Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to get the DV+ and the Phase II tuning when it comes out, but as I peruse the various threads involving problems triggering CELs, I have the sense that a disproportionate number, if not all, of the CEL triggers occur in cars that have installed after-market mods. While this seems especially true for the muffler modifications, it also seems like there is a high correlation between CELs and DV+ and tuning modifications. Am I wrong?

Reactions: billbonn80

·
Registered
185 Posts
Running an intake and aftermarket exhaust along with a madness powermax. 6 weeks in and no CEL yet. Keep in mind I just replaced the muffler and did not disturb the cats or down pipe. It seems most problems are coming from full exhaust system replacement.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I suggest you do the DV+ for now, since the PhaseII is not out yet, If done properly, no Cel light should come on. So doing one at a time, it's easy to spot which mod would light the CEL light if any.

Doing everything all together, and you get a Cell light, then you'll be scratching your head to see which one caused it.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My mods, no issue so far, and the car runs much better than stock.

Eurocompulsion Euro+Drive Phase 1 tune
Eurocompulsion V4.1 intake
Eurocompulsion catch can
NGEN coil packs
GFB DV+
PTP Lava turbo blanket
Remus catback exhaust

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most CELs folks share here do seem to be mod related, as the car is proving very reliable. The thermostat cel being one notable extension. It is true the Cat back exhaust seems prone to a cel if there is trouble removing cross pipe or ECU is not reset. Either way it will take ecu hundreds of miles to fully adjust and folks who mod are more likely to monitor for potential issues and share experience here for benefit of others, or to seek guidance.

As for much lauded DV+, I think most issues reported are from a loose electrical connector, which could happen from fiddling with stock unit when fitting an aftermarket intake or doing an oil change. Few actual Instances of spring issues have been reported and I agree it's worth doing in any case.

I'm not aware of a single CEL caused by a ecu tune, but a few have needed some extra vendor or forum support in the process of flashing their car.

I for one wouldn't do much modding without this kind of collective knowledge base and support network. I look at these sorts of posts as a good sign and indicator of what to look out for. The more squeamish folks can wait for early adopters to make all the boneheaded mistakes and save others a few headaches.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
...As for much lauded DV+, I think most issues reported are from a loose electrical connector, which could happen from fiddling with stock unit when fitting an aftermarket intake or doing an oil change. Few actual Instances of spring issues have been reported and I agree it's worth doing in any case.
I've seen 3 reports of problems with the DV+, myself being one. In my case I had low turbo pressure and a pending code, but no CEL. At the advice of reply to my post here from Greg at Eurocompulsion, I disconnected then reconnected the electrical connector and problem was solved - no recurrence since. I've got a V2 intake, the GFB DV+ (with spring), oil catch can, and EC phase 1 tune and that's the only issue I've had. It could have just as easily occurred with the stock DV after disconnecting it for an oil change.

I've not really seen any mod related issues that people - often with the help of this forum - haven't been able to get figured out. I'm more concerned about getting a cracked windscreen right now than anything mod related.

·
Registered
350 Posts
No CELs for me yet,

GFB DV+ with spring
PTP Turbo blanket
EC V4 air intake
EC oil catch can
EC Phase 1 ECU tune
and numerous non engine related bits.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Only the thermostat CEL for me after washing engine bay. Cleared it and it has not returned.

GFB DV+ with spring
PTP Turbo blanket
EC V4 air intake
EC oil catch can

·
Banned
210 Posts
I'm running a bigger turbo, adapted Forge BOV and a tune. The only code I get is the P04DB which is caused by the breather filter I used on the PCV system. Reconnecting that line to the intake will get rid of that code.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
I keep very close track of CEL issues, especially as they relate to mods.

I can say with certainly that our mods when installed correctly, meaning no loose connections the following is true.

1. Our Euro+Drive tune has caused Zero CELs.
2. Our Euro+Drive Lite has caused Zero CELs.
3. DV+, Zero CELs.
4. Catch Can, Zero CELs
5. V1 Intake with any filter combination Zero CELs
6. V2 or V4 intake, in some very rare cases we may see a P1CEA, which usually when reset usually doesn't come back. The vast majority of people never get a CEL with these intakes.

That's about it, I think you can mod with confidence and be sure you won't get a CEL.

So what mods do cause CELs? Well, the cause is usually improper installation, often a bad connection somewhere, but the same would be true of the stock parts, if you took one off, but didn't get it back on quite right. The only mods on the market that actually do cause CELs are some exhaust mods, NOT sold by us at Eurocompulsion.

Greg

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am running a full GWR exhaust. and a GFB DV+ in addition to a PTP turbo blanket. I have had no issues with a CEL. if care is taken with the removal and reinstallation of the O2 sensor, there should be no problems with a CEL for the exhaust. also care should be taken with disassembly of the OEM diverter valve. if the piston is damaged you may experience problems with leakage..... when doing your own mods, just remember there is a reason mechanics charge upwards of $100.00 an hour....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts