Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

First post here - had my Abarth for about a month now and the permanent grin is actually starting to get sore :)

I'm originally from the UK, but have been in the US for the last 12 years. In the UK, if you make any kind of modifications to a car, you need to declare it to your insurance company or you invalidate the policy. In most cases, any kind of modification is going to be used as an excuse to bump up the premium - pretty significantly in some cases.

I've never modified a car in the US, but am thinking about a few tweaks to my 124. How does that work in the US - do the auto insurance carriers here require you to declare the modifications and do you see the same sharp rises in premiums? A quick Google showed a few threads about keeping receipts so you can claim the cost of modification in the event of a loss, but that was all.

Whilst it goes without saying I'll check my policies etc, I would love to hear other's experiences.

Thanks,
Wooley.

·
Administrator
1,950 Posts
In the US, I don't think it will invalidate your policy, but you won't get paid for the value of those modifications in the event of a warranty claim. A friend of mine had done ~$4,000 worth of work, including a new turbo, forged pistons, valve springs, etc. to one of his cars and got into a wreck. Insurance only paid him the value of the vehicle as if it was stock. They're trying to buy it back at auction to get the engine out of it.

If you do declare the mods, you will see an increase in premiums, but then the mods will also be covered in the event of a wreck. Few people actually take advantage of it out here.

This of course only applies to situations where the vehicle is totaled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the US, I don't think it will invalidate your policy, but you won't get paid for the value of those modifications in the event of a warranty claim. A friend of mine had done ~$4,000 worth of work, including a new turbo, forged pistons, valve springs, etc. to one of his cars and got into a wreck. Insurance only paid him the value of the vehicle as if it was stock. They're trying to buy it back at auction to get the engine out of it.

If you do declare the mods, you will see an increase in premiums, but then the mods will also be covered in the event of a wreck. Few people actually take advantage of it out here.

This is correct, and also cover theft in case your car get stolen but your premium will also go up. They will find way to make more money to cover the possible chance of something going wrong or missing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks.

In the UK, they'll look at cosmetic mods as making the car more likely to be stolen, and performance mods as an indication that you're more likely to drive it like you stole it and thus mark you out as a higher risk. I can live with it over here if all I'm risking is not recovering the value of those mods if the car's totalled.

Dammit - now I'm going to be spending hours pouring through threads on various mods. :laugh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only 18% of Americans know how to...

Thanks.

In the UK, they'll look at cosmetic mods as making the car more likely to be stolen, and performance mods as an indication that you're more likely to drive it like you stole it and thus mark you out as a higher risk. I can live with it over here if all I'm risking is not recovering the value of those mods if the car's totalled.

Dammit - now I'm going to be spending hours pouring through threads on various mods. :laugh:
drive a stick/ standard transmission car, so your odds of it getting stolen are a lot less here then in Europe. In fact, in New Orleans, a car jacking occurred where the carjacker didn't know how to drive a standard, and FORCED the young lady back in the car and told her to drive!!!

The poor girl was so scared, she kept popping the clutch and stalling, the perp. just got frustrated and jumped out the car.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/10/11/report-only-18-percent-of-americans-can-drive-manual/

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/04/carjacking_suspects_needed_sti.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
drive a stick/ standard transmission car, so your odds of it getting stolen are a lot less here then in Europe. In fact, in New Orleans, a car jacking occurred where the carjacker didn't know how to drive a standard, and FORCED the young lady back in the car and told her to drive!!!

The poor girl was so scared, she kept popping the clutch and stalling, the perp. just got frustrated and jumped out the car.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/10/11/report-only-18-percent-of-americans-can-drive-manual/

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/04/carjacking_suspects_needed_sti.html
Funny story. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts