about putting them in. Or not.

May just be another useless piece of plastic (or rubber as the case may be) on this car. Like the Wind Restrictor

#23 ·
Oh, I have them, I just never put them in. I'll let the dealer do it while it's on the lift. Perhaps.

#24 ·
BOB Z,

Can you get info from your FL dealer about part numbers? Mine, in Canada, does not have a parts listing for the plugs. I taped the openings and in the process noticed there is a bare area around the holes that does not have undercoating. Another mystery. Next day out I got caught in a rain storm. Since FCA is giving warranty re. rust, you would think they would get on this omission before the snow flies and salt is on the roads.

#25 ·
BOB Z,

Can you get info from your FL dealer about part numbers? Mine, in Canada, does not have a parts listing for the plugs. I taped the openings and in the process noticed there is a bare area around the holes that does not have undercoating. Another mystery. Next day out I got caught in a rain storm. Since FCA is giving warranty re. rust, you would think they would get on this omission before the snow flies and salt is on the roads.

I am waiting to hear back from my salesman, who is trying to find out...stay tuned.

#33 ·
Mine have finally arrived, that part number (6000614309) is definitely the right one. They install in about 20 seconds, it takes longer to find the hole and open the bag.
Apologies for the blurry photo, the sun was reflecting off the phone screen so I couldn't see what I was doing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.